Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"'s Fishing Journey 2017

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, day one is in the books... Not a bad day as we took third but was hoping to do a little better as we had our limit in 45 minutes which is a good day but once the sun broke thru the clouds it was over for the most part... All the fish afterwards were barely legal or just under the limit which wouldn't help us....
Didn't lose any fish too beat ourselves so no complaints just wasn't on the big ones is all....

Hitting it again tomorrow but a completely different format... We're taking out high school kids to fish a tournament and we're just playing guides for them... They've been doing this for a couple years and I was asked if I'd like to join in on it and I had nothing going on too stop me so it'll be interesting to say the least.... Don't really know what too expect so we'll see what happens lol....

Stay tuned....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, it was a windy day too be out fishing on a boat lol.... Constant 13-15 mph wind outta the south west.... Didn't really do any good, I was teamed up with a young man in the 10th grade, being raised by a single mom and dad not in the picture.... Very polite young man and kudos too his mom for doing a good job so far.... He missed a couple of good ones on a spinner bait and caught a couple small fish but he got too run the boat most of the day until it was time to move with the big motor.... He seemed too be having a good time and he made all the calls with a little coaching from me lol.... Tried to get him to step away from his go too spinner bait but he'd go right back too it lol....
It was a lot of fun and I'll do it again next year as this was the last for this season..... All the kids involved had fun from the looks of it and like the competition immensely....
Made it home and got the boat covered and it rained about 20 minutes later so my timing on getting outta there was on spot lol....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks guys it was a fun day....

Spent today going over the trailers running gear checking brakes and wheel bearings and all seem to be ok... Left rear hub was a little warm and was concerned I might have a dragging brake or issue with a bearing... All looked good so don't really know why it was warmer too the touch then normal...

Pulled the plugs on the motor and regapped them and cleaned them up.... Long idle times (yesterday's lake was a no wake condition with the kids aboard) and they looked a little wet since I couldn't open it up and burn them off.... So after all that and a good greasing all the zerk fittings she should be good too go until fall.... Knock on wood....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well it's been a while, went out last Thursday and fished the Ohio river over in Monaca Pa as that's where our next tournament is at... Had a decent evening and caught fish bit left rear wheel on the trailer (which the rear wheels house the disc brakes for the trailer) was getting hot... Got home that evening and it was just as hot or hotter and got me too thinking the guides for the disc pads might be corroded up and needing some TLC....

Stuff got in the way of me ripping into it and I wasn't in a big hurry as I had t any plans on getting out over the holiday weekend as way too many idiots out wreaking havoc....
Monday I ripped it apart and everything looked good except for the piston was extremely tight too move.... out everything back together and went to bleed it and locked up again... Right side is free spinning with no pressure applied left side takes a lot of force to get it to move....

So I go online and order a caliper after talking with the manufacturer about part numbers and who they recommended to go thru...

Looked at the place they suggested and they were about 20.00 higher than a place in Massachusetts I found... Ordered it on line, got the receipt from PayPal and all was good...

Wednesday evening I checked to see if any shipping number had been put out yet with nothing showing... First thing this morning I called them... Yep they hadn't shipped it out yet.... Excuse was the holiday... Go figure... Guy apologized and shipped it out express and should be here Saturday.... Fingers crossed... lol

I probably should of checked it yesterday and called them on it then... Hind sight is always 20/20....

But on a good note.... I checked the calibration on my Keurig coffee maker and it's dead nuts on.... [emoji1360]

Fletch

Supporting Member
"J"..... Brakes on a boat trailer are always a PIA... Just be thankful your not using your trailer in salt water. Bearing's are always an issue. Usually I'll pack my own bearings but one year I had a trailer place do them. Couple months later I was towing the boat down the shore in the pouring rain and when arriving I stopped at a gas station to fuel up the boat. I look down and "OH SHIT". I'm missing a wheel !!!! Never felt or heard it snap off, only thing left was the spindle..

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J"..... Brakes on a boat trailer are always a PIA... Just be thankful your not using your trailer in salt water. Bearing's are always an issue. Usually I'll pack my own bearings but one year I had a trailer place do them. Couple months later I was towing the boat down the shore in the pouring rain and when arriving I stopped at a gas station to fuel up the boat. I look down and "OH SHIT". I'm missing a wheel !!!! Never felt or heard it snap off, only thing left was the spindle..

I run the bearing buddies on all 4 wheels, have for years and (knock on wood) haven't had an issue.... Every other trip I'll hit all 4 with a grease gun... Only issue I've had was the original drum brakes and the original surge brake actuator.... Switched that over when I did the disc brake upgrade and haven't had any issues and it's been almost 7 years now that they've been on if I remember right....

I've always heard saltwater horror stories and I'd never buy a boat I plan on only fresh water fishing with too ever be in saltwater.... Too many issues with equipment that already is prone too issues lol....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well got the new caliper installed (in between raindrops) and bled, wheel spins freely now so that wheel is fixed lol... The right side is free spinning as well so hopefully it'll last a little longer lol.... Total cost was 72.00 with shipping so it wasn't too bad at all... when I redid the brakes taking off he the old drums and retro fitting to discs it was like 225.00 for both so they have come down in price thank God...
Going to try a road trip too the lake sometime this week if this rain will hold off lol...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Headed out too a local lake that I frequent due to it being close and i usually have the lake too my self during the week...

As usual no one was there when I arrived about 0800.... Started fishing docks and missed two right off the bat.... Went another hour without a bite and then landed 3 within 5 casts... Biggest was 16" and smallest was about 12".... Not a great morning but great to enjoy the peace and quiet and actually smoked a cigar that was left over from Mingo lol...

Put the boat back on the trailer at 1130 and as I was pulling outta the parking lot my buddy Shawn called and wanted too know if I wanted to hit the river this evening.... Why not lol... So Guilford in the morning and the mighty Ohio this evening lol.... Man it's a rough life I lead lmao....

Hopefully the small mouth will cooperate this evening....