Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mike Tonkovich

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Many of us were lucky enough to get to speak with Mike T again this weekend at the Strouds hunt. Thanks again, Mrex for bringing him down. I'm curious to what the members here that were in on that conversation thought.

To start things off, I'll give my thoughts on the thing, and I'm sure I will be reminded of parts of the conversation as others chime in, so I will reserve my right to chime in as we go.

I walked in after the Mikes had apparently been there for a time, and they were already in the middle of conversation with Joe and others. By the way, when I arrived, I squeezed Mrex's rear end a little, and was somewhat disappointed that he just turned and smiled.... I fully expected a jump, at least a little one. Dang. Anyway, I didn't want to interrupt as my timing was off in my arrival. Joe and Mike T were discussing the tag reductions he made this year. Both agreed it will have zero impact on the total number of deer killed as most hunters on average shoot 1.3 deer anyway. Joe pointed out that it would have little effect because of this fact and Mike T pointed out the DOW did the reduction to give the impression they were cutting back on harvest goals. Joe re-stated that he knows it will make no difference, Mike T then said "But most hunters aren't that smart." What? Yeah, he said that. There is no harvest reduction goal, just trying to give the impression of one, and he just had to explain that to the farm bureau.... CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG IN THAT SUMMARY, MREX.

Shortly after we wrapped up that discussion, we moved to a picnic table to carry on in comfort. Being selfish as I am, I pointed out that in Fayette Co. we are now killing half the deer we did in 1995, even with expanded opportunity and better equipment. Mike T recalls 1995 well, as it was the year he started in his position, but seemed shocked that our numbers are so far off from what they were nearly 20 yrs ago. When I cry about not having deer, I'm not making this stuff up...The DOW's numbers prove it. In Athens Co., though the harvest number peaked a couple years ago, they are essentially killing the same number of deer as they did in 1995, within 100 at least. I wouldn't be crying if that were the case here. Fact is, we don't have them like we did back then, and I don't recall anyone locally crying too loud because we had too many!

Mike T ended the night stating it isn't an exact science and they only do the best they can with the index(s) they have available. He also did not seem to believe there was a better way to estimate the LIVING deer herd, that he does and should continue to manage based on dead deer, buck harvest in particular. Additionally, he feels there are areas where the deer are so plentiful they lack enough food and nutrition to reach their natural potential, and those areas need to be thinned further. Personally, I don't have an argument for or against that, I don't know, he may well be correct. However, there has NEVER been a deer in the areas I am most familiar that did not have enough to eat, there is food everywhere, and deer are sparse with apparently no help from the DOW to rebound in the near future. Essentially, his plan is if an area runs too low on deer, people will quit hunting, and then naturally deer will rebound. I believe that to be true, as that is how it works in all predator/prey relationships. I once had more faith in our DOW than to think we would rely on natural ebbs and flows.

To make this clear, again, I have no ill feelings toward Mike T. I do understand better I think, that the DOW is not interested in keeping a closer eye on fragile deer herds in my part of the State. They have enough irons in the fire, and I have it from the man with a plan that I should continue to do what I've been doing and that is NOT killing does, and killing coyotes.

As I said earlier, I'm sure my memory will be jogged by the comments of others, so I'm anxiously awaiting your replies.

Mike R., thanks again for bringing him down, and I will be sending Mike T an email to thank him for coming.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Yep! That's a great re-cap, Brock. Lol.
Your right, he pretty much said in closing, that its up to us the hunters TOO manage our OWN deer herds. Not shoot does and young bucks, and kill as many yotes as we can. We implemented that last year on our lease. We didn't shoot any does what so ever last year on our 900 acres. Hopefully, we will see the results this year.
I know that there are a lot of TOOZERS here that are frustrated on their hunting land, with low deer densities. I feel your pain, but it's up to us to do our own management. It sucks, I know, but that's the only way I see it!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am not the in-depth " hunter / management " type of guy, but I lost interest when I felt Mike T could not finish a sentence before starting another. When he kept repeating ... " let me close this by " I don't know how many times, I lost total interest.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I am not the in-depth " hunter / management " type of guy, but I lost interest when I felt Mike T could not finish a sentence before starting another. When he kept repeating ... " let me close this by " I don't know how many times, I lost total interest.
Haha, your right Kevin! He did say that several times. Basically, Nationwide Insurance and FB have more stroke than us!

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Great write up Brock.... although I wasn't there it sounds like a "blanket over the eyes" kind of conversation went on! Kind of like working for the DoD..... I'm not going to answer your question about what I'm (DoD or Mike T) am doing about it but I'm going to give you options that YOU can do, and that's to take care of yourself and your interest and put the blinders on about what's going on around you. Total BS IMO!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Haha, your right Kevin! He did say that several times. Basically, Nationwide Insurance and FB have more stroke than us!

If you were to go with what he said as the truth (I don't believe he lied), he has never been approached by either to influence his decisions or suggestions. I do believe however, more than ever, his focus is not on the deer-poor counties. They are not on his radar as are the deer-rich counties. I don't believe it has ever crossed his mind there are places in the state that have been reduced to the level our little area has. Objectively, it makes sense it would be that way, but I do recall Mrex getting mighty upset at me for mentioning that I did not believe his mind is ever out of the SE portion of the State. Having said that, I still believe it, more than ever now, but at least I understand (I think) why that is. He and his management program are in forward (as in we need to keep them from getting too plentiful), while some areas need to be put in reverse imo. I would be happy with just a neutral idle, as given a little time, deer do their thing and make more deer. As I've said a few hundred times, our area was never OVER populated, not by a long-shot, but we did have a heck of a lot more than we do now. So with relatively few whining about the number we had, I sure wish we could have maintained it. We just don't need the "full steam ahead, kill em all" program in this area at this time, and that is why I asked him to add it into his quotes that in some areas, we do NOT need to "control the herd" via doe harvest. I just don't think he heard me, or thought it was worth listening too.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Here's what i got out of it.

The agency that manages the deer heard in Ohio determined that there were too many of them based on a survey of farmers 13 years ago. Thats right... 13 years ago.

I do believe that Mike T. understands that a survey of just farmers is to biased to be accurate, and he emphasized the importance of returning those hunter surveys so they can get a better idea of what we are seeing. I personally would like to see a data base created on line that we as hunters can log onto and report our sightings.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great write up Brock.... although I wasn't there it sounds like a "blanket over the eyes" kind of conversation went on! Kind of like working for the DoD..... I'm not going to answer your question about what I'm (DoD or Mike T) am doing about it but I'm going to give you options that YOU can do, and that's to take care of yourself and your interest and put the blinders on about what's going on around you. Total BS IMO!

You may have misunderstood my intent here, or what I thought I heard. That is why I posted this, I want to make sure others heard the same thing. Perception is reality, and yeah, that statement was mentioned more than once in the chat. In essence, I got the impression he had never really given any thought to their being areas with seriously declining herds. From his vantage, perhaps he had never considered that as he has whomever asking how they are going to kill more... some of us just don't need anymore killed! I think he looks at the statewide picture, and how the heck could that be clear? I mentioned I thought he was painting with a pretty broad brush with the DOW's herd reduction, and he agreed, but how else would you make a big painting? According to him, there aren't the resources currently to manage in small areas. On that I will agree, but for crying out loud, if you are looking at harvest trends, how about looking back farther than last season...and maybe they do, but the seasons and bag limits don't show they are in MY area. A lot of what I keep saying has the term "my area" or something similar, but dangit, that is what I KNOW.

We have plenty of squirrels, and when Mason shoots them it's not nearly as much work. I should just stick to that!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's what i got out of it.

The agency that manages the deer heard in Ohio determined that there were too many of them based on a survey of farmers 13 years ago. Thats right... 13 years ago.

I do believe that Mike T. understands that a survey of just farmers is to biased to be accurate, and he emphasized the importance of returning those hunter surveys so they can get a better idea of what we are seeing. I personally would like to see a data base created on line that we as hunters can log onto and report our sightings.

He mentioned something about forming a co-operative of some kind. I'd like to see that. I think it could be a valuable source for information if hunters were honest. All it would take would be a few people with an agenda to foul up the data, and that wouldn't benefit anyone, just show that it's a poor idea to work from an opinion survey.

The problem with the hunter effort survey is that it is only in it's third year. That being the case, there is relatively little information to be drawn from it anytime in the near future. Then again, Rome wasn't built in a day, and its a proactive move for the future I suppose.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
He and his management program are in forward (as in we need to keep them from getting too plentiful), while some areas need to be put in reverse imo.

And how would you put it in reverse? Set seasons on a county by county basis instead of statewide? Maybe make antlerless tags invalid in certain counties. Maybe certain deer rich counties should be "earn a buck" you need to kill a doe before you can take a buck.

The bottom line is that the herd cant be viewed as a "big picture" Each county or zone needs to be managed independently from each other. We all know bag limits have no impact. but having limited opportunity in areas that are at or below the dsired level would definately make a difference. there also need to be some changes made to nonresident fees, and kill permits.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'll just say what I'd like to see here; no doe harvest for a year, none. 7 day shotgun season only, no doe-only muzzy season (though I am glad the bonus week is gone). Only a year or two at most like this, and I think we would be back in the ball game and able to harvest a doe (archery) and buck for the duration as that would likely be sustainable. I don't think counties in what used to be Zone A should ever have an aggressive doe harvest plan...they are just too easy to over harvest in 5 acre wood lots with guns and truck loads of drivers. When you go out to kill 'em all, in this habitat, given the opportunity and equipment, you nearly can. Mrex likes to point out the 101st airborne could not wipe 'em out on his ridge. I'll say a group of boyscouts could do it with shotguns and a good pack leader here in my woodlots.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Looking forward to more dialogue from the people at camp...

Brock, you're summary sounds pretty close to a conversation I had with another TOOZer this morning about what was said around the camp fire. As unfortunate as it is to say, it didn't surprise me to hear about the DOW's perspective on managing the herd.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
You may have misunderstood my intent here, or what I thought I heard. That is why I posted this, I want to make sure others heard the same thing. Perception is reality, and yeah, that statement was mentioned more than once in the chat. In essence, I got the impression he had never really given any thought to their being areas with seriously declining herds. From his vantage, perhaps he had never considered that as he has whomever asking how they are going to kill more... some of us just don't need anymore killed! I think he looks at the statewide picture, and how the heck could that be clear? I mentioned I thought he was painting with a pretty broad brush with the DOW's herd reduction, and he agreed, but how else would you make a big painting? According to him, there aren't the resources currently to manage in small areas. On that I will agree, but for crying out loud, if you are looking at harvest trends, how about looking back farther than last season...and maybe they do, but the seasons and bag limits don't show they are in MY area. A lot of what I keep saying has the term "my area" or something similar, but dangit, that is what I KNOW.

We have plenty of squirrels, and when Mason shoots them it's not nearly as much work. I should just stick to that!

No disrespect but I think I understood you loud and clear. Like I stated above with the blanket theory in affect it sounds like it was quite the dog and pony show going on at Strouds. I mean NO disrespect to Mike T, as I've never met the guy to my knowledge but for crying out loud how could he sit there and blow smoke about not knowing about declining herds. Smoke, Smoke, Smoke..... I bet he gets an email EVERYDAY about how crappy our hunting has gotten and I can imagine he gets approached daily in his position with people and their concerns on this topic. I've battled this one at district meetings before about the herd reduction, Increasing NR tags, opening up city limit hunting, and so on and it falls upon deaf ears. They don't care what WE have to say, its a standard cover up or smoke screen thrown up. I've yet to see someone with gumption step into this rule and actually DO something about it. Its all politics and revenue! I argued the NR tag needed increased like every state surrounding us and their response over and over and over was based on it hurting revenue from NR and that they may not come to hunt and lease land! BS!!!!! If you triple the price and a third of the people return you STILL BREAK EVEN and more deer see less pressure and can actually survive. I'm not going to sit here and point the finger solely at him bc I've dealt with more DOW officers than I care to anymore with this topic. It all boils down to Insurance, farmers, and NR's.... no one cares about the residents of this state anymore. Its back to the police your own theory!

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No disrespect but I think I understood you loud and clear. Like I stated above with the blanket theory in affect it sounds like it was quite the dog and pony show going on at Strouds. I mean NO disrespect to Mike T, as I've never met the guy to my knowledge but for crying out loud how could he sit there and blow smoke about not knowing about declining herds. Smoke, Smoke, Smoke..... I bet he gets an email EVERYDAY about how crappy our hunting has gotten and I can imagine he gets approached daily in his position with people and their concerns on this topic. I've battled this one at district meetings before about the herd reduction, Increasing NR tags, opening up city limit hunting, and so on and it falls upon deaf ears. They don't care what WE have to say, its a standard cover up or smoke screen thrown up. I've yet to see someone with gumption step into this rule and actually DO something about it. Its all politics and revenue! I argued the NR tag needed increased like every state surrounding us and their response over and over and over was based on it hurting revenue from NR and that they may not come to hunt and lease land! BS!!!!! If you triple the price and a third of the people return you STILL BREAK EVEN and more deer see less pressure and can actually survive. I'm not going to sit here and point the finger solely at him bc I've dealt with more DOW officers than I care to anymore with this topic. It all boils down to Insurance, farmers, and NR's.... no one cares about the residents of this state anymore. Its back to the police your own theory!

You're absolutely right. It's smoke smoke smoke. The man is not stupid. He knows exactly what he's doing and it's not the first or thousandth time he's been told by a hunter the deer are too low in in their area. It's the same thing they do at the open houses. No collective dialog they rely on you not knowing what the other guy is saying so none of you can reach a consensus and realize your being told junk. Apart they can tell you they've never been told that before and they're not hearing complaints. When in fact the 30 guys before you told them the same thing.

I told mike at strouds. "You want to lower the deer population. Ok. My problem is I don't believe you have a clue just how successful you've been in ever increasing areas"

As for the rest of the conversation. I'll reserve my synopsis until others chime in to share their view of what he said. I don't want to skew it as y'all pretty much know what I think.

CritterGitterToo

Central Ohio
I just don't get it. Farmers want deer killed, but they won't allow access. The program the ODNR initiated that NONE of them participated in proved that. Therefore, they should get less influence on regulations or population control. Just my opinion.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
- We don't matter (no voice)
- We are the problem (not filling out the surveys)
- Nothing is going to change until many drop out of pursuing deer
- They are not interested in an actual deer count
- We are screwed for at least the next ten years
- Brock was spot on with the Predator/Prey analysis. Cheaper and easier.