Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

late season meat

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's great man. Can't wait to be back up yalls way. Glad the little one is interested. I can't hold my grin back everytime abi says daddy i want deer meat. Little girls are something else now.
That's the truth! My little girl loves snack sticks and knows they come from deer. Can't wait to send her to Kindergarten with them in her lunch! lmao

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Growing up in Mississippi and Alabama I know what you guys are talking about. They both had extremely liberal bag limits for deer. One point certain parts of Alabama was a doe a day and no season limit. Mississippi had a season limit of nine does and three bucks and it was all on the honor system. Despite all that though I never really had problems finding deer. I'm sure some of that had to do with the fact that I hunted primarily in the nutrient rich Mississippi River Delta. That and the fact that while the bag limits were extremely high, we also had massive expanses of timber, i'm sure there were deer in that delta that had never seen a human. And despite having the ability to hunt with a high-powered rifle I would say they were equally as challenging to kill as they are in Ohio with a bow. In Ohio a dear will stand 100 yards out in a field and just look at me. He knows he safe. Back in Mississippi however if you farted within 400 yards of one he took off to the next county because he knew that 7mm mag would reach him. Glad you enjoyed your time in Southeast Ohio. Next time you're back up give Jesse a ring maybe he could show you around a bit.

That's the truth! My little girl loves snack sticks and knows they come from deer. Can't wait to send her to Kindergarten with them in her lunch! lmao
That's it sir. If that baby wants snack sticks all you say is yes mam. Nothing better for a growing child then some true meat. Alot of folks now days feeding there child some freaking McDonald's chicken nuggets and a hot pocket calling that sufficient meat. Not in my house. We raise and slaughter cattle, hogs, chickens and hunt the great north American whitetail deer. Wouldn't have it any other way

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Agreed!

She eats mostly organic and I buy locally raised pork and beef now that we don't have our own. And of course the freezer is always stocked with wild game. We want the best for our girls and we owe it to them! Kudos to you for doing it right.

Growing up in Mississippi and Alabama I know what you guys are talking about. They both had extremely liberal bag limits for deer. One point certain parts of Alabama was a doe a day and no season limit. Mississippi had a season limit of nine does and three bucks and it was all on the honor system. Despite all that though I never really had problems finding deer. I'm sure some of that had to do with the fact that I hunted primarily in the nutrient rich Mississippi River Delta. That and the fact that while the bag limits were extremely high, we also had massive expanses of timber, i'm sure there were deer in that delta that had never seen a human. And despite having the ability to hunt with a high-powered rifle I would say they were equally as challenging to kill as they are in Ohio with a bow. In Ohio a dear will stand 100 yards out in a field and just look at me. He knows he safe. Back in Mississippi however if you farted within 400 yards of one he took off to the next county because he knew that 7mm mag would reach him. Glad you enjoyed your time in Southeast Ohio. Next time you're back up give Jesse a ring maybe he could show you around a bit.
Man i know what you mean. A whitetail deer is a whitetail deer in any state. We were talking on the way home about the difference in a deers reaction to an atv in different areas. Had a guy drive right by me up there on a blaster raising cane and a few minutes later had a herd of nannys walk right in there. Down here man i hunt a few places that if you bust off a four wheeler every deer that can hear it will start blowing like crazy.