Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Locked up bucks

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Here's a cool but crappy find from this past January.
I found these 2 while out poking around looking for sheds. The big one had only been dead a day or so as it was not frozen when I took the chainsaw to him. The other was froze completely solid and his hair was slipping pretty bad. The big guy probably drug him around a couple days before he finally died. The yotes had been eating at the rear ends of both, so I almost wonder if they are what finally killed him.

Tonight I finally got the bleaching agent cleaned off the skulls and am now wondering what to do with them. Any ideas????

IMG_2684.JPGIMG_2687.JPGIMG_2688.JPGIMG_2689.JPGIMG_3690.JPG

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Man what a cool but very shitty find! I'd make a pedestal for them, leave them locked together and mount them on that with some cool habitat.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
finelyshedded - yea we taped him. Pretty much right at 170.
Didn't tape the other one, but would guess him at 125 to 130.
We had high-hopes for both of them this fall. We believe the big one was only a 4 yr old due to pics from prior years. The smaller one looked like a 2 yr old.
Tried to get them apart, but it aint happening!
Here is a pic of him alive. We had trail cam pics of both bucks about a week prior to finding them.

Jr.JPG

angelzd28

Cool that you found them but sucks they died that way. From the pics it looks like it has very similar genetics to the buck in your profile pic, especially with the split G2's.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
finelyshedded - yea we taped him. Pretty much right at 170.
Didn't tape the other one, but would guess him at 125 to 130.
We had high-hopes for both of them this fall. We believe the big one was only a 4 yr old due to pics from prior years. The smaller one looked like a 2 yr old.
Tried to get them apart, but it aint happening!
Here is a pic of him alive. We had trail cam pics of both bucks about a week prior to finding them.

View attachment 45163

Dang nice buck but too bad they both died the way they did! By looking at this pic and the other ones that flier point coming of the weaker left sides g2 seems to be a huge factor that kept them locked together,IMO. Seems those fliers no matter the length lead to these locked up death battles.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Sad but a cool find. Might want to zip tie the antlers as is ( the way you found them ) so while you work on them you do not move or break them apart. Just saying.............