Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It finally happened to me...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sorry to hear about this Marcus. It sucks, but what can a guy do? Dan's suggestion seems as good an approach as there is to take.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Hate to hear it Marcus. But I feel your pain, it's happened to us twice in 5 years. Both were very nice chunk of ground. We're only able to hunt about 80 acres now, all straight up a hill side. I hope you can find another piece man÷

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
It's a bad feeling as most on here know. I've lost more prime ground than I care to say. We ended up buying our own land. It's a heavy hit on the pocket book but we are guaranteed a place to hunt. I hope all works out for you and you come up with an even better property to hunt.

lung buster

hocking county
Sorry to hear. It is happening all the time it seems. I'm barely holding on to ground that I've hunted my entire life by a thread it seems! I try to cherish each hunt on a couple of properties because I know it's coming.....

doublej

Sorry to hear that, sounds like you had a lot of time and effort invested in that place. Got to be thankful for the time you did get to hunt it and hopefully you'll get some place even better

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That sucks man. Happens all the time though. I try to go into every season securing the ground I've had permission on plus gaining at least one or two new spots. It doesn't always work out that way, but that's my goal. Hope you and your Dad can score a few new spots.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I can say that I understand because I have lost two wonderful properties that I had permission to hunt. I love those places where I "cut my teeth" (so to speak) on deer hunting. They now live in my memory.

I'll say this: Continue to honor your relationship with the landowner. Yeah, it stings, but the land is his, and you seem to have the right attitude that it was a priviledge to hunt there for 8 years. The memories can never be taken away. He's still a good guy and if you're his friends then you should continue with the soup and the sweetcorn and the friendship and fellowship. If you treat him better than his family does, you might end up in his favor again. And even if you don't get to hunt there again, I'd say that 8 years of prime land and a lifetime of memories deserve to be honored. It's the right thing to do.

Trust me on this one. 1) I continued doing firewood for one old guy even after hunting there became untenable because of other people. His neighbor was helping me offload some wood and we got to talking, and I ended up with permission next door to 700 acres of prime land I still enjoy today. 2) One fella that threw everyone off called me up two years later and apologized and offered to let me hunt again.

It comes back around, trust me. Good luck.

Funny you mention this. Dad and I talked and we already planned to keep sending the corn and soups. When the right time presents itself, we will be ready to talk to him. Until then, we will give him no reason not to reconsider. Some good advice Dan.