Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mossy Oak Properties...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
They deliberately try to run up prices in properties..so the average man can't afford an reasonable place. They roll their Rick stars out and to to look all shiny and hipsters yet they are shutting out the poorer folks for their "rockabillies"

DandaMan

I never thought about it before but im always wondering why this time of year I see tons of vehicles with new York plates. You guys think they are here hunting? Idk what new York deer hunting is like.

The hunting is very good in NY. The problem is its only a few hours away and you can't turn on the outdoor/sportsman channel without seeing a show featuring Deer hunting in Ohio. People don't come here from NY to kill deer they come here with dreams of killing big deer.

Bigcountry40

I hate outdoor channel, MOP and anyone else that has made hunting a rich man sport. I have come to the conclusion that it is out of my control and I can always hunt woodbury or state land somewhere down south. Give me 5 or 6 beers and Ill bitch about it for hours. But it has turned hunters against each other. Private land that is still permission friendly is becoming a battle ground and like state land during gun season. I just hope I can always afford to hunt. We may have to shift hunting up to Michigan before Mossy Oak takes over that state as well

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
The hunting is very good in NY. The problem is its only a few hours away and you can't turn on the outdoor/sportsman channel without seeing a show featuring Deer hunting in Ohio. People don't come here from NY to kill deer they come here with dreams of killing big deer.

This is true for most east coast states. There's not a lack of numbers of deer but a lack of great deer. Ohio is the closest state geographically to most eastern states that can offer the chance at a real stud. I know for most states from Maine to South Carolina a 125 inch deer is as good as it gets. In the midwest that's not even a shooter to most resident hunters. Now, after coming to hunt Ohio for the last 5 years and coming home without a buck I can honestly say it's a little bit of fools gold. Trying to come to a new state, hunt a piece of land you are not familiar with and knock down a stud in a limited amount of time is not easy. I know it happens but I bet the success rate on bucks 140 or greater by non-residents is less than 10%.

Bigcountry40

Is there qualifications for Mossy Oak properties, what makes it MO worthy? In some ways this could be considered a Monopoly if they begin to control the majority of the properties.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is true for most east coast states. There's not a lack of numbers of deer but a lack of great deer. Ohio is the closest state geographically to most eastern states that can offer the chance at a real stud. I know for most states from Maine to South Carolina a 125 inch deer is as good as it gets. In the midwest that's not even a shooter to most resident hunters. Now, after coming to hunt Ohio for the last 5 years and coming home without a buck I can honestly say it's a little bit of fools gold. Trying to come to a new state, hunt a piece of land you are not familiar with and knock down a stud in a limited amount of time is not easy. I know it happens but I bet the success rate on bucks 140 or greater by non-residents is less than 10%.

What if I told you that knocking down a 140 was less than 1% for resident and non residents combined. It's fools gold. That's not to say that the hunting isn't good. It is. But most are chasing a fairytale.

Buckmaster

Portage
Trying to come to a new state, hunt a piece of land you are not familiar with and knock down a stud in a limited amount of time is not easy.

From my personal experience things really begin to heat up Nov 6-9 over the past 10 years.
Next year try to make your arrival on Nov 6 and depart around the 13th.
You'll get closer to the 1%er.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
From my personal experience things really begin to heat up Nov 6-9 over the past 10 years.
Next year try to make your arrival on Nov 6 and depart around the 13th.
You'll get closer to the 1%er.
I've been during those dates too. I think in the last 5 years Ive hunted all dates between 10/22 -11/15 during one trip or another. My overall point is even with the best conditions it is still very tough. Like I said it's a bit of fools gold.

What if I told you that knocking down a 140 was less than 1% for resident and non residents combined. It's fools gold. That's not to say that the hunting isn't good. It is. But most are chasing a fairytale.

Generally speaking I think that in some of that states people are fooling them self into thinking their chances are higher going one state over versus dedicating time in their home state where they have more time to dedicate. Regarding NY at least western NY and western PA large deer (140") plus deer can be found it just takes a little more work than it may in Ohio where they are more abundant.

I have always said the Alleghany National Forest (PA Side) and the Alleghany State Park (NY Side) is one of the best kept secrets when it comes to monstrous whitetail. The reason why is because the rest of the state gets a lot more hunting pressure and the lifespan of buck become cyclistic (2.5 year olds get shot every year). In these larger lots of land the deer live to be upwards of 7+ thus they get to see their full potential. If you would see the camera pictures and some of the bucks that are shot by residents in these areas they are every bit as big as most found in Ohio.

This is too true, more and more land is being leased. Back in my hometown in PA, farms we used to hunt are now being leased by non-resi's. This is the sole reason i'm trying to move out west. Good luck to MOP to buy the hundreds of thousands of acres of public land.

As a fellow PA'er I am unfortunately seeing the same thing but its mostly in state people leasing property so others can't hunt. I have not run into many out of state people that were not at one point a resident as I find it hard to believe their is anything remotely great that would make PA into a "destination" hunting location. With that being said a majority of the land we used to Bear drive and/or even hunt in general is now posted due to leasing. The shame of it is the idiots only hunt (3) days of rifle so the other 362 days of the year I cant hunt small game or anything on it. I am hoping that the property tax increase last years drives the leasing prices so high that a lot of them fall through.

After I was called lucky to own my own land a few days ago I did a LandWatch search of Ohio properties for sale. I searched hunting properties that cost from $1 to $49,999. I used this criteria because I stated guys could buy land for the price of a new pickup. Many of the properties were offer by MOP. I seen parcels up to 35 acres that were within my search criteria. I can't say what these lands were like, but land is still affordable for what I would consider a reasonable cost. I stand on my statement that it is all about choice.

MOP is more a less a real estate broker.

After I was called lucky to own my own land a few days ago I did a LandWatch search of Ohio properties for sale. I searched hunting properties that cost from $1 to $49,999. I used this criteria because I stated guys could buy land for the price of a new pickup. Many of the properties were offer by MOP. I seen parcels up to 35 acres that were within my search criteria. I can't say what these lands were like, but land is still affordable for what I would consider a reasonable cost. I stand on my statement that it is all about choice.

MOP is more a less a real estate broker.

One thing I notice is that most MOP parcels are without Surface/Mineral Rights and usually have some sort of harvest done on their trees. I am not sure if this is coincidental or if they have some sort of influence in advising sellers to make as much money on the land before selling. Does MOP actually buy properties to sell or are they more like a realtor agency to aid others?

DandaMan

I have always said the Alleghany National Forest (PA Side) and the Alleghany State Park (NY Side) is one of the best kept secrets when it comes to monstrous whitetail. The reason why is because the rest of the state gets a lot more hunting pressure and the lifespan of buck become cyclistic (2.5 year olds get shot every year). In these larger lots of land the deer live to be upwards of 7+ thus they get to see their full potential. If you would see the camera pictures and some of the bucks that are shot by residents in these areas they are every bit as big as most found in Ohio.

Agree. I use to hunt Letchworth during bow and opening day of gun season and it was not uncommon to see twenty deer a day. Definitely seen some big bucks come out of there too.