Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need a new place

jeremy44230

Medina County
Ok, I am completely frustrated with the property that I hunt. What is the best way to find a new property? I will be knocking on doors this year and next with high hopes... I would be willing to lease a place at this point in time.

What's the best way to approach people to lease their land.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Ok, I am completely frustrated with the property that I hunt. What is the best way to find a new property? I will be knocking on doors this year and next with high hopes... I would be willing to lease a place at this point in time.

What's the best way to approach people to lease their land.

Jeremy, I wouldn't approach anyone for a lease right off the back. I would start with knocking on some doors and getting some written permission to just hunt for now. Than once you have built a relationship and have some rapport with the landowner after a year or two, then approach the possibility of the lease. Atleast in my area, if we went around knocking on doors of people we didn't know, and started rattling off details of lease, I doubt we would be able to lock up any land at all.

Best of luck!

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I agree many owners frown upon people who try and lease their property, especially if they have friends and family who hunt it. However, some people are all about the mighty dollar.

In this day and time if you gain permission to a farm (not leasing) pretty much count on other people hunting it. If they will let you hunt, they will let others hunt as well. The only way to get out of that is by leasing or owning it yourself.

You never shared why you are frustrated with the current property you hunt. Is it from pressure?

jeremy44230

Medina County
The reason for my frustration is I believe too much pressure... There is tons of sign, but I never see many deer. I am convinced that they move in there at night. I typically go by myself and take all the necessary precautions (scent free showers, scent smoker, etc.) and I set my stands pre-season. I called several bucks in last weekend, but they are always small and immature bucks 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds... I don't even see that many does. This is in Coshocton and it just doesn't make sense especially since there is so much sign there. I will be planting some forage food plots next season to see if it makes a difference. The only good thing is that we do see the numbers in muzzleloader season. I shot a mature 11 pointer last season during muzzleloader that scored between 130 and 140, but this was the biggest deer that I have seen there. I have had cameras up since April and have seen no mature bucks...

I am open to advice and comments from anyone. I have hunted property a few miles away and saw the numbers that I should for this area.

saddlepants

central Ohio
That may answer your question right there. I used to hunt Cosh co as well. If your seeing sign and your thinking night time and muzzel then it may be a last choice place to go for the deer. Not enough of what they want there but they head there when under pressure instead. Could be the opposite of what ur thinkin. Whats the food sources like there? Any good cliff hemlock areas?

jeremy44230

Medina County
The crops surrounding this property are better than a half mile away and are coming down now. The property is about 95% woods and thickets... Some surrounding properties must have food plots or feeders. There is no reason for the deer not to be in these woods given the amount of sign in them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
In regards to gaining access to new property, there are a few ways to go about it IMO. I like to road scout, meaning I'll drive around our county scouting land as much as deer. Once I find an area I am interested in, I'll go to Google Maps and check the aerials of the location. We have a great site via the County Auditor that allows you to search property owners, then view and aerial of the property. I see Coshocton County has a site, but I'm not sure how user friendly it is... http://www.coshcoauditor.org/Search/GenericSearch.aspx?mode=ADDRESS

Once I have pinpointed a piece of property I want to hunt, then it is time to meet the landowner. I always take a color photo copy of my hunting license, divers license, a picture of my truck, my quad, and a short letter explaining who I am with my contact information. I also take two copies of the permission slip so they can have a slip as well. I knock on strangers doors for a living, so I've developed a solid game plan for getting a foot in the door. I rarely secure permission from other landowners thanks to having a good bit of land in the family, but when I have used this approach in the past, it has worked to perfection. After you get to know the landowner, then talk of leasing can be had.

Good luck finding some new ground. The other approach is to get crazy hunting the stuff you have now. Try some new spots. Pick one or two places where you think deer will go, but have never given much thought to hunting. Tough times call for creative thinking. This weekend might be a great time to try something new!!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Here's my approach to finding & trying to secure new hunting spots. It's a bit of a read but hopefully you'll find something helpful in it all...

If the overall challenge of hunting wasn't enough in and of itself, add onto that the challenge of finding a quality hunting spot on private property, while then gaining permission from the land owner, and it takes things to another level. Sure, there are plenty of opportunities on public ground across the state, and across the country for that matter. I've taken both fowl and fur from public grounds and will always continue to do so. In fact, some of my most memorable hunts have been on public grounds, but these public spots get pounded with pressure at times, and the closer to a major metro area the land is, the higher the pressure becomes. That's where having access to some private property, with a little lighter load of foot traffic, can provide a nice balance to the honey hole mix in your hunting rotation.

It's been said that nothing in life worth a damn comes to you easily. The harder you work for things, the more rewarding the experience at the end of the day. That certainly applies to any kind of hunting you're involved with, and searching for quality places to hunt. Its hard to imagine just how many hours I have invested in trying to find new places to hunt because I just embrace it as part of the process. What follows in the next few paragraphs is a brief overview of the approach that I currently take with things. Every year this process seems to evolve into something slightly better than the year before, and it's certainly not a magic solution that guarantees success. In fact it's far from it. But, hopefully some of the things I've learned through reading, talking to other successful hunters, along with my own trials and errors can help you out along the way.

The first step I take is always based in research. Like most hunters, my head is always on a swivel when I'm driving down the road. In a way I'm always scouting, looking for game as I go back and forth to work, running errands, going to little league games, what ever I'm doing, I'm scouting. Once I find a spot that shows promise I make a note of the location, and hit the computer. The county auditor website usually contains the property owner contact information along with a map of the property. Some auditor websites are easier to navigate than others, so a phone call to the auditor's office sometimes comes into play if help is needed. If everything looks promising from a bird's eye view on the computer screen, meaning I can hunt with good entry & exit routes, prevailing winds should be in my favor, surrounding properties or habitat look to funnel game, etc, then I move on to step two.

Step two is personalizing an information packet that I take with me when I knock on a door. The first page is a professional cover letter addressed to the particular property owner I'm going to see. My cover letters are specific, in that I state my intentions, whether I'm looking to bow hunt deer, field hunt Canada geese, or call coyotes. I spell it all out. The property address or location is also mentioned in the body of the letter so that it quickly allows the land owner to see that I've done my research and know about the land I'm seeking permission on. Often times you'll find a property in which the actual owner lives elsewhere, or owns multiple parcels. This helps provide clarification as to which piece of ground you're hoping to gain access to.

Moving on past the cover letter, I also include an aerial map of the property with the boundary outlined as my second page in the information packet. Again, this reinforces that I've done the background work, and I'm approaching them in a prepared fashion. I also try to show the land owner the map. Often times they're surprised that this information is being presented to them, and it allows further conversation about the property. On those rare occasions when the land owner grants permission, the map usually becomes a focal point of conversation. I ask basic questions like where they would like me to park, what have been the game movements that they've noticed, or is there anything particular I should know about the parcel before stepping foot onto it?

Page three is a basic, single page hunting resume. Included are points of interest, types of game pursued, and any specific training or accomplishments that will demonstrate responsibility. For example, the completion of a hunter safety course, a bow hunter safety course, additional outdoor education programs that I've participated in, controller hunt qualifications such as archery tests. Do you donate deer to food pantries, or share venison with land owners? Include that in the resume. Extra labor around the farm to help earn the permission? State that clearly in the resume. References available from other land owners? Member of a local conservation club? Let the resume tell the story. You get the point here. The overall goal is for me to condense as much positive information about who I am, and what I've done throughout my hunting pursuits as possible.

In the final portion of my information packet, I include a completed copy of the permission slip. The only lines I leave empty are the date, and the land owner signature area. Everything else is filled out, and ready to go. I refer to the permission slip in the cover letter, making certain to point out that this is a requirement by the state for me to have, as well as a liability release for the land owner. My reason for addressing the liability concern in the opening cover letter is because over the years, that has single handily, got to be the most frequently used reason I've heard for people not allowing hunting. "Oh, I can't help you there. We just don't allow hunting because of the liability." You can provide a quick bit of education right up front should that come up, and hopefully be able to over come any concerns.

Of course, the land owner can, and often will, still say "no thank you" despite all of this effort that you've just put in. As frustrating as hearing that "no" can be, and believe me, I've been there time and time again. That's still OK. You've done everything in a very cordial and prepared fashion, which not only holds you in a positive light, but hopefully reflects a positive image of a "hunter" in their eye. That in itself is a very good thing when it comes to dealing with the non-hunting population who may only have a stereotypical view of hunters from what they've heard or seen on television. Plus you've also just put together a great packet to leave behind.

When I'm told "no" by a land owner, my response is simply to smile, say that I understand, thank them for their time, and ask if I could leave the packet behind for them to hold onto and review if something should ever change. 99% of the time they say "yes" to leaving the packet and hold onto my information. And actually, I have received one or two calls back over the years where permission was denied at first, but then granted once people have read though all of the information. In my mind that makes it worth it to have that packet each and every time I knock on a door. Plus, you can always follow back up with them next spring, who knows, maybe the second, or even third time around will be the charm.

Lastly, for those truly wonderful and amazing land owners who have been gracious enough to allow me permission to go out and hunt on their properties, I make darn sure to show my appreciation throughout the year. Quick phone calls every once and a while to check in and let them know that I've been hunting, or if I've had some success. The offering of venison is always extended for any deer that I'm fortunate enough to take on private property is a given. Christmas cards are sent, and after the season I always make sure to take a gift of some sorts. I'm blessed to have a wife who is gifted with just about any and all baked goods, so most often we make our own gift baskets with home made cookies, brownies, and bread with a thank you card that I personally deliver in February or March. This is a nice time of the year to visit with people, show your gratitude, and even re-establish permission for the following season!

You see, the process is always on going. We're already back to the early part of spring now when you're taking gifts out to land owners, and it's time to start looking for next season's new spots to hunt, while hopefully securing the places you currently have. It's all done in the effort to combine a few private property spots, with a mixture of public ground if any exists nearby, in order to build up your list of hunting ground options. Which at the end of the season can prove to be a very rewarding endeavour.