Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

License fee increase

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ok, for the folks thinking that the Consolidation of both entities is a bad thing, what is the basis for your concerns?

Consolidation will usually create savings in both personnel and benefits.....
The biggest thing is potential reallocation of SPORTSMANS dollars. The thought of hunting license/permit and PR monies being put towards state park facilities like campground shitters makes me sick. Another thing would be the increased disconnect from management to the field. Game management decisions being made by folks who've never hunted or fished a day in their life would obviously not be a step in the right direction.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The biggest thing is potential reallocation of SPORTSMANS dollars. The thought of hunting license/permit and PR monies being put towards state park facilities like campground shitters makes me sick. Another thing would be the increased disconnect from management to the field. Game management decisions being made by folks who've never hunted or fished a day in their life would obviously not be a step in the right direction.

How are other states managed, Jim? Are most other states aligned with Ohio's practices?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How are other states managed, Jim? Are most other states aligned with Ohio's practices?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I've hunted in several other states, but have never really researched their organizations.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Wouldnt the opposite be true also, an influx of campground fees, boat ramp fees, use permits, etc being used to benefit sportsmen just as easy as sportsman dollars benefiting them? Its all public land after all and public hunting, camping, and fishing all happen in the same parks. It doesnt impact private land at all really as our DNR doesn't have a program to court landowners to allow hunting. Aditionally I would think if sportsmans dollars were so vital to the DOW they wouldn't't have set about to drastically reduce those funds over the past 8 years.

For the wildlife decisions. Isnt that why we have the wildlife counsel and now the independent deer hunters stakeholder organisation to preserve our interest?

Diablo54

Outside
I've lived and hunted through the thick and thin, or to say no deer and plenty deer. Seen my 1st deer in NW Ohio in 1961 and the sighting was wrote up in the newspaper.
Took my 1st Ohio deer in 1972 and less than 6,000 deer taken in Ohio the entire year.
Fast forward to the early year 2000's and 200,000 plus deer are taken each year.
Then today and only 180,000 or so are taken and cry goes up the sky is falling down.
I really don't think so!

Do I want to go back to the days of no deer or less than today's number of course not.

Over all what I'm saying deer hunting today is damn good in Ohio. Yes there or areas of few deer and areas of many deer. But everyone can't expect to walk out their back door and bump into a nice big buck. If you want that to happen then move to a area that has those big buck.

Been there and lived through it in my life time. The main problem is the younger you are haven't seen the truly lean years in deer hunting or sightings.

Like I said overall Ohio has good deer hunting for the masses.

I seen no harm in a minor $3 increase in hunting tags. If that little $3 stops someone from hunting they were ready to stop anyway. Poor excuse in my mind.
But NR tag increases should be in line with what the state the hunter lives in for NR tag amounts. If the hunter's state charges say $2-400 for a NR deer tag then that same amount should be charged to NR hunter hunting in Ohio. Fair is fair.

This is like losing 5 of your teeth and saying it's no big deal because you didn't even have teeth when you where a baby. I can still chew the steak. It's just a shitty process. But that's okay. When I was little I didn't even have teeth.

wv67

Don't know what the Ohio license is but will be paying what ever it cost this fall we pay 33.50. For a resident lic. In WVA. That's for Deer and turkey and fishing 20 bucks for extra gun tag and bow tag and 10.00 for a bear tag non res just to deer and turkey hunt is around 175. And same if you just want to bear hunt 350 I think for all big and small game for the year ... t