Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

FOR SALE Marlin 1895 45-70 (Pre Remlin)

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Never had a problem with leading with vance or we wouldn't have bought so many. Must have been a price thing or something. I think i got some of yours if you ever went to the mall in bowling green when they had the show there for a few years.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Never had a problem with leading with vance or we wouldn't have bought so many. Must have been a price thing or something. I think i got some of yours if you ever went to the mall in bowling green when they had the show there for a few years.

I did all the shows in Bowling Green until May 2002. I lost my eyesight in June of 2002 due to my MS and never went back. My sight returned in May 2005 just in time to go PD shooting in SD with my son. Doing fine ever since.

Matter of fact that last Bowling Green show in May of 2005 I bought a Colt 1911 Model MK111 target pistol in 38 Midrange (38 special). That's were my MK111 forum name come from. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited:

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
WOW glad you got your site back!!! My Talon in my name is from my 1911 also. Never been to SD but bought all the brass and bullets to load and go but the trip feel through. Has been great talking with ya. Brought back a lot of good times from the good days!!!!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
WOW glad you got your site back!!! My Talon in my name is from my 1911 also. Never been to SD but bought all the brass and bullets to load and go but the trip feel through. Has been great talking with ya. Brought back a lot of good times from the good days!!!!

Drop everything and go out West at least once PD shooting. You notice I don't call it PD hunting. As all you do is hunt for them then just shoot the hell out of them.
We always plan on 1000 rounds per day. Some years you can do more than that per day and some years you have to work your butt off getting 300-400 shots. You just can't do that around here on pest.
We're planning a trip to SD this year but just found out were we always go the plague hit and just wiped them out.
The same thing happened to us in 1998. We shot on one field in WY for 5 days straight and shot 1000 plus rounds per day. We went back the next year and the plague went through and there wasn't a dog to be seen.

If you do go just check with a reliable source to be sure there's still PD's to shoot in that area.

Just thinking about it gives me the itch to go. The Dillon 1050 press is setup and supplies are in stock. A days notice and I can load about 1000 per hour on the Dillon 1050.
I use custom 14 lb. AR's with coated bullets. One AR is in .223 and the other is in 223AI (Ackley Improved). The 223AI gives me mid-range velocity of a 22-250. It just smokes them.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
I was a member of Varmint Hunters for a long time back then also and would dream about going to the Rosebud and wear a couple barrels out in a weeks time but then i met the woman that became my wife and now with a thirteen year old daughter i'm locked down for a while lol. Always wanted to see my name on the back pages of the mag in the 1000 yard club.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was a member of Varmint Hunters for a long time back then also and would dream about going to the Rosebud and wear a couple barrels out in a weeks time but then i met the woman that became my wife and now with a thirteen year old daughter i'm locked down for a while lol. Always wanted to see my name on the back pages of the mag in the 1000 yard club.

I did have the same dream but no more. My grandson at 14 made a 980 yd. shot with a AR10 in 260 Rem. He missed the 1st shot by couple inches and my son spotting gave him a Kentucky windage correction and he connected on the 2nd. shot. They walked out and used a laser rangefinder for the measurement.
Same grandson who is a natural shooter now. Seen my son make several of those long shots. I stick to the shorter 100-500 yd. shots with my 223 & 223AI.
I have a large collection of the Varmint Hunter magazines. Only missing the first 3. Going to set down and read them someday. Right after my 50 African hunting books.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah i still have all of mine!!!! I still have the black hat with the groundhog patch on it with the terry cloth sweat band. Yeah i'm fine with sitting over a bean field now with my 22-250 waiting on ground hogs. Read a bunch of Capsticks books about Africa. Talk about a hard book to put down. Peter and his tracker Silent going after a wonded leopard in the high grass with his leather coat and a model 12 winchester. Think i'll start that series again myself!!!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah i still have all of mine!!!! I still have the black hat with the groundhog patch on it with the terry cloth sweat band. Yeah i'm fine with sitting over a bean field now with my 22-250 waiting on ground hogs. Read a bunch of Capsticks books about Africa. Talk about a hard book to put down. Peter and his tracker Silent going after a wonded leopard in the high grass with his leather coat and a model 12 winchester. Think i'll start that series again myself!!!

I met Capstick at the Shot Show before he died. He wasn't that pleasant of a person to talk to. I asked him to sign his picture for a friend and seemed rather bothered as I wasn't buying anything from him. I was told things I won't repeat on the forum.
I sold 100's of his books series but never after that. I got the books from Wolf's Publishing that reprinted his whole line.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah i heard he was a arrogant prick but the stories are awesome. I like the one where there is a black mamba in the outhouse when he goes out to it in the morning lol!!!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah i heard he was a arrogant prick but the stories are awesome. I like the one where there is a black mamba in the outhouse when he goes out to it in the morning lol!!!

Yep and I was told facts about his PH days by guys who really knew him. But won't repeat the stories as I wasn't there.
I believe I have book Wolf printed for him in my collection.