Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Gun Choice

I'm glad you mentioned the Nikon BDR Spot On scope. I went to the Nikon site and custom changed the figures for my 460 S&W mag at 2650 FPF and got the hold over figures. I'll be getting one of these scopes for my 460 S&W. Thanks http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html#Index:10

I am trying to order one from Cabelas, but they are doing maintenance on the site right now. I called and they said they would be back up and running in about 45 minutes. For $99 I will give it a whirl. There calculator thing is pretty neat.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I may be in the minority here but I think that muzzle brake Ruger slapped on the end of their .450 is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. And I wonder if it hurts your ears about like every other muzzle brake or compensator I've shot. On the range it's a non-issue, but how many guys actually hunt while wearing ear protection?

I may be in the minority here but I think that muzzle brake Ruger slapped on the end of their .450 is one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. And I wonder if it hurts your ears about like every other muzzle brake or compensator I've shot. On the range it's a non-issue, but how many guys actually hunt while wearing ear protection?

I agree that it isn't the prettiest gun, but if I wanted pretty I would have bought a Henry Lever. Anyhow I bought the Ruger today. Just have to wait on my scope to come in from Cabelas.

It's a legit 300 yd gun, for whitetail. Once you put your hands on that tiny thing you'll wonder why anyone would hunt with anything else. Ruger knocked it out of the park with this one.

What ammo are you using? I bought some Hornady Black 250 gr FTX as that is what they had at the gunshop. Hoping my scope comes in tomorrow from Cabelas, so that I can sight in this Sunday.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What ammo are you using? I bought some Hornady Black 250 gr FTX as that is what they had at the gunshop. Hoping my scope comes in tomorrow from Cabelas, so that I can sight in this Sunday.

Seems to be the go to round for that gun....

Sighted in the Ruger American 450 Bushmaster today and I was impressed with it. It shot well and the recoil was very mild. It is less than an inline or a slug gun and probably just slightly more than a .243. I was expecting it to kick harder. My 14 year old son shot it and said that it was nice shooting with little recoil. Shot it out to 200 yards.

Also shot it thru a piece of 4X6 wood and it made kindling out of it. LOL.

Glad I made the post here before I bought something else.

Trueroots

Norton , Ohio
Just ordered the Ruger 450. Black Kryptek stock, Leupold VX 3i CDS and 22” Stainless barrel with magnum muzzle break. Can’t wait to put my hands on it. Unfortunately I gotta wait two weeks for the stock. Super pumped!!!! Absolute game changer for me.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I never jumped on the sabot slug bandwagon. I do like inline muzzle loaders. I even have a real nice 45/70. I've always found my 1100 with foster style slugs more than adequate. That little Ruger will be the reason the 1100 stays home.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just ordered the Ruger 450. Black Kryptek stock, Leupold VX 3i CDS and 22” Stainless barrel with magnum muzzle break. Can’t wait to put my hands on it. Unfortunately I gotta wait two weeks for the stock. Super pumped!!!! Absolute game changer for me.

Any pictures of this setup? Seriously looking into this gun... Was leaning to a lever gun but this has me changing my mind...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Any pictures of this setup? Seriously looking into this gun... Was leaning to a lever gun but this has me changing my mind...

I've had my custom Marlin 45-70 rifle for 30 yrs and will give to the grandsons. I would not buy another since there are flatter shooting rifle available now.
My new TC Encore 460 S&W Mag is 50% flatter shooting than the 45-70 is. That extra 650 FPS bullet speed up to 2650 FPS makes a world of difference in flat shooting.
Had to sight in 7" high at 100 yds to be dead on at 200 yds with the 45-70.
With the 460 S&W only 3.5" high at 100 yds to be dead on at 200 yds.
The 450 Bushmaster rifle should be right up there with my 460 S&W.
I just today ordered the Nikon 3-9 scope with BDC yardage lines for the 45-70 to get away with the hold over at longer ranges.