Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"'s 2016/17 Rabbit Adventures

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well figured I'd start one for the season as deer hunting is mostly done for me other than gun hunting....

Had the girls out yesterday and had 3 solid runs with multiple sightings but they seemed to be on the smaller side so they got a pass as I'm trying to get some population built up is some of the areas I'm hunting on.

Hit it again today and had some good runs as well, two runs with one a little over an hour and the other was close to a half hour....

I jumped both of the rabbits and they did the rest, again no shooting just enjoying the time with them.... One I jumped and it ran by Candy as she was hunched over going to the bathroom and she was just as shocked as the rabbit was !!!! lmao

#pinchitoffcandytheresworktobedone

lol.... Had some snow coming down and was pretty windy with a 14 degree windchill so I didn't want to over due it today, 2.5 today and 3 hours yesterday with solid runs, I take the quality over the quantity.....

Probably hit it again tomorrow for another couple hours and Saturday as well then give em a break until Tuesday unless we get that 18 degree weather they're talking about with the winds....

IMG_1890.jpg
This is Sarah, she'll be 7

IMG_1893.jpg
This is Candy who'll be 5

I can see a little difference in their running without Katie, I might be looking for something that's not there but they seem to be not working together like when Katie ran with them.... I don't know, when I'm out Saturday with my buddy Mike I'll ask him after we're done his opinion on it.... Ot might be just me overthinking something small but it just stood out today for some reason....

Candy it usually the jump dog but Sarah will take on the task as well just seems Candy is more likely to do it.... Once it's up Sarah takes the lead, Candy kept taking it today and it threw Sarah off of her game I think.... Like I said I might be over thinking it but the end result was they brought them around numerous times and I had a chance at multiple shots if I wanted too....

They might be going thru some growing pains going from a 3 pack to a 2 pack group.... We'll see how it progresses...

Bitches be crazy lol

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Good luck. Hope it all works out, buddy. Cant wait to see pictures

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I was just thinking it was time for you to start this thread J
Glad to see it!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I was just thinking it was time for you to start this thread J
Glad to see it!

I struggle with the updates as this is more of just running the dogs during season more then hunting lol.... The rabbit population is ok but not to the point of pulling the trigger every time I head out...
most of what I've been seeing so far are the young ones, haven't seen a mature one go by yet....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good stuff! I'm sure you're just missing Katie and your other dogs are doing just fine.

One thing Katie did bring to the mix was straightening the youngins out if they got a little fast and overran a trail. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good stuff! I'm sure you're just missing Katie and your other dogs are doing just fine.

One thing Katie did bring to the mix was straightening the youngins out if they got a little fast and overran a trail. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

Could be Mike, Katie did seem like the glue to the mix lol....

Gordo

Athens County
How is your better half??? Tell her I said hi....

She's being mean as shit the last 24 hours! Thanks for asking. lol. Good god man. Ha. She's got a root canal at 3:30, so I'm guessing it's not going to get better. Buckle up!

Your one of the TOOzers she asks about and I keep her posted. She gets a kick out of the 'nothing about nothing' posts you kick out and likes hearing about the dogs.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
She's being mean as shit the last 24 hours! Thanks for asking. lol. Good god man. Ha. She's got a root canal at 3:30, so I'm guessing it's not going to get better. Buckle up!

Your one of the TOOzers she asks about and I keep her posted. She gets a kick out of the 'nothing about nothing' posts you kick out and likes hearing about the dogs.

Well tell her the old guy wishes her well on her upcoming root canal.... The shots are the worst of it lmao....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Made it out Saturday with my buddy Mike and he's not a nimble as he used to be so when i go out with him it's usually to a place with good access and flat land. We went to a place I deer hunt and hunted a thick area that's referred too as the dump, I hesitate hunting it as it's a decent bedding area for deer when crops are close by but they're all down so we tried it. I haven't rabbit hunted this farm in 15 years so I didn't know what to expect and I have seen them going too and from tree stands before day light and after dark. I walked up on a couple of dirt mounds so I could see the entire bottom which is approx 100 yards across and 170 yards long. Thick with scrub saplings and thorns throughout the whole area with very little openings too it, tons of rubs throughout it but didn't see any deer bust out the whole time we were there. Dropped the tail gate and let the girls out so they could do their rituals and then took them about to a few thickets that I felt would hold some bunnies, it was cold and windy and they busted one out right off the bat, it ran into another thicket and they made their way over too it, my buddy positioned himself between the thicket and the dump on the lane that leads too the fields. Two rabbits busted out and Mike dropped the biggest one. He got his fix lol, he was ready to go home lol.... We let the girls work the second rabbit and they ran it to the bottom and and around it for the better part of a half hour. As long as they stayed low out of the wind they ran it good and stayed relatively close to it as it wasn't in a hurry at all. Once it came up too the top and across the lane again heading to the thickets above the girls would hit the open area and the wind would hit them and they would struggle some until they got to the thickets and the game on.....
We ended up the day with close to 8 runs and at times saw one or two more rabbits then what was being chased. Very good spot, plenty of cover and out of the wind, could use da couple shooting lanes thru it but I'll use it more for them getting exercise then hunting lol.... We were there for about 3 hours then we called it quits, they ran just about the entire time we were there and lots of good runs with plenty of sightings.... Most of the time they would go by within 15-20 feet but it would be too thick to get a shot. I didn't take any but they got to the one that Mike shot and got their nose full of it for their fix lol.....

This is an arial of the spot, the lane on top leads to the fields, the thickets about it is where the girls started the day....
The lane at the bottom goes to a drill pad and surprisingly the rabbits never crossed that one as there's thickets up there as well...

IMG_1908.jpg

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
good rabbit chases are a blast. sounds like a darn fine day of bunny runnin'. one time back in the day, I missed the same rabbit three times with a bow. kept running in the same loop, and I missed it every time it came hopping past me at 10 yards. I didn't feel too bad since the other four guys missed it at least twice each, too. that rabbit had four lucky feet. lmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
good rabbit chases are a blast. sounds like a darn fine day of bunny runnin'. one time back in the day, I missed the same rabbit three times with a bow. kept running in the same loop, and I missed it every time it came hopping past me at 10 yards. I didn't feel too bad since the other four guys missed it at least twice each, too. that rabbit had four lucky feet. lmao

When we first started out rabbit hunting and owning our first beagle, he was a male and was the quirkiest mofo I'd ever seen.... he would bring a rabbit around twice, if you did t shoot or shot and missed, he quit..
He'd stop and sit by either my buddy or me... Too this day I've never seen it since.... he got on a rabbit one time, chased it into a brush pile and came out tangling with a coon.... coon won for the most part lmao.... rabbit skirted out during the ruckus lol....

Jamie

Ohio
that's the same shit Lefty does to me. if I don't get there and make a squirrel fall out of the sky onto his head fast enough to suit him, he'll just wander off the tree. "quirky" doesn't quite cover it...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
that's the same shit Lefty does to me. if I don't get there and make a squirrel fall out of the sky onto his head fast enough to suit him, he'll just wander off the tree. "quirky" doesn't quite cover it...

I initially thought it was just a pup thing but it never wore off.... Back in those days we didn't usually let them get by twice so it wasn't a regular thing but if it happened we pretty much knew that one got a pass.... lol