Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackson County Area ?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just my opinion but I do not like what leasing has done to hunting as a sport.....the "big buck" theory has in my eyes created more bad than it has good

I agree. But I don't think leasing did that. The big buck craze has caused a lot of people to be in the woods that shouldn't be. Jackass michael waddel weekend warrior wannabes have closed more private ground to hunting than leasing has. Anymore you have to lease to get away from them.

Kaiser878

ohio
To many morons in the woods is what created leasing.... guys who lease are typically tired of dealing with the waddell wannabes. So they lease LANs so they can control it. That's why we lease. And will continue too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
That's why I plan to lease. I want something in an area that doesn't have the magnitude of dipshits that our farm has. Our 76 acres will always suck because I have fucktards in every directions as far as you can see.

rzylkie

I find it funny how all you guys blame out of state hunters for everything first of all the majority of out state hunters get here thru third party residents that have figured out they can lease land for 15 to 20 per acre and lease it out for 30+ per acre what it boils down to is money rules has nothing to do with out state or residents. If you want to lease check out basecamp leasing or huntdeerinohio but it's not cheap I personaly don't have a lease but wouldn't mind finding one.the good thing is a lot of people are starting to go to Indiana there non resident lic. Are reasonable,they are a one buck state, and have bundle lic package for 225 which comes with three deer tags.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I find it funny how all you guys blame out of state hunters for everything first of all the majority of out state hunters get here thru third party residents that have figured out they can lease land for 15 to 20 per acre and lease it out for 30+ per acre what it boils down to is money rules has nothing to do with out state or residents. If you want to lease check out basecamp leasing or huntdeerinohio but it's not cheap I personaly don't have a lease but wouldn't mind finding one.the good thing is a lot of people are starting to go to Indiana there non resident lic. Are reasonable,they are a one buck state, and have bundle lic package for 225 which comes with three deer tags.

I would encourage you to revisit the content of this forum and re-assess this statement...it couldn't be further from the truth. Matter of fact, many who have contributed to this very thread are NR themselves...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I would encourage you to revisit the content of this forum and re-assess this statement...it couldn't be further from the truth. Matter of fact, many who have contributed to this very thread are NR themselves...

My sentiments exactly Ryan... Well put.... His first part of the post was way off base in my opinion....

I agree. But I don't think leasing did that. The big buck craze has caused a lot of people to be in the woods that shouldn't be. Jackass michael waddel weekend warrior wannabes have closed more private ground to hunting than leasing has. Anymore you have to lease to get away from them.

I don't disagree by any means but it just creates more private ground which limits people that actually hunt but can not afford to own/lease property. This in such that if it weren't for "Big Buck" theory I don't think that people would be involved in leasing. I personally would be fine with leaving property alone for deer if the owner(s) asked but would like to have open areas to small game/turkey/predator/dove/crow/etc...

I find it strange that hunters have become so indulged in deer hunting that the majority do not participate in much of these other hunting activities as well coming from a state with a lot more public access the thought of only having 50 acres to hunt baffles me. My parents farm back in PA was around 150 acres and at many times I felt very land locked in that it is not much to cover that small of a parcel for any form of hunting.

Kaiser878

ohio
That's the exact reason guys bait so much. Small parcels of land require some sort of attractant.

The majority of properties I hunt are 80 acres or less. The prop by my house is 700..... and all but useless..... didn't have a single deer on cam I wanted to kill.... I ran about 7 cams on the prop..... u need the rt chunk of land.....it doesn't matter if its 15 acres or 500......

Kaiser878

ohio
I am consumed with deer...no I wouldn't lease if I wasn't big buck driven. It wouldnt matter if I wasn't....... I want a chunk of property that isn't molested by other dip shits. If u can get that..... killing big deer isn't hard.... a big deer is easy to kill if unmolested by other hunters.....

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That's the exact reason guys bait so much. Small parcels of land require some sort of attractant.

The majority of properties I hunt are 80 acres or less. The prop by my house is 700..... and all but useless..... didn't have a single deer on cam I wanted to kill.... I ran about 7 cams on the prop..... u need the rt chunk of land.....it doesn't matter if its 15 acres or 500......

Killed mine in a 7 acre woodlot. But I'm not surrounded by dipshits there.

Kaiser878

ohio
The property I killed my deer on this year was the best piece of property I've ever hunted from 2005-2008.... in 2009 the neighbors SIL started hunting his 1.2 acres. Which borders the best bedding area on the property. From 2009 to present he has wounded 9 bucks that I'm aware of.....

That property took a dive in 2009... badly..... he is the reason people lease land... IMO it would be worth it to pay the land owner $500 for his 1.5 acres just to keep him out of there. He's a moron.... he also wounded a deer the morning I killed mine... and tried to say I took his deer. When he claimed he hit a 6 pt. Which he never found. He and I had some words after the fact..... piece of shit..... hes a worthless Jackson cop...... and anyone that knows anything about Jackson cops..... they are worthless fucks

OK.... rants over. Sorry. I feel better

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
And then the next guy with more cash comes and now you loose the lease land you have worked so hard to get quality animals.

If it comes to leasing for me I will quit hunting deer. Pretty simple.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
And then the next guy with more cash comes and now you loose the lease land you have worked so hard to get quality animals.

Yup. Talked to guy at delaware last year that had that happen to him. Leased it for three years, had good animals there. Somebody else offered more money and he got the boot.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I kind of think that's a tad inaccurate. You don't work to get quality animals IMO. They're either there or they aren't. They exist or they don't. If you're leasing in an area where you actually have to work at trying to grow bucks you're leasing the wrong ground and fighting an uphill battle. Like kaiser said earlier. The place he was hunting was great for bucks but the guy moved in on the neighbors place and wounded a ton of them. The next thing you know the bucks dropped off. Those bucks just existed there. And if it wasn't for the guy wounding them left and right they would have continued existing there in good enough numbers that kaiser could have shot a pig a year and sustained that cycle.

Kaiser878

ohio
Most leases are given contract. Minimum of 3 years at a set price and with the opportunity to renew without being leased out from under. Most people I would be leasing off of don't care about the money.... they want rid of the headaches of ten diff guys hunting their property and arguing non stop. They get cash. One guy (me) runs the show.... i post the land for them and I patrol the land for them. Its a win win....

Last edited:

Kaiser878

ohio
I know of an area that was leased rt next to one of our leases. It was 800 acres. The guys hunting the surrounding ground threw a fit at first. This year they are starting to see the benefits. While they can't hunt the leased ground.... they are now seeing way more mature bucks spilling over into their land..... because the 800 acres next to it isn't being raped and pillaged any more.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Meh, getting a great functioning property takes work and patience.

Most leases I have seen do have an agreement for a set period and price. After that period many will have a right to maintain first but not at a set price. So after three years if the owner wants to raise the price you get first opportunity. That guarantees nothing if the latest pro staffer from Mossy Oak comes along and offers $100 more an acre than you currently pay.

With most leases that is.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Leasing here is feeding into it. Not much good comes out of that. We will be like the South soon enough with deer and turkey hunting.

I will not partake.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I deal in contracts for a living. I write them; read them; agree to them and sign them. If you sign a shit lease, that's on you. You can bet when I do lease, it will be one hell of a good lease. I have little compassion for people that enter in to piss poor contracts.