Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jason's Fishing 2016

Jason Short

Wayne County
Caught a couple flatheads last night along with a few crappie. The bigger one was 44 inches but I didn't get a weight on it.

IMG_20160518_182446198_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160518_182324519_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160518_182349291_HDR.jpg

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
How do those taste? I've always wondered and you could have quite a fish fry with just one.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Congrats on the fish. I honestly hate to hear a 44" got ate instead of getting put back to fight another day. We only eat 10# and below. Great fish though man congrats!

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Not many big flatties around over 35# on the Muskingum, Tusc or Walhounding. You can catch 5-10# pretty regularly. There are tons of them around. However, in the last 10 years to many of the 30+ Pound shovels have been kept and not released. It's an old fish to get that big, just not many of them around. They are there, but like a 5+ year old buck, very few and far between. Everyone I know that seriously catfishes in my area turns the big boys back.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Another way to look at it would be like pond fishing for bass. You typically can catch a bunch of 2# or less of them because there are so many. How many 8+ pounders do you catch? And when you do, they go on your wall or immediatley back in after the hero shots. Same idea. You wouldn't eat an 8 pound bass, you would put him back in hopes of yourself or someone else hooking into him.

Jason Short

Wayne County
Yup you're right, normally I wouldn't keep one this big but I did for certain reasons. I won't say what the reason was cause that might give up my fishing spot and enough people fish there already.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Jason's a bass fisherman and flatheads eat live fish so my guess is he is going to eat the fish that has been eating his bass. Enjoy your fish dinner!!!

Jason Short

Wayne County
Haha no I kept the bigger one because I'm not sure how much longer there will be fish living in this spot. I don't mind a few bass being eaten, something's gotta keep the population in check since everybody releases them nowadays

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
The Maumee seems to have a hefty population of large flat heads. From what I've seen on a local tackle shop site, they are all keepers too.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Congrats on a great fish. Flatheads are my favorite to fish and eat out of the cats. We also only keep 5 pounders for eating and put the big ones back.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I hate catching them slimy bastards lol.... You'll have slime 2' up the line from them rolling...
Have caught 15-20lb cats while bass fishing...

Jason Short

Wayne County
We fished a club tournament at Tappan yesterday and caught around 7 or 8 little bass. I hate that lake lol....Then this afternoon I did some swamp fishing using my buddies kayak and caught 4 little guys in a couple hours. Here's the biggest one. Nothing special just some fun little bass

IMG_20160522_135744083_HDR.jpg