Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My ghillie suit buck

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I did quite a bit of ground hunting prior to this past Friday with success coming during the early muzzy season. It was pretty dead on three properties since that weekend with only limited sightings of bucks and does on several different properties. When I got out to my spot at 3pm, I had a feeling that it was going to happen. There was almost no wind coming out of the west and it was dead quiet. I saw the first buck at 3:57. He was coming in from the extreme north east of the property he was a nice 8pt. He disappeared in the woods to the west. At 5:29 a small 4 pt that I've seen before came from the north east and kept coming towards me south. I thought I'd do some can calling just to mess with him. That was entertaining until I heard something get up behind me. I looked over my shoulder and my buck, a shooter in my eyes, starts moving east. He quickly made it to the east side of the small woodlot and headed north and then turned the corner west. Walking at first, he started to trot toward my position. Oh shit, it's gonna happen! My heart was pounding out of my chest. I could feel my pulse in my neck. As he gets near the edge of the corn, I bleat loudly and he stops dead in his tracks broadside right in front of me. I pulled the trigger on my crossbow and hit him perfectly. He ran off to the north west, falling and dying in sight. I was overwhelmed with emotion. I finally made it happen with an arrow! This will be one of those hunts that I'll never forget.

Yellow indicates corn. The corn was already off in the south field. The green is some type of green crop. The red X is where I was sitting and the blue dot is where I shot him.

Attachments

• wubuck1.jpg
    wubuck1.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 77
  • wubuck2.jpg
    wubuck2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 70
  • wubuck4.jpg
    wubuck4.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like funky bucks. You are a funky young buck yourself Mike! I mean that as a compliment. Happy for you brother! Congrats on a fine buck.