Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Legends Ranch Deer...The Story

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
So, here goes the story:

10 days ago I got a call from my uncle. He asked if I wanted to join him on a hunt for monster whitetail at Legends Ranch in Michigan. I had been there with him and my brothers one other time about 5 years ago and the only question in my mind was "could I go?" not "do I want to go?"

I was responsible for the flight and he took care of everything else. It was a gift that I couldn't turn down. However, it turned out that some scheduling stuff got messed up and they only had one spot left. He said "You should go. I'd like to do this for you with all you guys have gone through this year." I checked with the wife, ran it by deerburger (since we work together) and got the green light all around.

I know how some of you guys around here feel about high fenced hunts (which is why I didn't chat much about it leading up to it), but having been on a couple now, I can tell you...I think it's a pretty cool way to hunt. It may not be the most sporting way, but it's amazing to see these animals that you would never ever see outside the fence. I saw a total of 50 deer over 200" in one week... I am still trying to process that number. They roam over thousands of acres, so it still takes some time in the stand to have some cruise by...but, inevitably they will.

Fast forward to landing in Michigan. I hopped of the plane and headed to the ranch in the truck with the Legends Ranch dudes. They talked about some really big deer being seen this year and I was pretty pumped. Upon arrival I grabbed my camo, showered, shot in my rifle (chambered in .257 wby magnum) and headed out for hunt number 1.

As we pulled into the field where our blind was about 600 yards away, we parked under a huge oak. I gathered my stuff and started to head in the direction of the blind. My guide grabbed my shirt and said "whoa, hang on right here"...I grabbed my binocs and watched 4 deer (from 190" to 220") pass in front of us about 200 yards away. I couldn't believe the size of those. He assured me that I was welcome to shoot, but he thought we could do better. Well, he wasn't kidding. Before I could put my binocs down, he said "Holy...., Josh we found what we want". Now, I had been in the field all of 10 minutes at this point and hadn't even made it to the blind. I looked in my binocs to where he was pointing and saw the tops of a bruiser's antlers over the tall grass. He looked nice, but I had no idea what my guide had seen at that point. He began to walk up a mound in front of us and his antlers just keep going higher and I still couldn't see his head! I knew he was huge, but I really didn't have time to figure out how huge. I just knew that the 200" deer I had just seen looked small compared to the rack on this beast.

My guide threw his backpack on the tailgate of the truck as I loaded my gun (yes, it was still unloaded at this point). I had a 12" opening in the high grass as he stood broadside 220 yards away. His vitals were exposed. I aimed 2" behind the crease and cracked one off using the tailgate and backpack as a rest. The kick from the rifle had me lose any sign of impact. I only knew that my guide said "you hit him good". The buck disappeared behind the hill. We sat for a half hour to make sure he was toast and headed over to the place where we were sure he went down. Well, we got there and I peeked over the hill where my guide assured me he was laying...and nothing. I mean, no blood, no hair, no sign of distress (other than what was running through my body). We stood shoulder to shoulder walking through 6 ft high grass for 45 minutes in a 50 sq yd area. He just kept saying "he HAS to be here!" I kept asking..."Are you sure I hit him good?" He was positive so we kept looking as I kept getting closer to barfing, realizing we may not find him.

My guide, Hank tripped over him. In a split second I went from nausea to delight. There was no ground shrinkage on this guy. He was huge. I Stan Pott's'd for about 20 minutes as I tried to catch my breath and count points. I had never in my life and may never again seen such an incredible mess of nasty bone on the head of a buck deer. The bullet had passed completely through exactly where I aimed. All of the blood had filled his body cavity.

So, exactly one hour and 15 minutes into my hunt...I took what would be the biggest deer of the week and the second biggest ever shot at Legends Ranch.

He scored 353 7/8 and had 47 scoreable points. It was a hunt I'll never forget and an incredible gift from a generous family member. I was blessed this week.

Here he is again.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Josh, words can't explain how happy I am for you and your buck of a lifetime..... Great story and great buck..... Can't wait too see the mount....

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Damn it, that is just awesome! Good read, I felt like I was right there with ya. Can't wait to see the mount. ( You are getting it mounted right? rotflmao )

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Congrats Josh! Flat out rediculous deer. I don't know where the hell I would even put something like that in my house... :smiley_bril:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is awesome Josh! I would drive around with my new hood ornament (which I had to mount to the bumper in order to see to drive haha).

I am glad you enjoyed yourself and want to congratulate you on 2nd biggest ever taken on the ranch. No matter where you hunt them, they just don't grow that big everyday. That is a stud of a deer!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Holey moley man.... What an awesome animal on an awesome hunt!. Truly a buck of a lifetime.. I can only imagine seeing so many bruisers in one spot.

PS: Don't worry about the high fence negativism.. 99% of all the guys i know have zero issues with high fence operations as long as people call it what it is.. People only get spun up when the hunter or outfitter tries to place it on the same level as naturally grown deer. You know the type... So don't worry about that man.. :)

Now how are you gonna go back to Fl and sit in a stand.. lol... A 90 inch 6 pt is gonna look like a button buck now. lol

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Holey moley man.... What an awesome animal on an awesome hunt!. Truly a buck of a lifetime.. I can only imagine seeing so many bruisers in one spot.

PS: Don't worry about the high fence negativism.. 99% of all the guys i know have zero issues with high fence operations as long as people call it what it is.. People only get spun up when the hunter or outfitter tries to place it on the same level as naturally grown deer. You know the type... So don't worry about that man.. :)

Now how are you gonna go back to Fl and sit in a stand.. lol... A 90 inch 6 pt is gonna look like a button buck now. lol

Yep my sentiments exactly!

We talked about your Uncle some after fishing....you sure he doesn't NEED another nephew? lol :smiley_ahh:

Huckleberry Finn

Holy crap.

Sounds like a great relaxing trip and the deer of a lifetime. Sweet deal. That's a very neat and unique experience, thanks for sharing.

NOW let's get the tape on that brute and enter him for Team #2!