Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Moon

reo

N.E. Ohio
I usually take vacation the 2nd week of November but this year the full moon is right in the middle of the week and I am not a fan of hunting during or near the full moon. What would you do?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The week before should be great. Right on the heels of the end of October pre lock and some great moon rise times should be AWESOME for the big boys to move during daylight looking for those first does to pop.

NCridgehunter

I will be heading that way on the 30th of October through the 7th of November. If you follow Wayne Laroche's and Charles Alsheimer's lunar calendar (which I do) they state that a peak in chasing will start on the 30th and continue to about the 14th. They predicted pretty much the same dates in 2012 and were right on it. Big boys should be on their feet for sure during that time. Cant wait!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Ignore the moon and hunt the dates. Despite a lot of claims there is not a clear link between rut activity and moon phase. However historical rut data shows that no matter what the moon is doing most rut activity (big bucks on their feet) takes place at the same time year over year.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I'm with Curran on this one. The only difference I've noticed with a full moon during the rut is a lot more morning activity then normal. And later in the morning is what I've recorded in the past years. Just my 2 cents. But it happens every year within 10 days or so. Just be in the tree during the last week in October thru the 10th or so of November as much as possible and you should see bucks.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Im off Oct 28 through Nov 17. Anytime out there is good full moon or not once the rut starts kicking.

Now that is how you put yourself in the cat bird seat!:smiley_clap:

Awesome Brian!!! That's what it takes to increase your chances! Accessibility and ass time are essential and buddy you got it!

I'm low on vaykay this year and will have to rely on my off days and some evenings to get it done this year. Might use a day of vacation next to Veterans Day or my off days to give me a small stretch to hunt.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Chad and Ric I am also off Nov 20-23 and 27-30th. Planned my time off wisely this year. LOL Really looking forward to it as it will allow me to be choosy and hell.. using the recurve this year I might need more time. LMAO

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Chad and Ric I am also off Nov 20-23 and 27-30th. Planned my time off wisely this year. LOL Really looking forward to it as it will allow me to be choosy and hell.. using the recurve this year I might need more time. LMAO

You got it made! Shoot a dandy, then snare some yotes!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I am going to take halloween off, and Nov. 3rd hunt 4 days straight, not sure about what other 2 days. I only have 4 1/2 days of vacation left, so I have to be picky.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm going to hunt everyday after work. I get off at 2:30 and most of my spots are within 5-10 minutes from work. I also have weekends off and I might see if I can get a 3-4 day weekend at the beginning of November.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Just some more reading on the moon... this was copied & pasted from Mark Kenyon at Wired to Hunt, covering a presentation given by Dr. Craig Harper at the QDMA Nat'l convention about debunking the top 10 deer myths.

Moon-Phase Rut Predictions: Here’s one of the most popular debates in the world of deer hunting, how to predict the rut. There are several much discussed theories that link moon phase to inducing rutting behaviors in whitetails, but Dr. Harper insisted that the research undoubtedly proves this to be false. Several studies were cited that showed no connection between moon phase and actual breeding, and I think that’s the key point to take note of. These studies examine the actual date of breeding and conception. This can be determined with various fetus measurements, and these measurements across most of the country show a very consistent peak breeding date that does not change year to year with moon phase. What these studies don’t take note of though are breeding related behaviors during daylight, which are what most hunters look for during the rut, and these may or may not be influenced by moon phase.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I find that interesting. I never understood the whole moon thing anyway. So I guess I can forget everything I didn't understand. Is that about right?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Tonight is the closest full moon we will have all year. It will appear 20% bigger than normal due to bring near earth.