Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My archery career.... of misses (venting/looking for encouragement)

Schu72

Streetsboro
I was always taught to put the pin where you want the arrow to exit. You are shooting a 3D object not paper. I'm sure some others will chime in, but I don't beleive you want to be aiming high. Either right on your spot or a little low.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I was always taught to put the pin where you want the arrow to exit. You are shooting a 3D object not paper. I'm sure some others will chime in, but I don't beleive you want to be aiming high. Either right on your spot or a little low.

I believe you are correct Shu. Has to do with the angle, the arrow always hits HIGHER than expected so many ppl tend to aim a bit lower.

with as fast as many bows are today and depending on Angle of shot, should only be a matter of an inch or two I would think.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
alright I always thought if you aim high on the lungs by the time the arrow comes out the other side it's a couple inches lower based on shot angle

High lung is not a good place to be. If there is 2-3" in difference between the entrance and exit, then being mid to low lung still means you are making a perfect shot. Even if you miss a little high. Aim high and miss high, life can get ugly. Add in a deer that jumps the string and you are really pissed. We had this discussion in another thread. Poll 100 veteran hunters on whether they would rather miss high or miss low and I bet 99 of them say they'll take a low hit over a high hit every time.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Also to avoid the deer dropping at release try not to grunt or bleat at the deer. That usually stops them but any time I've done it the deer looks right at me. That happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I missed a doe. I had to do something to stop her in the shooting lane but it let her know I was there. I just read something the other day about a guide that tells his clients to whistle to stop a deer. He claims it stops them but doesn't alarm them. He thinks they think its a bird or something so they stop but are more curious than alarmed. I may try it next time I need to stop a deer.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
High lung is not a good place to be. If there is 2-3" in difference between the entrance and exit, then being mid to low lung still means you are making a perfect shot. Even if you miss a little high. Aim high and miss high, life can get ugly. Add in a deer that jumps the string and you are really pissed. We had this discussion in another thread. Poll 100 veteran hunters on whether they would rather miss high or miss low and I bet 99 of them say they'll take a low hit over a high hit every time.

why I love this site! grade A advice from guys who know a lot more than me!

Like I mentioned to you TeeJ Dr. Grant Woods mentions he always aims just above that elbow, theres a tuff of white hair there as well. If deer jump string he lungs them, if deer doesnt move he heart shoots them.

This thread has been very good and lots of great advice!

teej89

NE PA
Like I mentioned to you TeeJ Dr. Grant Woods mentions he always aims just above that elbow, theres a tuff of white hair there as well. If deer jump string he lungs them, if deer doesnt move he heart shoots them.

I'll have to give that a try, thanks man!

Jesse - what back tension release would you recommend? And I was actually thinking of saving some $$$ and getting a shooting coach this winter for a couple lessons, was your guy local/does he give lessons?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I took lessons from Dustin Bounce and Jim Hadley at Hadley's in Akron when I lived in Kent. Bit of a drive for you.

I bought a TRU Ball BT Gold 4 finger. I have since sold it and now shoot a Stan Shootoff Quattro 4 finger. While not quite the same as a true half moon and sear edge back tension, it adjusts light enough that I can shoot it in almost the same manner as I learned to shoot the BT Gold. Advantage being I can make the Stan go off if needed (although a bad habit) and you can't make a back tension go off at will without completely abandoning form. Or at least I couldn't.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
ttp://www.growingdeer.tv/?ep=bow-hunting-opening-day-buck-down#/bow-hunting-opening-day-buck-down

this is the link. Go to 12mins you see him shoot the doe, then gives an explanation afterwards! This takes place at 14:46

hope this helps!

teej89

NE PA
Awesome video AT, i like how they showed the deers outline at the instant of the shot versus impact.

Jesse, I wouldn't mind driving that far actually. Do they give out lessons to anyone?

Kaiser878

ohio
Im a bit of a gambler.....I have a really really bad habit of tucking the crease as tight as I can....You look at most all of my deer photos and the hole is as close to the shoulder as possible....... Its a really bad habit....My buddy gives me flack all the time for it..... I have tried to break myself of it but I cant ever force myself to aim a little further back.......

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Im a bit of a gambler.....I have a really really bad habit of tucking the crease as tight as I can....You look at most all of my deer photos and the hole is as close to the shoulder as possible....... Its a really bad habit....My buddy gives me flack all the time for it..... I have tried to break myself of it but I cant ever force myself to aim a little further back.......

I am going to debate you for two reasons
1. you have killed a bunch of deer, and great bucks
2. I see more ppl shooting deer too far back because they are so worried about the should.

IMO if you dont hit the deer high, and its within 30 yard, no matter the BH you are going to bust through that bone, and kill that deer. I personally am trying to do more of what your are doign with your Aim Point Kaiser. I think thats a darn good habit, and it has worked for you over and over again from what I have seen.

PS I shoot ( rage hypodermics, not starting a BH debate)

Albert

Kaiser878

ohio
I am going to debate you for two reasons
1. you have killed a bunch of deer, and great bucks
2. I see more ppl shooting deer too far back because they are so worried about the should.

IMO if you dont hit the deer high, and its within 30 yard, no matter the BH you are going to bust through that bone, and kill that deer. I personally am trying to do more of what your are doign with your Aim Point Kaiser. I think thats a darn good habit, and it has worked for you over and over again from what I have seen.

PS I shoot ( rage hypodermics, not starting a BH debate)

Albert

In the course of my hunting career I have lost 3 with a bow...All three hit the knuckle of the shoulder and got zero penetration. 1 with muzzy, 1 with a wasp, 1 with a rage..... I dont think its a good habit to ever get into...Although, when executed correctly, they dont go far..... Literally 30-60 yards it seems.... There is a lot of lung area to aim for..... I wish I didnt have an affinity to the crease.... there i just something about watching my arrow drop right into it..... dead deer walking... man that almost started getting kinda kinky..hahahaha

at1010

*Supporting Member*
In the course of my hunting career I have lost 3 with a bow...All three hit the knuckle of the shoulder and got zero penetration. 1 with muzzy, 1 with a wasp, 1 with a rage..... I dont think its a good habit to ever get into...Although, when executed correctly, they dont go far..... Literally 30-60 yards it seems.... There is a lot of lung area to aim for..... I wish I didnt have an affinity to the crease.... there i just something about watching my arrow drop right into it..... dead deer walking... man that almost started getting kinda kinky..hahahaha

3 deer but how many have you killed? My point being that many many many guys shoot deer far back because they are so afraid of the shoulder, I think you need to be aware of it but I think it is a mistake to fear it! I have faith in my gear, and self that I can put it behind that shoulder.

I agree with you too kaiser, just playing devils advocate a bit. But with my own experience I rather shoot a deer in the shoulder and not get penetration that shoot them too far back, I honestly dont see my not penetrating enough to kill them very often. Shooting far back, that deer can go for MILES!