Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

DEAL M & P Shield $245

Milo

Tatonka guide.
By the sounds of it, same is going to be with bows. Total outdoor industry has stalled completely. Over-saturation point has been reached.

It needs to happen with bows badly. Their prices are just retarded compared to firearms. Hell you can get 3 ar's for the price of a top of the line Hoyt. I'd rather have the AR's as they won't lose value

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In general, yes.

Here's a timely piece from this morning related to the subject. It's based on retailers but also consumers. It's not just the outdoor industry that is stalling...

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/features/231630

His example, while valid, is only part of the equation. His statement "For less than three bucks, the "smart" shopper essentially helping put their go-to source for help and expert advice out of business."

I would disagree with that statement as the internet is now predominantly the consumers go to source for information. Forums and other forms of internet content generation are not ran by sales people, they have real field tested opinions, and are probably more knowledgeable than a sales guy as they actually used the product. Shoppers go to the store to browse around. Odds are while browsing the sales person asked if he needed help, offered advice, and initiated the conversation. A sales tactic to initiate sales.

I think his example of "less than three bucks" is way off also.

For example
Abu Garcia® Revo® STX Casting Reel
Cabelas $199.99 SALE!! $159.99
Amazon $130.44 and that's shipped to my door in 2 days.
That's a 19% savings.

HHA DS-5019 Ultra Bow Sight
Cabelas 219.99
Amazon 185.00 Shipped to my door.
That's 16% savings.

If these retailers have any hope of not going under they HAVE to move their prices in line with Amazon. Instead they're asking manufacturers to rebrand products as in "cabelas brand, red head brand, field and stream etc. Shoppers are smarter than that.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
It needs to happen with bows badly. Their prices are just retarded compared to firearms. Hell you can get 3 ar's for the price of a top of the line Hoyt. I'd rather have the AR's as they won't lose value

Agreed and by the sounds of it, it will happen soon. A few of the large manufacturers filled full-year order qty's in their first 1-2 shipments leaving retailers like wth, this is usually spread out.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
To Joes point, even the procurement buying power of big box can't offset what the internet guys are able to do for margins. With a streamlined distribution strategy, they have less capital in both fixed and variable costs of the brick and mortar stores. Eliminating lease/rent, utilities, wages, inventory, etc., e-commerce is crushing it. Hell, they can even deal with the returns processing and have better revenue and margins.

Amazon is also now firmly planted in vessels giving them improved buying power and cargo space between Asian and US ports. They have invested in an air fleet which will assist them in controlling their distribution and costs domestically.

With the throughput of the mega distribution centers, they have tremendous automation and picking which is improving speed, safety, accuracy and ultimately, customer service.

They can offer the same product at a lower cost to the consumer yet make a higher margin. Our convenience starved society has paved the way and those adopting to Omni channel or pure e-commerce are capitalizing on it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
To Joes point, even the procurement buying power of big box can't offset what the internet guys are able to do for margins. With a streamlined distribution strategy, they have less capital in both fixed and variable costs of the brick and mortar stores. Eliminating lease/rent, utilities, wages, inventory, etc., e-commerce is crushing it. Hell, they can even deal with the returns processing and have better revenue and margins.

Amazon is also now firmly planted in vessels giving them improved buying power and cargo space between Asian and US ports. They have invested in an air fleet which will assist them in controlling their distribution and costs domestically.

With the throughput of the mega distribution centers, they have tremendous automation and picking which is improving speed, safety, accuracy and ultimately, customer service.

They can offer the same product at a lower cost to the consumer yet make a higher margin. Our convenience starved society has paved the way and those adopting to Omni channel or pure e-commerce are capitalizing on it.
Returns is another thing. With Amazon all someone has to do is make three clicks on their phone and set it back on their doorstep. They don't even have to print a return label. Amazon takes care of scheduling the pickup of the return and affixing the label. You don't even have to re-tape the box closed.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Returns is another thing. With Amazon all someone has to do is make three clicks on their phone and set it back on their doorstep. They don't even have to print a return label. Amazon takes care of scheduling the pickup of the return and affixing the label. You don't even have to re-tape the box closed.

Exactly, and the cost of processing returns is minimal compared to having a retail store.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The only thing I see impacting online retailers like Amazon in the future is the next step. Cutting out the US middle man importer and buying direct from China. Companies like Wish have done a great job of improving that market as their payments are processed centrally through Wish and returns are handled very quickly. Money is refunded in 3-5 business days, long beofrebthenreturn product even reaches the US return center. The only kink remaining is the 30+ days it takes for shipping from China. As soon as someone gets a better hold on distribution and cuts that down to a reasonable time it will greatly impact online middle man retailers like Amazon.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
By the sounds of it, same is going to be with bows. Total outdoor industry has stalled completely. Over-saturation point has been reached.

IMO it has already started with crossbows. I am seeing some steep markdowns on new when season ended.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
When I first started, the dealer price in a bow was ridiculous. I could have bought two AR's for the same price.
I just laughed at the guy. I do t know how some smal shops even do it. That's why I only do service work. Besides some of my best customers come from cabelas...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Great point and I totally agree Eric!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Bellas for 299. And they wonder why they're tanking.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Oh but Jay it's their best price ever! Nevermind someone else has it for 50 bucks cheaper.

lol... Just saw where they advertised price match in one of their email flyers....
If I can get the same price somewhere else I'm usually going there.... Especially since the closest GM is 45 minutes away....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How does ordering from Palmettos work? Since it is in state, do they ship directly to me? Gotta go through a licensed 'dealer'?
You pay PSA... They ship to a FFL of your choosing... You then fill out paperwork and pick up at FFL, and pay their fee, which is usually 20-30 bucks.

Gordo

Athens County
Copy that. Same as if I ordered something online from another state. Just wasn't sure if that was still necessary since in/state.

Thanks buddy.

Going to take a spin around the local gun store today and see what their tag is on the shields. I've been itching for a single stack carry gun