Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need Advice lol

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Ok here is the situation

I got two good properties to hunt, Both small in size, #1 is 13.5 acres of woods and I am able to hunt the surrounding fields and creeks, #2 30 acres of woods I can hunt and 20 acres of woods that is off limits.

#1 Has decent bucks traveling through it and I saw deer every time last year, this year 0-3 but the corn just came off ! There are big bucks that hang around that section and travel the creeks and neighboring woods. Deer numbers are average to above average for this section. It will be a matter of time before a deer crosses my path. I am the only one who has permission but some kid hunts the property line and sets up on the fence row and lets his scent blow right into the woods so that might be why I am not seeing deer.

#2 Is a legitimate goldmine, however, the deer seriously stay in that northern 20 acres and rarely travel south of the property line. But there is the kicker, there are up to 60+ deer that can be seen around this woods after gun law, and there are monsters! I took a cellphone/monoscope pic one that was borderline B&C and a trail cam pic of one that was 150-160 last year. I believe that the owners might let some gun hunters only in but as far as bow I am the only one besides a guy who lives in SC.

I know there is more info and visuals that could help out but I am going to have time this weekend and want to get your guys opinions I am torn with both but know my chances of a monster going by are much greater at #2

Thanks for the advice!

Bigcountry40

Has a fellow north woods smaller parcel hunter myself, I have basically excepted the fact that I rely on luck much more than time of day patterns , the woods I hunt are typically travel or pass through woods, I try to guess the deers best days of movement and set up around their travel path.

angelzd28

This time of year, go with #2. If there is a spot to set up close to the 20 acres, I would do that, and maybe some rattling and cold calling to get them over your way. Good luck either way!

Bigcountry40

This time of year, go with #2. If there is a spot to set up close to the 20 acres, I would do that, and maybe some rattling and cold calling to get them over your way. Good luck either way!

I've never had any luck rattling in NW Ohio in my small woods parcels , its probably because the amount of deer in my area is so low. I have grunted several in, I have absolutely nothing to support this but I think rattling is more a big woods/dense deer population tactic

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio

walters big area.jpg

walters.jpg