Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Strouds..

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
As always, had a great weekend with the TOO fellers. It was great to meet Woody and LW, and also to see everyone else. Dale, and BM, thanks for sending the pork butts and beer up, you guys rock! Dale, the pork butts were amazing! Also, thanks to all of you who brought stuff for the event!

As promised, I came home about ten pounds heavier, but these weekends are well worth it. If you haven't made it to a TOO event, you really are missing out on some good food, great folks, and an awesome time!

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

Oh, I remember...

You know what?!

ROTFLMAO

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Wager, the over/under of my mental side bet is 7.......rotflmao

.......and I was going with the under but forgot to post it! He made it to 4....rotflmao

It was based on when Flutie was going to post! I am not shocked to see the contents of his post here above. I will be writing some lyrics between now and our next TOO event for which Flutie said he will sing it if I write it! It will be to the song Wagonwheel for which we all know most of and it will be highly entertaining seeing him bellar out this masterpiece! Y'all are going to be laughing your ass off sooooo, Cotty,Aaron,Doug and Austin....y'all be prepared and have those guitars tuned so we can have our "Fluteman" do his rendition! I can't wait....rotflmao

The lyrics will be about our TOO gang during our events and things taken from this site....:smiley_coolpeace:

Oh.....YOU KNOW WHAT!hahaha

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
As always, had a great weekend with the TOO fellers. It was great to meet Woody and LW, and also to see everyone else. Dale, and BM, thanks for sending the pork butts and beer up, you guys rock! Dale, the pork butts were amazing! Also, thanks to all of you who brought stuff for the event!

As promised, I came home about ten pounds heavier, but these weekends are well worth it. If you haven't made it to a TOO event, you really are missing out on some good food, great folks, and an awesome time!

I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting.

Oh, I remember...

You know what?!

ROTFLMAO

DICK, lmao

badger

*Supporting Member*
Finally got a chance to sit down.

Its almost as much work when you get home as it is when you are heading out.

What an awesome weekend!

The hunting was tough with the lack of mast and the higher temps, but the good times more than made up for it. Was great to see some familiar faces again as well as meet some new ones. and of course...

...NO FREAKIN RAIN!!!!:smiley_clap:

Big thanks to mrex! and a big congrats to the guys who harvested a deer.

Oh, by the way...

...The only picture of me was the one where I was passed out! Classic. Hey, This flatlander was a little pooped after running those hills all day!

Dave, how's me and you gonna share a tree when you are sleeping all the time? (just ribbing ya buddy):smiley_coolpeace:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Congratulations, Travis and Joe! Good to see someone stick with it to the bitter end and get it done!

It was another nice get together, enjoyed spending a little time with all of you this weekend!

Mrex, thanks for your efforts. Mason would be glad to mow your yard all summer for the opportunity to hunt in it again. :) It was fun, and we appreciate it!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Back to the grind!

Made it home yesterday and the girls were gone, so I unloaded, took a much needed shower and snagged a 2.5 hour nap. Had a nice dinner and was back in bed by 9! Still dragging a little ass today despite that. Can we do it again next weekend?!?

I'd like to thank everyone who attended this years Strouds gathering. What went down this weekend is why we created this site and that's to foster, and enjoy the brotherhood that is the great outdoors. It was a pleasure to meet some new faces with Hedge, Woody, and LoneWolf in camp and as always it was great to see everyone from gatherings past! You guys are what make this place and our gatherings so much fun. Look forward to it again next year!

Mike, I didn't get much of a chance to talk with you this year but as always, thank you for your help. Your hospitality is top notch and has become a valuable part of this gathering.

I have some pictures of my own to post when I get a chance...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Travis saw a couple of bucks, both young but nice. I don't know of any others. Joe saw those two as well of course.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just curious, did anyone see any nice bucks while on stand this year?

Saw a nice probably 100 inch 8pt if it had both sides. The right side was good but I couldn't see the left very well. The doe I shot was being followed by a buck. We were still walking up a point and for safety reasons we didn't have the 209's in as they came by on a bench about 20 yards above us. Travis dropped his 209 in the leaves about that time the buck saw us. He continued on around the point, the doe turned to sneak back the way she came. I drilled her high shoulder in the spine and she dropped like a sack of potatoes. That buck was a nice 8-10pt maybe 120. All I saw was a fleeting glimps from the back, so he could have been 100 for all I know.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I hadn't shown Travis mercy in our pursuit. I hiked him up the points of hills on Strouds and sections of WNF all day Saturday. All of that and I end up shooting the only doe we saw all day. I felt like a dick but Travis was ecstatic for me the same if he shot it himself, slapping me on the back, telling me it was a great shot, and doing fist bumps. The kid was just happy that we got one. Saturday night I asked Rex where I could take Travis that would give him a good chance at a doe. He told me some areas around where Brocks friend and his son was hunting. The plan was to meet up at 6:20 and we'd walk in together before Travis and I broke right and followed out a ridge. 6:20 found us knocking on Brocks tent. Brock said to go ahead and hunt the Blind Turtle blind where he and mason had scored on 3 the day before. Travis and I sat until 10:30 with only a buck seen. Rex said he had another place but needed to feel it out first and he'd let me know. I got a text from Mike around nootn saying "I've got you covered". We met at Mikes house at 3 and hopped in his truck. Round and round we went over the hills of Athens county until we arrived along a ridge top cornfield. We walked off the ridge down to a bottom that was a lush green clover plot. He pointed out the buddy stand mid way down the plot but gave us the choice of just sitting on the hill overlooking some corn he put out hours earlier. We elected for the stand. We we're situated moments later and I looked to my right only to realize a doe was in the bottom watching us the entire time. She stayed in the bottom scratching her head with her foot, browsing around and just waiting for us to leave. 15 minutes later a doe stepped out in the clover about 70 yards to our right. She fed our direction and Travis got the gun on her. At the shot she mule kicked and headed towards the creek bottom disappearing behind the edge of trees and brush. Total time in the stand was less than 20 minutes. We got down to find the doe and I had travis pick up the blood trail from the shot location. I texted mike "Mission Accomplished" and he started back with the truck.

Click for video

The shot was at 4:20. We got the deer out of the woods. Drove around with Mike for a while getting a tour of Athens county. Loaded her up in my truck for the two hour drive home. Rolled in to Jessicas dads at 8:20 and got her on the hoist, 28 min later we we're done and heading home to drop Travis off. By 9:30 I was showered and siting on my own couch.. A Huge thanks to Mike Rex for making this happen.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I knew when we left you that you wouldn't be hunting long. It seems when Mike comes off with "I've got you covered", you are going to see deer. It's unreal the number of deer you see along the ridge roads while driving around, hard to believe really. Last year, Mason and I went down before season to help Mike move the stand Mason would later hunt from. While there, we drove around to look at deer. We saw 79. That was more deer than Mason had seen in his entire life, and Mike said if it weren't for the booming acorn crop in the area we would have seen a lot more! I can certainly see where numbers of deer like that would be at times a nuisance. I am glad we do NOT have that many deer here, but it sure would be nice to have a few more (like we did in 95) :)

Lundy

Congrats to Travis and you both. Nice shot Travis!

Did Mike drive you past where I hunt? If he did in the evening you should have seen some deer in the lower fields.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Pretty cool video Joe. Congrats to Travis and you in getting a doe. Great job once again Mike helping perpetuate the hunting spirit of our youth! You da man!:smiley_clap:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Out of curiosity, who would be interested in having some commemorative t-shirts made up for next years hunt. You know a shirt that will say something like,"3rd ANNUAL TOO STROUDS MASSACRE" I would be willing to buy one if they where made up.