Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jeep guys out there

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After my project truck burned up, I lost the wind in my sail for that project. I am still undecided on whether it will happen at a later date or not.

Always wanted a Jeep. Sure is tough to find them cheap. They are either newer and expensive, older and restored/expensive, or such a massive project I don't want them.

Yesterday I found my project vehicle. Like the molatov cocktail Chevy, this one is a driver. I can work on it here and there while enjoying it. This is the only way I can do this. I don't have the time or garage space to do a full restoration on anything. I need a 75% starting place. Lol

41657.jpeg

Passenger side needs pulled out or replaced. Blew a tire and took out tail light and dented corner pretty bad.

41659.jpeg

Drivers side is pretty respectable.

41663.jpeg

Engine is the 258 with 4 speed. Solid engine setup. The thing has an "alleged" actual miles of 59000. Supposedly original paint as well. It does appear original and not terribly faded when compared to dash and roll bar.

Tires are dry rotted. Battery is dead. Brakes go to floor. This is right up my alley sort of work. Floors have been repaired. Drivers side was done well. Passenger I'll redo. Only a couple other spots in need of attention. Shouldn't have to pull the tub to do it. Again, perfect for me. I don't have time to strip it to the frame.

I'll keep you updated when I get it home. For now it will be used as an UTV on my property. I need to do the disk brake conversion on my wife's Nova before I lift a finger to work on this Jeep.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Sweet CJ-5!
Jeep = Just Empty Every Pocket.
I had an 85 CJ-7 I bought back in '97 and finally just sold a few years ago. They are lots of fun and are really easy to work on. Lots of aftermarket parts available and plenty of forums on the web for any work you will need to do on it.
Congrats on the purchase!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Enjoy Phil! I know little on the SWB models, but loved my 92' XJ! They definitely don't build them like that any more...

Here she was on 31's right after the fender flares were removed but prior to the trimming needed to stuff 35's during full droop/compression:

IMG_0031.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am pretty sure the last year for the CJ-5 is 1983
I have an 81 cj-7 that I love, you have a great company in Ohio that will have all the parts you need.

https://www.4wd.com

Here is another great site
http://www.jeeptech.com/models/cj-5.htm

Thanks Clay. As I was doing some scrolling last night looking for parts. . . I was scratching my head. I wasn't finding jack squat for parts and began to wonder if it truly was an 84 or not. Guess this leaves me at "I bought a Jeep and don't even know what year it is!!!!" lmao Dude had it listed as 1984. Doesn't matter to me. I was buying a starting place. . . it will work.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Thanks Clay. As I was doing some scrolling last night looking for parts. . . I was scratching my head. I wasn't finding jack squat for parts and began to wonder if it truly was an 84 or not. Guess this leaves me at "I bought a Jeep and don't even know what year it is!!!!" lmao Dude had it listed as 1984. Doesn't matter to me. I was buying a starting place. . . it will work.

What does the title say? Lol

Also this is the best thing I ever did to my ci

http://howellefi.com/jeep-tbi-products/tbi-kit-1981-86-cj-4.2l-emissions-legal/

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What does the title say? Lol

Also this is the best thing I ever did to my ci

http://howellefi.com/jeep-tbi-products/tbi-kit-1981-86-cj-4.2l-emissions-legal/

I don't have the title yet. He wanted to send it with me as an open title. I need to tow it home. I told him to keep the title. Get it notarized. I offered $100 earnest money deposit. I'll be back on Monday with the balance of money and trailer. He is supposed to have the title notarized at this point. I'll find out what year it is when I pick it up I guess. lmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When we were teenagers my brother bought a 62 jeep, don't remember the exact model but CJ2 comes to mind, that thing would climb a tree with the gearing it had in it.... I think he had the leafs arched to get 33 or 35" tires under it, desert dogs?
He parked it in front of my parents and went out with some buddy's and a drunk female hit it head on at 45 mph (it was a 25 mph residential area) twisted the body off of the frame....
He then got a 75 CJ.... It wasn't half the jeep the 62 was....

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Here's a few pics of mine just after I cleaned it up to put it on Craigslist.
Shortly after I bought it I swapped out the 258 and 5 speed with an AMC 360 and T-18 tranny (this is the tranny with the non-synchronized granny low crawling gear, so basically a 3 speed).
I then added the 2.5 inch Skyjacker lift and 33 inch Buckshot Mudders. It was lots of fun but became impractical and just pretty much sat in the garage. About the only time I got it out was to take the kids to the DQ in it. They loved it!

IMG_3906.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

IMG_3907.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

Just 1 More

Have fun with it. I have a '98 Wrangler Sahara that has been a driver project. I picked it up in 2013 and just keep adding and changing things constantly. Ask me what i've done to it and i've probably done it, and it still needs a lot more :mad:

Here's a good place to get info http://www.wranglerforum.com/

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great looking Jeeps Iowa and Just 1! Impractical? Absolutely. This was clearly more of a want than a need.

Seller text me back. It is a 1982 according to the title. Good call Clay!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have two jeeps right now. A 95 that needs a tranny and a 2006 that my kid drives around.

As soon as I get some spare change I'll get the tranny fixed on the old one. Not sure if I'll sell it or hang onto it to piss around in. They're fun in the summer!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have two jeeps right now. A 95 that needs a tranny and a 2006 that my kid drives around.

As soon as I get some spare change I'll get the tranny fixed on the old one. Not sure if I'll sell it or hang onto it to piss around in. They're fun in the summer!
Shit. I'm in the wrong line of work. My wife and I are both driving older vehicles than your kid. I could only afford a 1982 Jeep. Hahaha. Give me some time. I'll get the 82 up to speed. Or someone will make me an offer and I'll sell it.

That Jeep the boys were driving last year at Mingo is a dang good looking Jeep bud. If I had that at 16. . . It wouldn't stay that purty. I'd have broken every rule my parents gave me. Lmao

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Ive got a 2009 X, the kids love it and its only out in the summer. I had a 1979 CJ7 with a fiberglass tub and customized 302 motor with a 3speed that was a blast to drive but I couldn't keep axles in, LOL but I also had a Mullet then TOO. Jeeps are fun, but damn Phil you took on more than I'd want to tackle. Enjoy

IMG_0395.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Lol. I will keep it pretty basic and driveable Aaron. If I want to go fast I'll be on 2 wheels. If I want to off road, I'll be on 2 wheels