Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for advice

hoyt.bowhunter.1

I'm looking for advice from people that live and bowhunt ohio. I'm really looking to do my first out of state hunt I live in pa and with going to have my first child next summer and buying a home I can't afford a outfitter hunt nor a lease it's just not in the budget. But I looking for advise on what public land to stay away from and what I should consider scouting out. I've been looking and reading online about some areas ik Woodbury gets pretty heavy pressure and so dose trivalley. I'm not asking for where guys hunt I'm asking for advise on the other public land in your state if you could help please.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Welcome to TOO.

Unfortunately, finding public land that's NOT heavily pressured is next to impossible. So you can forget about that right off the bat. As far as scouting goes, what to look for depends on when you're going to be here. Early season, find a green food source or acorns. Rut, find a good funnel or pinch point, or secondary ridge or saddle. Late season, forget about it... Unless you're going to spend more than a week here, you won't have enough time to thoroughly scout and locate where the deer have been pushed to. Get familiar with some areas by looking at topographic maps and GoogleEarth. It may be tough hunting or you may get lucky. Just enjoy the hunt for what it is... A trip... And don't get discouraged if you have trouble finding deer. Just like any other property, it can take years to really figure these animals out, especially on public land.

Congrats on the kid.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Welcome to TOO.

Unfortunately, finding public land that's NOT heavily pressured is next to impossible. So you can forget about that right off the bat. As far as scouting goes, what to look for depends on when you're going to be here. Early season, find a green food source or acorns. Rut, find a good funnel or pinch point, or secondary ridge or saddle. Late season, forget about it... Unless you're going to spend more than a week here, you won't have enough time to thoroughly scout and locate where the deer have been pushed to. Get familiar with some areas by looking at topographic maps and GoogleEarth. It may be tough hunting or you may get lucky. Just enjoy the hunt for what it is... A trip... And don't get discouraged if you have trouble finding deer. Just like any other property, it can take years to really figure these animals out, especially on public land.

Congrats on the kid.

This.

Lots of good resources available through the DNR on public lands open for hunting. Lots of differing terrain in Ohio too, so you should give some thought to what kind of habitat/terrain you'd like to hunt. Lots of hills down south, little different feel in other areas.

Good luck on your planning and congrats on the child.