Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Late season help

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Corn is 22 yards from my chair. Just set up the block target at 22 yards and shot 3 arrows and they all hit the bullseye. We're gonna try this crossbow thing on the deer again tonight.

Also put out a fresh 50 lbs bag of corn and set the camera on video mode. I'd like to see if that buck I shot comes back and see how he's walking and maybe see where I hit him. Still feel really bad about that but trying to shake it off. I checked the distance from my chair to where he was when I hit him and it was 31 yards. I guessed 30 yards so that's not what went wrong. I think the cold weather had me shaking a little and I probably just pulled the shot to the right a little and hit him in the shoulder.

Last edited:

rsmith

Good luck Joel! And don't beat yourself up about it man! Just get back out their and keep your head up! Good luck tonight hopefully he'll be back for round 2!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Small doe right before dark. Probably 2 minutes after I went in the house there were 3 more walking toward the corn just after dark. Trying again tomorrow.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just catching up on this one. Been MIA for a couple days. Sorry to hear you haven't found him Joel. Hope he makes it.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
The buck is alive and well. He showed up this morning on the camera at about 5:30am and gave me a nice video. He didn't seem to be limping and unfortunately I couldn't see where he was hit because of the black and white and crappy resolution. What makes this even more interesting is I think (99% sure) he is the same deer I started this thread about at another property almost 2 miles away. WTF. Unbelievable season...

If I don't get a shot at him again this year you can bet he will be at the top of my list for next year. Rudolph.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 85

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Have hope as he came back after getting his ass and pride hurt.

I'm still in shock from the whole experience. I've learned more about deer and seen more deer this year (and hunted waaaay more) than all my other seasons put together. I don't know how common this sort of thing is but I'm blown away. I have a picture of this buck as my phone background that was taken before Christmas, hence his nickname.

I mentioned something about seeing a big deer in my backyard after coming back from hunting one morning a month or so ago at 11am- it was him. We've been playing games with each other since right after gun season and I finally got a shot at the sneaky bastard only to track him three miles and he is still alive. I didn't realize it was the same deer until he showed up on the camera this morning. Playing all the sightings back in my mind and looking back through trail cam pictures it all came together. I have seen this deer from a distance 4 or 5 times, seen him on cameras at 2 places multiple times, actually connected with him at 30 yards and the fugger is still hanging out. Absolutely unreal to me and don't even know how to describe it.

I thought I had found and started hunting another big 8 point. Nope. rotflmao

IMG_0271.JPGWGI_0067.jpg

Last edited: