Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Modern bullets in lever action deer rifles

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Since centerfire rifles are becoming popular for deer hunting in Ohio here is a good article for loading modern bullets in lever actions.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/2/28/modern-bullets-in-lever-gun-cartridges/

On another note when I was at the gunclub today sighting in my 460 S&W Mag and 45-70 rifles and a club member asked why I was bothering with those two rifle rounds 2 days before deer gun season. I told him I was using them for Ohio deer season. He didn't know straight wall rounds were permitted. Then he asked that surely they would have to be loaded with black powder. I explained the new centerfire straight wall rounds with smokeless powder permitted for 4 seasons now. Now he said he had to buy another rifle. LOL
He was sighting in his ML but shots wouldn't go off because he felt he had 'wet powder'. He left before I had a chance to try to help him.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should sell my 45/70. I really, really like this 450 Bushmaster. Who am I kidding, I'll probably never sell a gun.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

FYI for the reloaders among us. The Hornady Levermatic ammo cases are about .060 shorter than regular cases. And be damn Hornady caliper stamp is the same. This is the same for all Levermatic calipers .357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45LC, 45-70, and 444 Marlin.
It's no real problem setting your reloading dies up. It's only Hornady case as to the best of my knowledge no other company does this.

My bullet choice for my Marlin 1895 Cowboy is a 320 gr. hard cast hollow point with a gas check. I loaded it with 40 grains of IMR-4198 @ 1750 f.p.s. At the range it produced a 2" group at 45 yards with open sights. I was able to hit a 4x4 block of wood at 65 yards, off hand.

I can't wait to kill my first coyote with it and I'm sure it's going to put a deer on the ground with authority.

thumbnail.jpg
Bowhunter57

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
FYI for the reloaders among us. The Hornady Levermatic ammo cases are about .060 shorter than regular cases. And be damn Hornady caliper stamp is the same. This is the same for all Levermatic calipers .357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45LC, 45-70, and 444 Marlin.
It's no real problem setting your reloading dies up. It's only Hornady case as to the best of my knowledge no other company does this.

Your saying the brass is short? Are you still able to get a good roll crimp?

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My 45-70 Lyman or RCBS dies roll crimp OK. Don't load the pistol rounds yet. But may load up some 44 Mag rounds for my Ruger Deer Slayer auto rifle. Haven't loaded any for the 44 mag rifle as I have the 45-70 marlin and new TC Encore rifle in 460 S&W mag.
Going out tonight with the 460 S&W and try and take a doe. I chronographed the velocity at 2658 FPS. Which is 600 FPS faster than the 45-70 and almost 1000 FPS faster than the 44 Mag. I'm into bigger and faster and keep the older proven rounds available for hunting friends.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My bullet choice for my Marlin 1895 Cowboy is a 320 gr. hard cast hollow point with a gas check. I loaded it with 40 grains of IMR-4198 @ 1750 f.p.s. At the range it produced a 2" group at 45 yards with open sights. I was able to hit a 4x4 block of wood at 65 yards, off hand.

I can't wait to kill my first coyote with it and I'm sure it's going to put a deer on the ground with authority.

View attachment 58274
Bowhunter57

That is a excellent load. I've taken 23 deer with the pistol rounds all using lead bullets. Never took a deer with a jacket bullet.
22 deer with the 44 mag using 240 gr lead or 310 gr lead. And couple deer with the 44 mag using the 240 and 310 gr in a rifle rifle doing crop damage permits. I took a big doe with a Texas heart shot using the rifle and 310 gr lead. Bullet enter 1" left of the butt hole and exited the neck for a full body length travel. The doe dropped in it's tracks.
FYI I have always had full exit wounds using lead bullets in almost 30 deer. I never thought much of the idea of getting full use of the bullet energy when the the bullet is stopping in the deer. As my thought is if the bullet stops in the deer body there is no energy in the bullet because the bullet stopped. I want 2 bullet holes for better bleed trail.
One deer with the 45LC using a custom lead 9 sided hollow point my friend cast and loaded for me. I liked the damage on a doe with the hollow point I bought the 44 mag custom 9 sided hollow point for my 44 mag but haven't used it on deer since rifle was permitted and I had to try the rifles.