Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

my scent smoker experience

ya heard it before , and gonna hear it again . I was very skeptic over the scent smoker , i baught one second hand back in november figured i would give it a try , boy o boy if i would have had this the 8 pointer i hunted this year would be on my wall right now, i really didnt get to use it to much till gun season , the property i was hunting had very little pressure considering i was the only one hunting it so the deer were still pretty much on thier normal every day habits.

first time i used it i had 3 does almost directly under my stand and the meanderd down the deer path which took them straight down wind of me , i figured the would smell me for sure , once the got into the wind current one doe lifted her headtook a couple sniffs and went back to following the other two does , 1 point for the smoker .

bout mid week of gun season im hunting another property that had been punded by the orange army all week, these deer were extremely skiddish , well the property owner wanted some does taken off the property and we were informed to drop any mature doe with in range ( provided you had the tags for them ) the stuck me in the worst possible spot for a drive wind is to my back blowing along the hillside and the drivers are driving straight towards me , anything coming at me for sure is gonna smell me and not come in range , halfway through the drive 2 does walk straight towards me into the wind which would put them straight down wind of me , i figure ok im all oranged up they are gonna see me befotre they smell me , boy was i wrong they walked straight at me and stopped 30 feet with my scent blowing right up thier noses , nither one of them even flickerd a nostril
doe number one on the ground with a ten yard neck shot
doe number two came in the extra weekend i decided to go out before i had to go to church and watch my daughters play ( no the church didnt explode when i walked through the doors it shook a little bit but didnt fall ) had a nice 9 point at 30 yards along with 4 does , the buck seen my movemnt of me pullin up my gun and took off , the does just stood there , when the came with in range i dropped the biggest one of the bunch , doe number two for the smoker , and point number two for the smoker .

well , while i am gutting her out near the creek i hear a deer bleating behind me , i think i took out the youngens momma so i figure he is gonna see me or smell me and take off , wrong, this little bugger came in to with in 30 yards from me , im standing stone still with camera in hand pointed at him , he can see me and see me move but he cant smell me and its driving him nuts , his nose is going 90 mile an hour trying to pick up my scent , after i snapped a picture i yelled boo and he takes off like a bat out of hell , point number three for the smoker , so needless to say im sold on the smoker

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1322961432980.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322961432980.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 2011-12-18_13-45-16_322.jpg
    2011-12-18_13-45-16_322.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 222

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Okay, so you have been hunting what 20yrs or something? Now all of the sudden you magically are able to pass on small bucks and button bucks? This is because of the Scent Smoker? I am just trying to follow. Sorry.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Okay, so you have been hunting what 20yrs or something? Now all of the sudden you magically are able to pass on small bucks and button bucks? This is because of the Scent Smoker? I am just trying to follow. Sorry.

Kinda my thoughts. The smoker covers scent, it doesn't promote management epiphanies...

the smoker gave me the confidence to sit and wait and not worry bout getting busted , which gave me the chance to pick my shots and the deer i wanted , normally i would shoot any deer mature or not that came with in range , cause i was afraid i wouldnt get another opportunity on a deer but now that i have a good cover scent i have the confidence that its not gonna be my only shot on a deer so i can sit and wait for the mature deer , and after having the big 8 point come in to 40 yards early in the year , the adrenaline rush , the beauty of seeing a mature deer that close and not know im there , just flipped a switch in my head and showed me what i have been missing all these years , confidence is what i have been missing all these years

the switch got flipped halway through the season , and i garuntee you will never see one of my tags on anothe immature deer unless it was a mercy kill , walking up on a mature smart deer that i harvested and managed to outsmart was alot more fulfilling to me then any big catfish i could catch , but like i said the smoker just gave me the confidence i needed

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad to hear the BB's are safe!lol

Seriously though Mark, glad you were successful in putting meat in the freezer this year and glad you're stepping up your goals. Good job!