Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's 2017 Hunting Debacles

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I didn't do this but it almost ruined my day.
Setting in my tree stand in my woods 1st day of gun season about 10-12 yrs ago.
Here comes a trespasser walking across 4 neighbors picked corn field lots. He is dressed in safety orange head to toe, even has orange boots and sky mask on. Stops about 75 yrds away and just stands there. Then he puts his shotgun butt down on the ground and rests both of this hands on top of the muzzle. I thought to myself 'don't do that '. Then he rest his chip on top of his hands that are still on top of the muzzle. He rest like that for at least 10 minutes and I pray to the dear Lord 'don't ruin my life by watching you blow your stupid head off'.
He finally walks off and at least he didn't come on my property as I would have had him arrested for trespassing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
These should all look better come September, and even better next spring.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/594ac45e9ce75/20170621_140711.jpg?

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/594ac461c4128/20170621_142906.jpg?

20170621_142832.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Spent some time at the farm this weekend and things are shaping up nicely. Nothing good on the cams other than a decent showing of does and fawns. Only one buck sort of had my interest, but historically I don't have much on cam out there in the summer, at least not in recent years anyways. Corn is over head high on our place and the late beans are doing well on the neighboring farm. With all the rain we have had, there is no shortage of food!

I had some struggles with this plot early in the year. Grasses took over after the first mowing, which was almost too late to begin with. Then I had my dad mow it with the brushhog not thinking about how heavy it was and he laid down some massive lines of fodder, so I had to rake the entire plot! After raking, I sprayed for grasses and seeded some of the dead areas. I am now very pleased with this plot. With a well timed deployment of fertilizer and a tad more seed in a few places, this thing will be a magnet in October!

The Runway Plot is also filling in nicely after a slow start...

My small food plots doesn't look great and that's most likely a soil issue. We will have a dozer on the farm in the spring and will be building a road to this location, then making this plot about 4xs as wide. It's tucked in the oaks on our north ridge and there has been some great traffic up there the past few years. Once this plot is fully expanded, I will likely build a box blind on the southern end (facing south in the pic) for all day sits.

These two pics are what the deer see when walking in to my creek plot. This is where I fugged up on Wilson last year. This spot has come a LONG ways in recent years thanks to an explosion in cover nearby, creating a lot more bedding than we previously had. I fully expect this spot to be a perennial producer of opportunities.

Last edited:

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Although photobucket fucked up the thread, Im looking forward to future updates, especially ones with Miss K. Good luck this year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yeah, I'll fix that later this evening. The creek plot is the one at K's Spot. Going to fix up a creek crossing in the spring with that dozer so I can get a tractor in there. I can double the size of that plots with the dozer, a saw and a real food plot tool. I'm working to turn that 10 acre area of the farm in to the go to spot in our square mile. LOL

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Although photobucket fucked up the thread, Im looking forward to future updates, especially ones with Miss K. Good luck this year.
I can't see the pics either. Sounds like a dream come true though! I'm definitely a little jealous of the fact that you have property to do as you please on😎

Spent some time at the farm this weekend and things are shaping up nicely. Nothing good on the cams other than a decent showing of does and fawns. Only one buck sort of had my interest, but historically I don't have much on cam out there in the summer, at least not in recent years anyways. Corn is over head high on our place and the late beans are doing well on the neighboring farm. With all the rain we have had, there is no shortage of food!

I had some struggles with this plot early in the year. Grasses took over after the first mowing, which was almost too late to begin with. Then I had my dad mow it with the brushhog not thinking about how heavy it was and he laid down some massive lines of fodder, so I had to rake the entire plot! After raking, I sprayed for grasses and seeded some of the dead areas. I am now very pleased with this plot. With a well timed deployment of fertilizer and a tad more seed in a few places, this thing will be a magnet in October!

The Runway Plot is also filling in nicely after a slow start...

My small food plots doesn't look great and that's most likely a soil issue. We will have a dozer on the farm in the spring and will be building a road to this location, then making this plot about 4xs as wide. It's tucked in the oaks on our north ridge and there has been some great traffic up there the past few years. Once this plot is fully expanded, I will likely build a box blind on the southern end (facing south in the pic) for all day sits.

These two pics are what the deer see when walking in to my creek plot. This is where I fugged up on Wilson last year. This spot has come a LONG ways in recent years thanks to an explosion in cover nearby, creating a lot more bedding than we previously had. I fully expect this spot to be a perennial producer of opportunities.

These all look awesome! subscribed.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Thank you sir. I'm really close to getting some of my dream project done or started and with kids now, I'm building for their future. Lots of new ideas in play now that are just for my daughter. I enjoy the land management more than the hunting to be honest. Hunting is a grind and for me, almost an obligation some times. But I'd work on habitat improvement projects 365 days a year if I could.