Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Knew this day would come.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Thanks alot guys. I would hate to do that though. I'm gonna try my best to find some new property. Might try to pay for someone's taxes in exchange for hunting.

Diablo54

Outside
Thanks alot guys. I would hate to do that though. I'm gonna try my best to find some new property. Might try to pay for someone's taxes in exchange for hunting.

What are you doing tommorow or Sunday. There is a big farm down the road here that looks awesome. It looks like an old cattle farm but they have quit running cattle. I was thinking about going to talk to the owner. I do not see any signs and it does not look leased or hunted.

Most of my old farms are now developments, golf courses, and "green space". Thus the reason in 99 we bought our own slice of heaven.

This is the only way to secure your hunting future. Guys pay $40,000 for a new pickup and never bat an eye. But cringe at the thought of $80,000 for 30-40 acres of ground. The truck will be toast in 10 years, but the ground is yours for life. To me it is a no brainer which is better to own.

A man doesn't need a 100+ acre piece of ground to have good hunting. A small piece in the right location will do just fine.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
This is the only way to secure your hunting future. Guys pay $40,000 for a new pickup and never bat an eye. But cringe at the thought of $80,000 for 30-40 acres of ground. The truck will be toast in 10 years, but the ground is yours for life. To me it is a no brainer which is better to own.

A man doesn't need a 100+ acre piece of ground to have good hunting. A small piece in the right location will do just fine.

Bingo. I hope to be able to do just that within the next 5 to 10 years.

I plan on losing hunting spots yearly. It's just something you have to accept if you don't own your own land. My goal though is to keep every spot I have permission on plus add to it. It's a never ending process, and it is a pain in the butt, however it's my only option. I also hunt public ground too as a back up. You've always got to have a back up plan.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I agree Horton. I would love to be able to buy even a small chunk of land. Hopefully sometime in my near future I'll be able to save up and invest a little. Thanks alot for the support though guys. This sucks!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have a small piece. By small, I mean five acres small. If the 8 acres wood next door ever comes up for sale, I'd like to have it too. It's in a good location and it's mine. I wish it was larger, but I'm grateful to own it.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I agree Horton. I would love to be able to buy even a small chunk of land. Hopefully sometime in my near future I'll be able to save up and invest a little. Thanks alot for the support though guys. This sucks!
You are in a fortunate position right now that can benefit you. Best advice I can give you is make sure all you large purchases are for necessity and not wants.. That's how you will get to your goals. You can do this and even at those land prices its still affordable. It will crimp your style somewhat but after about 10 years you will be pissed you didn't buy more.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Thanks milo, that's what I'm hoping. And by style, I have no style haha. I could care less about that. I always try to think into the future and try to do what will benefit me best. I have a 3 acre lot right now, with does all over the place and a huge wood lot behind me that borders a lake. Maybe I should honestly focus on the back yard this year.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
uploadfromtaptalk1409492533756.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Its not about how much you have, but how good what you have is and can be. I have access to far more property than I can effectively hunt thanks to family, friends and a dwindling supply of folks nice enough to let me hunt. All told, 2K acres worth of quality ground. However the 11 acres behind my parents place remains the best ground I have. Its in the right place in regards to local genetics, food, cover, and topography. Its far better than our 80 acres and the 50 next to at the farm in regards to rut traffic. With all the ground I have, losing that 11 acres would hurt worse than anything.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Thanks milo, that's what I'm hoping. And by style, I have no style haha. I could care less about that. I always try to think into the future and try to do what will benefit me best. I have a 3 acre lot right now, with does all over the place and a huge wood lot behind me that borders a lake. Maybe I should honestly focus on the back yard this year.

That doesn't sound bad. If there are does eventually the bucks will be following. And there is no drive time.

Last edited:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Its not about how much you have, but how good what you have is and can be. I have access to far more property than I can effectively hunt thanks to family, friends and a dwindling supply of folks nice enough to let me hunt. All told, 2K acres worth of quality ground. However the 11 acres behind my parents place remains the best ground I have. Its in the right place in regards to local genetics, food, cover, and topography. Its far better than our 80 acres and the 50 next to at the farm in regards to rut traffic. With all the ground I have, losing that 11 acres would hurt worse than anything.

I'm in a similar boat, I just don't have 2k acres, more like 900. But my in laws 8 acres of woods is my best spot, genetics, low pressure, cover, and food make this and the surrounding properties a gold mine.

Milo

Tatonka guide.

Honestly we found our place in the newspaper.. If I showed you a picture of it then and now you would have never thought it would be where it is now. It's all about planning. Pine trees we planted 10 years ago are so thick you can't even see 10 yards..it was all pasture before.. Just get your finances in order and bank some cash. Get your dad involved too and see where they are at with money.

I own just under 10 acres and only about 8 acres of it is huntable. The only pressure is during gun season and that is fairly light. Deer use my property mainly as a travel route.

Milo is right. I wish I had bought more when I was younger. I could buy more now, but at this stage of my like I just don't see the need to.