Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New guy first year in Ohio!

Billyboy2011

Been following u guys all year since I picked up my lease in noble county in January. Thanks for all the good reads over the last year.

Billyboy2011

No sir! Not even close. From uniontown pa. Killed my best buck to date in Ohio on nov 1st. Not big by Ohio standards but I was happy. Next year I won't let the body size surprise me. Lol!

Billyboy2011

So my first year hunting in Ohio was not what I ever expected. It all started in the spring running mineral sites,planting food plots and all that good stuff that keeps me busy until hunting season. Planted power plant out there for the first time and was very impressed with it. Grew 7 feet high and the deer seemed to like it. Pretty good. Also planted an acre of fusion with grew well to. That Ohio dirt is unbelievable. My soil test showed almost no fertilizer was needed. I believe that's why the body size of the deer are so much bigger in Ohio compared to pa. So as the power plant was turning brown in early September I cut 8 foot wide lanes in 4 directions leading to my blind and planted them in oats. That's where I felt like it was going to happen. So after about 12 trips out there planting and dreaming I head out to hunt nov 1. They were calling for rain all day so the plan was to check my cams sit in the blind and just observe. Get all my cards pulled and figured I would set my blind in a creek bottom and check my cards. Get into the bottom start setting up the blind and here comes 2 does from my left. They see me and start blowing and carrying on and I think we'll I'm not going to see any for awhile. Get in the blind go to plug my cards in and look up and there is a doe 20 yds from the blind. Only have the front window open because I didn't want the deer to smell me so I can only see like 40 degrees. Next thing I know the doe is looking at the blind and she doesn't like it. She can't smell me because the wind is right but she knows it's out of place. So as she doing the head bob I can hear crashing to my right. Knew that sound so I got ready to shoot. He steps out where I have a little window to shoot and the doe takes off. Looked good in the 2 seconds I had to make a decision so I shoot. He went about 40 yds and piled up. So after 12 trips planting and all that good stuff I hunted for about 15 min. Oh well. Can't wait for next year !