Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lab breeding!!! Its time!

Kaiser878

ohio
Just got the call tonight. THe bitch is starting her heat cycle! Leo will be maknig whoopy in the near future!
Choco on Choco
Papers included!
I think JEsse is the only one here who has hunted over him!

Here is a photo of my male, for those of you who are new and are not familiar with him!

Not a good pic of the bitch, As its the onyl one I have of her. This is from last litter!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What a douche. Buys a coat for his dog, but can't afford new tires for his truck. lmao

Have fun breeding your dog. . . errr. . . that didn't sound right.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If anyone here is wanting a pup for hunting, then this is a damn good litter to get one from. Zach's dog Leo is one of the most amazing animals I have ever been around. I thought my dog had drive until I hunted with Leo, but that dog has overdrive times 10!!! I'd have one from this mix if we weren't dead set on getting a yellow female the next time around. (But if by some chance you do get one, I'd like to throw my name in the ring for dibs!)

Kaiser878

ohio
OFA? Hips? Pedigree?

Leo is not from any championship blood lines. He has all his AKC stuff but no championship Kin.

WHen I got leo I was not intending on doing anything special with him. I got him for a personal waterfowl dog and a companion. HE has turned into that and so much more. I had no intentions of breeding him or anything. Although, once he matured and had some time under his belt he turned into a special animal. As many have seen, I post a lot of pictures of him, I am super proud to be his owner.. While doing this it has kinda developed into more than I ever thought it would. I have received lots on messages and emails about people wanting info on him and wanting to breed to him. I have turned down all of them. Im not just saying it because its my dog, but I love his build...and Thats why I got him from the parents that I did...HE is my idea of a "picture" perfect lab...Build, body, muscle structure and head.

He is not OFA certified.. Although, my main vet is at Copley at the metropolitan animal hosptial. I had them x ray his hips and had Dr. Day review them. He is well renowned orthopedic surgeon for dogs..HE said they would rate as fair to good. Depending on the certifier reading them. I never sent them in after that.. Hip certification is a huge political game in the dog world and I dont need to send someone 200 bucks to tell me something that my orthopedic vet told me.. Some people want it on paper, especially buyers...but I am not looking to make money off my dog nor am I breeding to produce champion show dogs...But I wanted an opinion before I bred him the first time. I didnt wanna have a hand in creating genetically doomed dogs.

Leo is a great dog, yes I am kinda partial, but he isnt perfect. I will say this though, the flaws he does have in behavior are my fault. I would put him up against anyones dog in any conditions anytime. He is a super swimmer with drive like none other. His specialty seems to be nasty frozen rivers. I dont know what it is about him, but cold, current and obstacles dont phase him. I have hunted him in as cold of weather as -15 before a wind chill, and he retrieved something like 21 birds that day. THis was the day jesse went...He has more photos than I do, but I will post a couple.

Two of the nicest pintails that dog will ever retrieve..Maybe two of the nicest I will ever see in Ohio.

As I said, he isnt perfect, nor is he from some champion blood lines...He is a hunter, and thats all! Just trying to make good hunting dogs!

Kaiser878

ohio
On a side note...I never really intended for him to do this but It just kinda started happening. I take Leo rabbit hunting with me and send him into the brush to flush the rabbits. He usually sniffs them out and he jumps them. I shoot them then he retrieves them. Kinda a novelty in his bag of goods! ha

matt hougan

Dayton area
Now the pm makes sense.

Here is the reason for my questions.

When folks list dogs for sale I am always skeptical of the breeding especially when it comes to buddies breeding their dogs. Very often dogs get bred for the wrong reasons, especially chocolate labs. More often then not chocolates get bred because of color rather any paryicular talent as a retriever, which should be the first consideration. At least in this case you. Have a dog that is a solid retriever and you have at least made sure he is sound physically. I would encourage you to send in the OFA, not for your benefit but for future buyers. The buyers of these pups may have a dog worthy of breeding and having a long history of.OFA certified dogs helps make the breed stronger ensuring only solid dogs get bred.

Any HR (human resource) person will tell you, dont mistake passion for skill. Drive in a dog is great but is only part of the equation. Nose, marking, trainability, problem solving, family/house, temperment are some other things that make a dog worthy of breeding.

It seeme you've done a good job with him and sounds like you have a fine animal. Should make some great companion hunter puppies. Good luck!

Kaiser878

ohio
Now the pm makes sense.

Here is the reason for my questions.

When folks list dogs for sale I am always skeptical of the breeding especially when it comes to buddies breeding their dogs. Very often dogs get bred for the wrong reasons, especially chocolate labs. More often then not chocolates get bred because of color rather any paryicular talent as a retriever, which should be the first consideration. At least in this case you. Have a dog that is a solid retriever and you have at least made sure he is sound physically. I would encourage you to send in the OFA, not for your benefit but for future buyers. The buyers of these pups may have a dog worthy of breeding and having a long history of.OFA certified dogs helps make the breed stronger ensuring only solid dogs get bred.

Any HR (human resource) person will tell you, dont mistake passion for skill. Drive in a dog is great but is only part of the equation. Nose, marking, trainability, problem solving, family/house, temperment are some other things that make a dog worthy of breeding.

It seeme you've done a good job with him and sounds like you have a fine animal. Should make some great companion hunter puppies. Good luck!

I agree with you...I should have sent his stuff in, just never did.

As far as qualities for buying I agree with you also..I think he is a little smarter than the guy that trained him. ha One thing I was very fortunate with is that he hasa great nose..A few years ago I was hunting a bottom that had been flooded then froze then receded. Leaving a layer of ice and a foot gap to the ground beneath. THere as one water hole being held open and it had about 5 or 6 pintails in it and a handful of other birds...I had to go to work and didnt have time to set up...so i convinced myself I could put a sneak on and nab one of the dandy sprigs in that hole....welll needless to say my approach was flawed and they flushed when i was about 70 yards out....I kept walking towards the water and one lone black duck lifted off at about 40 yards..I pulled p and dropped it.. When the duck hit it broke through the ice..it apparently wasnt dead and started moving under the layer of ice...

I sent leo and let him get to work...15 minutes later and about 50 yards from where the bird was shot Leo broke through the ice and brought me back probably the most sought after prize in waterfowling... TO my amazement the bird he was carrying was sporting a Jack Miner band.... That day I realized why they say a good dog is the best conservation tool a waterfowler can have.

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
I've been killing myself thinking about getting a lab. I want a dog really bad but working 12 hour shift work makes it pretty unfair to the dog being left alone alot. Under different circumstances I'd be all over this.