Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Mathews HTR "No Cam" bow

BowCrazed

Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new bow hopefully in the next few months and wanted some input. Has anyone shot the new Mathews HTR "No Cam" bow and what do you think of it? I understand the reason for the design but I would like to know if the theory actually translates into the real world. Seems like there is an obsessive amount of hype but unsure about whether it is really all that great. I have shot the Elite Energy 32, Mathews Creed XS, and several Bowtech bows and am going to go shoot the No Cam. Just wanting some input from you guys before I go drop 1K+ on a bow. Thanks in advance.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
heard a lot of good things, haven't shot it yet!

Go ahead, and shoot the Prime bows, you will not be disappointed!

BowCrazed

Hey thanks At1010, I have heard some good comments on Prime bows but I hadn't considered them. Just checked and there is a archery store that carries Prime bows about an hour away. Good excuse to go try'em out tomorrow.

rsmith

Elites are good as well, I heard the No Cams are good bows, I would head to a couple shops on a weekend and just shoot them to see how they feel

BowCrazed

I found an archery shop somewhat nearby that carries PSE, Bear, Mathews, Hoyt, and Prime bows. It will be awesome to try them all out back to back. That is, if my arms and shoulders will hold up. 😁

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I found an archery shop somewhat nearby that carries PSE, Bear, Mathews, Hoyt, and Prime bows. It will be awesome to try them all out back to back. That is, if my arms and shoulders will hold up.

I live down in Texas and found the same type of shop. I shot them all. I landed on Prime.

I liked how Elite shot, didn't like look/felt bulky
I loved Bowtech
I love Mathews (been a fan for years)
Hoyt and PSE (so-so, seem like good bows for money)
Prime ( hands down fell in love, best bow I have owned, will own for a LONG time)

can't just buy one, got to shoot them!

The no cam is a 80-90s era browning round cam but with bigger dia. Cams. Im not that impressed especially for the price. I like the the bowtech prodigy a lot and after working on one i like it a lot more. Hoyts always rate high on my list. The nitrum's new flex guard is a nice improvement over the previous roller guard. Elite builds nice bows however i dont care for their high let off draw cycle. Primes are very well made and the ones i have shot i do like.

Last edited:

BowCrazed

Thanks everyone for the advice. I was able to go shoot just about all the bows mentioned above. I really like the Prime bows but they had some hand shock. I do realize it didn't have anything to dampen the shock but the guy at the shop said that the new flexible cable guard has added vibration to the bow. I shot the Mathews HTR and I was astonished. It is unbelievably silent and next to no handshock. The draw is smoother than anything I have shot so far. I really like the Mathews but was wondering if anyone owns or has shot an Obsession bow? A local archery shop is an Obsession bow dealer but they don't have any in stock last I checked. Is it worth risking buying a bow from a relatively new company?

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I too thought it was quiet but was not impressed with the draw cycle or back wall. Overall not bad but there are other bows I prefer over the hype of buying a no cam bow.