Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackson County Area ?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
My last in this.

Follow the actions on leasing until its conclusion. It ends with Hunt Clubs that you have to deal with jack wagons all the same except now you are paying for it.

Average Joe starts leasing.

Leasing prices go up.

Land prices then jump for land that is not "in demand". (I.E. Jackson, Meigs, etc...)

Hunt Clubs start so that you can get big enough tracks and pool money.

Now most are paying to hunt the same land (type) they hunted before.

Doesn't make much sense TOO me unless you want the short term band-aid for yourself that feeds into a bad situation.

Kaiser878

ohio
I understand your thought process beener.

The guy I'm working on right now got burnt by an outfitter. Bit he has more money than he will ever need. So money isn't an issue. He signed me a trapping permission slip this year. About Feb I'll stop over with a thank u card and a gift certificate for he and his wife to go eat.... and my check book/ wad of Benjamin's.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
My beef with non residents who lease: First and Foremost, they are trespassing on adjoining properties and telling me to get off "their lease". They think they own the whole county. This year some red haired punk from the "neighborhood" conned the long distance landowner to let him lease the property for the price of the real estate taxes. He in turn found some idiots from New Jersey to pay him 10 times what the taxes were. Well these NJ guys have been racing 4 wheelers, hunting after dark and of course trespassing on all adjacent properties AND I believe bringing in other hunters from other states at even higher prices.

Its a big money game and I end up with clowns from NJ, Idaho, Florida, Virginia, Iowa, of course Michigan putting up tree stands on the wrong property not to mention using high powered rifles to poach their trophy deer.
This is a commercial business, why do ohio fishing guides need a Ohio license, coast guard license and liability insurance?
Yet the people engaged in "guided hunts" do not need OHIO licenses, no requirement for liability insurance, and no doubt these guys are not reporting the income on their 1040 or Ohio income tax forms. The ODNR is grossly negligent in not requiring a state license for any profit making guide business. which is what leasing is.

Most of the farmers who lease have no idea they are getting ripped off by these middlemen claiming to be hunters.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
My beef with non residents who lease: First and Foremost, they are trespassing on adjoining properties and telling me to get off "their lease". They think they own the whole county. This year some red haired punk from the "neighborhood" conned the long distance landowner to let him lease the property for the price of the real estate taxes. He in turn found some idiots from New Jersey to pay him 10 times what the taxes were. Well these NJ guys have been racing 4 wheelers, hunting after dark and of course trespassing on all adjacent properties AND I believe bringing in other hunters from other states at even higher prices.

Its a big money game and I end up with clowns from NJ, Idaho, Florida, Virginia, Iowa, of course Michigan putting up tree stands on the wrong property not to mention using high powered rifles to poach their trophy deer.
This is a commercial business, why do ohio fishing guides need a Ohio license, coast guard license and liability insurance?
Yet the people engaged in "guided hunts" do not need OHIO licenses, no requirement for liability insurance, and no doubt these guys are not reporting the income on their 1040 or Ohio income tax forms. The ODNR is grossly negligent in not requiring a state license for any profit making guide business. which is what leasing is.

Most of the farmers who lease have no idea they are getting ripped off by these middlemen claiming to be hunters.
I never understand why people have to paint a broad brush like this. Not every NR who has a lease trespasses and acts the way you described. That has been your personal experience. It's like saying everyone from the middle east is a terrorist, every black person is a lootter, and every hunter is an inbred redneck. NR hunters are just like every group in society, they have some bad apples. I've read just as many complaints on this site about trespassing by residents.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I never understand why people have to paint a broad brush like this. Not every NR who has a lease trespasses and acts the way you described. That has been your personal experience. It's like saying everyone from the middle east is a terrorist, every black person is a lootter, and every hunter is an inbred redneck. NR hunters are just like every group in society, they have some bad apples. I've read just as many complaints on this site about trespassing by residents.
I agree with most of this. I do believe most middle easterners are terrorists. At the very least they all hate Americans. Lol

Tough to assume every NR lessor is a bad egg. Simply not true. That said, local or NR who sub leases opens the possibility of inconsiderate people. The farther removed from the original lessor or property owner it gets, the worse it seems to get. My property had this happen to it with the prior owner. Prior owner agreed to allow a lease. Guy leasing sold hunts to out of staters who he lied to. They thought they had permission on numerous properties while they truly had permission on one 7acre parcel. It got ugly.

Blackbeard

Oak Hill, OH
After reading this thread I like this site more than ever. The first page of replies did it for me.

dthbyhoyt, there are no bucks in Jackson County worth hunting, all of the land here is leased, and all of the property owners are jerkoffs anyway. I'd go to some other county.

twireman

Kingston, OH
Had some outta staters lease beside us this year. Middle of summer here they come on there shiny new quad right into my parents yard. Tried to tell my ol man they were checkin out there new lease. He was like get the fuck outta here ya dumbasses lol. Then first week of nov they come back to proceed to hang stands on the line and feed on our property. More no trespassing signs insued and they got the drift and pulled stands.

Dad has a few of these gems up now lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418342003.768303.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely! Do you know where there is any bucks over 170?

I am not certain if this was meant to be a stab at my comment but actually I have seen quite a few 160" to 170" deer taken in my WMU back in PA. The reality though is that I could care less because I dont hunt to play "How big is your dick".

Hunting is meant to be a personal endeavor in which one gains enjoyment out of. It bothers me when people hunt solely to kill and more so only to brag. I have meant quite a few people in my life that find no enjoyment of the act of hunting but are only out for sole purpose of killing a big buck as their drive is more ego driven then anything (i.e. "The my dick is bigger than yours theory")

To each their own though. My personal gratification from hunting comes from the fact that I grew up hunting/trapping everyday of my youth for all allowable species by the game commision and now I have limited time so I try to enjoy it as much as possible. It was not about the kill but about the chase as well as it provided an activity to enjoy time with friends and family.

If my sole motive in hunting was to only hunt deer and more so to shot a 170" I would probably no longer hunt. The fact of the matter is that it is a freaking horn that grows on top of a deers head thats it......not some kind of magical genie lamp. That would be like squirrel hunters going around measuring the length of the squirrels tail. I do not disagree with people for hunting mature as in "aged" deer but a deer is no older, smarter, wiser, or more successful of a harvest solely based on the size of its antlers.

When I shoot a buck it is not because I am can't wait to go home and whip out the tape measure and get it to the taxidermist but because I feel that this is the deer that I want memorialize my season with so when I look at that rack I can flashback and remember all moments of that archery season. I have shot many smaller 2 and 3 year old bucks that stand out alot more to me than my biggest buck because they offer memories and experiences from that year.

But again to each their own if the hunt is solely about the anter and that is your directive ok.....I support any hunter in that we need hunters to be able to support the hobby.

I think he eluded to the notion that there are 170 class bucks in Ohio behind every tree...only if you lease the land that is. It's all about bragging rights these days and for some high $$ leasing seems to be the answer to that 170 class'er!

teej89

NE PA
The fact of the matter is that it is a freaking horn that grows on top of a deers head thats it......

nope, it's an antler :pickle:

I think we've started to finally drift away from the original subject..... that everyone from PA is bad for Ohio.

hahahaha i'm just messing, born and raised PA kid here

I am consumed with deer...no I wouldn't lease if I wasn't big buck driven. It wouldnt matter if I wasn't....... I want a chunk of property that isn't molested by other dip shits. If u can get that..... killing big deer isn't hard.... a big deer is easy to kill if unmolested by other hunters.....

I completely understand the directive for why hunters currently lease. That was not really my discussion I was more so identifying that leasing restricts access for hunters who enjoy other things besides sitting in the deer stand. Small parcels are fine for hunting archery out of but to enjoy other forms of hunting it is frustrating when there is absolutely no access to ground to hunt squirrels or rabbit or groundhogs or crow on. If the landownder is only concerned with posting for deer hunting I wish that instead they would identify such and still allow individuals on to hunt other wild game.

Unfortunately with out knowing specifics and not having a terminology page I can not fully understand the brevity of these so called "dip shits" but I want to welcome the idea that hunting is a sport that should be shared with other enthusiasts. If they are being referred to as "dip shits" because they are solely just adding more pressure to an area I feel that is a little unjust to use as a reference, but rightfully so if they are actually consuming in activities that are harmful to the land or are not conducive to supporting hunting activites (i.e. riding quads during prime hours, etc...) then I would be in agreeance.

In retrospect: Paying money to hunt property; baiting/feeding deer; unpressured deer; sole purpose of killing big deer ..................A deer farm sounds like the perfect hunting location for this

I myself enjoy hunting deer that see some form of pressure it makes it that much more challenging. I once had a buddy talk me into hunting near a residential suburb. Walking in spotted a nice 8 pt at 20 yds over the bank. It looked at us then put its head down and kept feeding. I drew back it looked over again then put its head down and kept feeding. Of course in the moment I shot it but have been very disgusted with myself ever since........that was not hunting it was not a challenge at all the deer was basically tame, the fact is I could shot nice deer there every year but I refuse to ever do that again.

nope, it's an antler :pickle:

I think we've started to finally drift away from the original subject..... that everyone from PA is bad for Ohio.

hahahaha i'm just messing, born and raised PA kid here

Western or Eastern PA?..........I am pretty sure the original topic was some guy from like NH or NC wanting a lease.

Although PA hunters anywhere besides PA is probably bad for that state. They take the term "slaughterhouse" to a whole new perspective.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It bothers me when people hunt solely to kill and more so only to brag. I have meant quite a few people in my life that find no enjoyment of the act of hunting but are only out for sole purpose of killing a big buck as their drive is more ego driven then anything.

This may be true for some hunters, but I know many on this site (myself excluded), who hunt big mature bucks because it's a challenge.

This may be true for some hunters, but I know many on this site (myself excluded), who hunt big mature bucks because it's a challenge.

I do not disagree by any means but for one antler size does not define maturarity (thats why I said "I do not disagree with people for hunting mature as in "aged" deer but a deer is no older, smarter, wiser, or more successful of a harvest solely based on the size of its antlers.") A 4 year old is a 4 year old no matter its antler size and is no more challenging based on its antler size.

and for two "maturity" does not necessarily speak to a challenge. An older deer that has seen no hunting pressure in its life is certainly no more challenging that a 2 or 3 year old that has been hunted hard and even shot at. My bets would be on the 2 or 3 year old to make it through to the next season. Maturity usually relates to experience over time but if the deer has very limited exposure to hunting it has no reason to fear.

My only understanding of how antler size defines challenging is strictly a "numbers" game and the odds of seeing that one buck or a certain size range of antler within a season is all based on the availability of those deer in that area. I would not at that point call that challenging but a matter of luck. Deer themselves are creatures of habit and are fairly easy to pattern without the experience of past hunting pressure it is just a matter doing due diligence in patterning deer and then relying on the odds that the deer holds to those patterns. At that point it becomes more subject the size of the deer on the property not so much the challenge it is to get them.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Very good post PA bandit, you've brought up some very good points. I believe what Zach meant by dip shits was the Jackson cop wounding the deer and other people's questionable activities hurting the herd in and around his area. If a person was to lease a large enough area they could minimize these issues somewhat.
The TV hunting shows have caused our sport to be so popular that the added amount of new hunters and liberal doe tags handed out by all states DOW offices has really hurt our numbers in many areas.
Those who do have nice numbers of deer around should feel very fortunate. They must have large amounts of inaccessible land nearby to help give their area herd some protection.
Not all NR hunters are bad just as not all locals are good. POS live in all states even Ohio.
The OP just went about his original intention the wrong way. Leasing has gotten way out of hand and money is and will always be the root of it!
My bro and some buddies and I started leading 3 years ago not to just hunt for big bucks but just to ensure that we have a place to hunt! Otherwise someone else would have leased it! Unfortunately in the future it will prolly become a bidding war and the spoils will go to the one with the most money! That is sad and scary but true!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I will argue this though. Killing a 2.5-3.5 deer is not as challenging as killing a 4.5 and up deer no matter what the sex. Just has killing a yearling or 1.5 year old is to a 2.5-3.5 year old. It's all relative and we as hunters have different goals levels of enjoyment in the outdoors.
Plain and simple, once a deer gets to that 4.5 year of age they just get more cautious,wiser and nocturnal, IMO. Deer of this age class are also of the much smaller percent of the total population thus decreasing your odds of an encounter. When it comes to mature bucks just seeing one in daylight from your tree is a success,IMO.
To each their own is fine by me.