Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Just about done.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I feel your pain Joe! Lots of good advise here but I'd just add, just wait till the harshes of winter come upon us and these douchebags won't be out hunting and you'll pretty much have everything to yourself. Just sayin'!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Those big mature deer most likely just hunker down when all the dipshits are trudging around. Those mature deer have been exposed to that kind of activity longer than all the other deer around, think about it...The chances of the careless hunter or weekend warrior tagging one of the brutes in your area is really quite slim.

I feel your pain Joe, what you experienced this year is commonplace every year up here where I live.

The first morning of gun season I got to my spot to sit, a place where I had carefully bowhunted all fall without seeing a single person, when in pulled a S-10 truck with Tennessee license plates....the guy got out and introduced himself to me as Eddie..... Johnny's (landowners son) cousin from Tennesee....

I said hello, he said, im going back yonder over there to sit....and my other cousin is sitting on the other side of the creek....

FUCK! ruined my plans for the day that's for sure. So much for the patterning I did of a really nice buck....these guys were telling me they were going to sit right where I have been hunting all fall and where I planned to be that day.

What could I do? Nothing really, just smiled and told him good luck and went to one of my other stands.

You are correct. Tank was bedded about 100 yards from where I dumped the pumpkins. He wasn't in the main island that is about 10 acres, he was in a 1/4 acre small Isolated island about 100 yards away.. The guy said he was driving his quad by the island and saw him bedded. His head was flat on the ground looking under the brush. The guy was maybe 30 yards away. The other guy with him thought he was dead. They stopped the quad and boom tank shot out of there.. He was going to lay there with his chin laying flat on the ground and let them pass.. What worries me is Tank was on the run right before gun. He had been bumped out.. All I can hope is that he found a secure place before gun the next week. But it doesn't bother me so much if people kill them. It's a fact we all have to face. There are plenty of nice deer. It just kills me when people do like what happened to you above.. They don;t know any better and have just as much right to be there as us. But it burns me up when we put forth all that effort and some lackey in one move jacks it up.

TurkeyFizz

Hunting is meant to be fun. I have been hunting for 30+ years and have been where you are. Frustratated ready to give up pissed off about it all wondering why I don't enjoy it like I used too. When I get like that its time to rethink what I'm doing,cause I do love to hunt. So what ever I'm doing that is causing the stress I quit doing it. Do some other hunting that you haven't done in years or something that you used to enjoy. I have walked out of the woods already on the first day of gobbler season 20 min. after light because I just didn't feel like being there. May sound strange to some but if it(hunting) starts to feel like work or stresses me I just don't do it. Since I adopted that attitude I enjoy hunting a whole lot more.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You will be faced with similar issues even if you find a lease, maybe not to the same degree but you will still face challenges.

Most of us could never purchase or lease a property large enough to have complete control over the deer.

I have a large tract of land that I have exclusive hunting rights to. The problem is the deer don't seem to understand the property lines very well. They don't understand that if they would just stay on the property that the chances of them being killed is minisclue.

We have many of the largest sections of woods on the property off limits all fall, we never venture into them. It does provide a sanctuary of sorts but they are not all always smart enough to understand it.

I run a bunch of cameras all year and get to know the deer really well. When I watch the drives on the adjoining properties I know many of my resident deer are being hammered. When I watch a group of does or any buck cross the property lines during the gun seasons I know I will hear a shot(s) any second and most of the time I do.

I know I have a great setup that anybody would like to have, I get it and I really do understand what I have and appreciate it. However even in this great situation there are some issues that bother me that I just can't control no matter how much time, energy and money I invest.

I know it sounds like I'm whining when I have little to whine about, but the reality is that unless you control HUGE areas of property you still will have stuff to deal with that you don't like.

Here's what I'm thinking though.. You don't have to lease a large property, try to control the deer, or hope the deer understand property lines. They don't even have to stay on the property.. Instead of worrying about all that, just lease a property where it isn't a concern. We all know the old widow cat lady who doesn't allow hunting.. I would look at her neighbors. If you can't find a single owner for a mile that allows hunting. I would be talking to the one of them about leasing. 500-1000 bucks can turn a "no" into a "go" quite fast and open up some prime property.. How about a property bordering a nature preserve, or a factory. The key is to find one where geographically you don't have to worry about your neighbors. I don't need 500 acres. Just the right 50 and the ability to do my thing without getting over run.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hunting is meant to be fun. I have been hunting for 30+ years and have been where you are. Frustratated ready to give up pissed off about it all wondering why I don't enjoy it like I used too. When I get like that its time to rethink what I'm doing,cause I do love to hunt. So what ever I'm doing that is causing the stress I quit doing it. Do some other hunting that you haven't done in years or something that you used to enjoy. I have walked out of the woods already on the first day of gobbler season 20 min. after light because I just didn't feel like being there. May sound strange to some but if it(hunting) starts to feel like work or stresses me I just don't do it. Since I adopted that attitude I enjoy hunting a whole lot more.

Very very true. I've thought about getting back in to trapping. I run Coon dogs on occasion and have a blast with that. I have fun when deer hunting. It's really a passion for me.. The things that make me mad and want to quit are 100% out of my control.

Diablo54

Outside
Quitter. You all take hunting way to seriously. Slow down and enjoy what god has made for you to enjoy. He didnt only make big bucks, he made all kinda of things that should put a smile on your face when you see or hear them. No one deserves a big buck. I don't care how hard you work for it or scout it or do whatever to get it. You don't deserve it. Im not saying you are wrong for being annoyed or upset. All I am saying is that you are taking it Way to serious. And that kills the point. Hunting isn't supposed to be about killing big giant deer. IMO it is about being with nature, learning/gainin grespect, being with family and most of all relaxing. Take a few Steps back Joe and think about it. Who gives a shit if you kill Tank or a 120" 8 pt. it's just a deer. What do you need to kill the big one for? To show off? I had found myself guilty of the big buck bs for a few years and it made me hate hunting. Shoot whatever makes you happy. My 115 " 8 point made me just as happy as my biggest buck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We have had this conversation Joe. Is it the hunt? Or is it the kill? Is it picking up a chick in Nashville? Or is knowing you could have? I know your answer. It is not about the kill. You just want the opportunity without the distractions.

My buddy bought a chunk. Neighboring properties were low pressure. We still have issues. Last week I didn't hunt deer. I hunted trespassers. Even if you own a large chunk, I don't think you will ever totally escape these issues. . . . .not in Ohio. Maybe out west somewhere, but not here. You find that happy medium place where you can pursue (and see) deer which make you grin, and latch onto it buddy. I still think it is cheaper to lease it than buy it though. Learning this by watching my buddy purchase a large chunk, purchasing a small chunk myself, and being the supposedly "only" hunter on another property. In Ohio, we are never alone. There will always be some jackwaggon screwing it up.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Quitter. You all take hunting way to seriously. Slow down and enjoy what god has made for you to enjoy. He didnt only make big bucks, he made all kinda of things that should put a smile on your face when you see or hear them. No one deserves a big buck. I don't care how hard you work for it or scout it or do whatever to get it. You don't deserve it. Im not saying you are wrong for being annoyed or upset. All I am saying is that you are taking it Way to serious. And that kills the point. Hunting isn't supposed to be about killing big giant deer. IMO it is about being with nature, learning/gainin grespect, being with family and most of all relaxing. Take a few Steps back Joe and think about it. Who gives a shit if you kill Tank or a 120" 8 pt. it's just a deer. What do you need to kill the big one for? To show off? I had found myself guilty of the big buck bs for a few years and it made me hate hunting. Shoot whatever makes you happy. My 115 " 8 point made me just as happy as my biggest buck.

I fear you're missing the point of what I'm talking about. I could care less if I kill him or a booner for years.. And it's not about bragging rights. If that were true I would have shot a 130 back in early November. I do enjoy my hunting and time afield immensely.. And yes I do take my hunting way to serious.. But not for the reasons you stated. I actually enjoy all the prep work more than I do actually hunting..

Lets try to explain it this way.. You spend months working on the most perfect sand castle you can imagine. You put your time, energy, and devotion in to it.. You are having a blast, really you don't care how long it takes, and you secretly hope you never finish it because you enjoy the process of doing it. You toil and fidget with this and that you're having a blast building this sand castle. Then. Just as you think it's starting to look good. Some fat twinkey eating lackey barges on to the beach and does a belly flop right on it..

Let that sink in.. Do you think you would keep whistling Dixie? It's not about the castle. You could have cared less if you even finished it and you had a blast working on it.. It's not that you have to start over, because you really enjoy it.. It's that you tried very hard and worked tirelessly only to have some twinkie eating blubber butt do a belly flop on it. Now, fattie has just as much right to be there as you do. It's just as much his sand as it is yours. But none of that negates the fact that twinkie boy is a bonehead.. How do you get rid of tubby.. You go buy or lease a private beach where you can build your castle, have a ball, and not have to worry about ten ton tom doing a belly flop on it. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
We have had this conversation Joe. Is it the hunt? Or is it the kill? Is it picking up a chick in Nashville? Or is knowing you could have? I know your answer. It is not about the kill. You just want the opportunity without the distractions.

My buddy bought a chunk. Neighboring properties were low pressure. We still have issues. Last week I didn't hunt deer. I hunted trespassers. Even if you own a large chunk, I don't think you will ever totally escape these issues. . . . .not in Ohio. Maybe out west somewhere, but not here. You find that happy medium place where you can pursue (and see) deer which make you grin, and latch onto it buddy. I still think it is cheaper to lease it than buy it though. Learning this by watching my buddy purchase a large chunk, purchasing a small chunk myself, and being the supposedly "only" hunter on another property. In Ohio, we are never alone. There will always be some jackwaggon screwing it up.

You're right, you do know my answer.

I understand what you mean about property.. And I'm sure there will be an issue or two.. But you know me well enough to know I handle issues differently than most. :)

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
This kind of reminds me of myself, in a way. I've fished hard all of my life. When I moved to Ohio, I discovered the walleye run in the Maumee River. It took me a couple of seasons to figure it out and I got good, really good. Fifteen years later, I don't even want to think about it. I got sick of all the dicks and I stopped enjoying myself. For a lot of years it was a numbers game and it became a chore. How many could I catch in one season? Now, I force myself to go so I can get some walleye in the freezer. I know guys that would give their left nut to live as close to the river as I do. Five years ago I decided to try hunting because I loved venison. Deer hunting is my new love. I feel that I am privileged to even be able to kill a deer and I wish I would have discovered deer hunting 20 years ago. I never want deer hunting to turn into the Maumee river walleye run. I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I relate to your feelings, Joe. The only consolation, is that I have found some enjoyment in the walleye run by changing my tactics. I rarely wade the river anymore. By taking my boat out, I can hit areas where no body else can bother me. I'm going to crack another beer.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Oh, I did buy some property last month. It's not huge, but it's mine. It needs work, but it's a blank canvas. I can make a sanctuary out of it and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I was not trying to hijack the thread. I just brought that up as an idea for Joe. Money will probably never be this cheap again.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This kind of reminds me of myself, in a way. I've fished hard all of my life. When I moved to Ohio, I discovered the walleye run in the Maumee River. It took me a couple of seasons to figure it out and I got good, really good. Fifteen years later, I don't even want to think about it. I got sick of all the dicks and I stopped enjoying myself. For a lot of years it was a numbers game and it became a chore. How many could I catch in one season? Now, I force myself to go so I can get some walleye in the freezer. I know guys that would give their left nut to live as close to the river as I do. Five years ago I decided to try hunting because I loved venison. Deer hunting is my new love. I feel that I am privileged to even be able to kill a deer and I wish I would have discovered deer hunting 20 years ago. I never want deer hunting to turn into the Maumee river walleye run. I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I relate to your feelings, Joe. The only consolation, is that I have found some enjoyment in the walleye run by changing my tactics. I rarely wade the river anymore. By taking my boat out, I can hit areas where no body else can bother me. I'm going to crack another beer.

So what you're saying is you got tired of all the Yahoo idiots on the river and went at found your own piece of water. That's exactly what I am planning on doing through either permission or a checkbook. :)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
By the way I sat down last night and printed out 26 properties off the auditors website that I will be visiting this summer. I wonder how large this portfolio will grow by the time May arrives. :) bound to be a diamond in this pile somewhere.