Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's on... Rut stories

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Saw 9 deer tonight, the best day on stand this year... 2 doe were running laps around the swamp I was looking out over and they did it for like 10 minutes non stop... I was wondering the heck is going on nothing chasing them then they vanished and about 10 minutes later a buck was hot on their trail trying too find them.... watched him for a half hour trying too work their scent trail.... saw three bucks total with their nosed too the ground and 6 doe total in this wind we had made me feel good.... two of the doe were in range for a shot and let them walk, one was bigger than the one I got earlier this month..... So back at in the morning same stand too see if what is moving through my curiosity is peaked about this now.... :smiley_crocodile:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds good J! Get after them to you and all the guys seeing movement in SE Ohio too!

I think the rut came, hit hard for about 3 days and left. Does are back in their little herds and the young bucks are the only thing I have seen cruising lately. Not sure how it could have been such a short rut, but maybe I will see some action on Saturday. Tomorrow is shot for trying to get in any hunting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My slightly renewed enthusiasm is all but gone. Set a new farm this morning with high hopes. I pull in and of course, one of the dudes from WV in there. I listened to him blow his grunt call and turn his bleat can all morning until I turned to see him walking the CRP behind me, hacking up a lung the entire time. Same dude did the same thing to me two years ago.

I saw one scrub buck before the dumbass wondered through, then saw two does together and a 120" 2.5 8 about 30 minutes later. The 8 when to where the does crossed the creek and checked their trail, the turned 90 degrees and walked away from them. WTF?!?

I pulled my set at 11 and just pulled into the farm. It's pointless to be in the woods because obviously there is a force field around me that is fucking up my entire year. But I could use a good nap and the Millenniums are perfect for that. FML...

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I saw 5 does and a busted up 2.5yo 8 pt that only had main beams and a brow tine left yesterday afternoon down in SE OH. Of course he gave me a 10 yard shot, but I am still waiting for the winner of the fight he was in. There were lots of new rubs in the area I sat in. The wind was crazy. I hope it calms down for Saturday.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Jesse get yer ass back out there :pickle:
Aint no jinx
Aint no force field
Aint no chance if'n ya aint in the field
Aint no reason to be discouraged

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The buck I shot was more interested in the doe watching me than anything.
Also, before him a doe had walked out above me. About 10 minutes later a target buck was on his way to me. He caught her trail and bird dogged it where she went.

She screwed me out of a target buck. But, the doe below me brought in the one I shot. Best rut activity I saw this year was today.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
The woods were completely silent until 9:30, when I had a small six point come through chasing a doe. She wanted nothing to do with him and was snorting and carrying on at him. Kinda funny to watch. She disappeared up the hill behind me, and he made two scrapes in the creek bottom, then continued on his search for deer poon. I had just sat down not 20 minutes later and heard a doe bleat on the hill behind me. Here came five does in a group, working that hillside. They went up and down the hill, to the end of the ridge, then started working back. I noticed they were acting like there was a buck in the mix, but I couldn't see antlers from where I was. That's when I heard him roar followed by a few loud grunts. I could tell it was a big buck, and I had my fingers crossed it was Big E. A few minutes passe by, and there he appeared, 100 yards up the hill from me. I grunted hard back at him with no response, as he and the does disappeared over the ridge. Didn't see a single deer until 9:30, then saw eight by 11:00.

I moved my stand about 125 yards down the creek bottom to a good crossing in the direction they headed. I'm going back out here in 5 minutes, hoping they come through just before dark, with Big E in tow.

epe

Lancaster
Was out back of dads, starting the smoker and putting it in the blind with my clothes. Come out and think I hear a grunt... Down in the neighbors yard there is a buck chasing a doe.. Maybe I should sleep in and hunt on top of dad's shed. ;)

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I haven't seen any rut action here since the first weekend of Nov. It came and went faster than I ever think it did before.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Dad's back in his same stand that he hit one out of 2 days ago, we'll see what happens. Hopefully some guns goin off can send some deer his way

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just had nice sized 6 pointer chasing a doe hard. She had him running and circles and he was grunting away. Had Klay up and ready but couldn't get him stopped. He looked like one of those ducks in one of the games at the fair that you have to shoot. He kept going back and forth. Impossible shot...

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I have a thumb up my ass and no deer. Does that count for anything?

I would rather have that than strep throat! Woke up yesterday morning and couldn't swollow. Went to the dr and said strep. Decided to sit today out and try and get better. I sure in the hell don't want to be sick over my holiday break and gun season. I'm sure one of the 200 kids I see everyday infected me with this stuff.