Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iowa_Buckeyes 2016

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
An update on the growth of the initial 3 bucks I posted, and a few other of the good ones that have shown back up.

One is farther behind than the others on growth (the 10 looking right into the cam), but he doesn't shed till mid/late April! We've seen him still carrying during turkey season the past 2 years.

IMG_3819.JPGIMG_3822.JPGIMG_3830.jpgIMG_3829.jpgIMG_3831.jpgIMG_3832.jpg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Studs! It's interesting how some bucks can be almost finished by late June and others are just taking off. I wonder if that has anything with their birth being earlier or later in the spring.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I'm not sure what dictates shedding/growing new antlers. The 10 sheds real late and seems to grow late, while the one with the flyer has shed late November/first week of December the past 2 years and grows really early. Some say stress, but this is the same farm with the same food, cover, etc. Maybe some rut harder than the others?? Who knows.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah, lots of variables plus their bodies are adjusting constantly with whatever is thrown at them like injuries or weather related issues. I also think when they were born has got to have some bearing on when the shed! For an example I would find it hard to believe that a buck fawn dropped in April will grow and cast antlers the same time a buck fawn that was dropped in September. That's just my opinion though...

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Update on growth.
They are coming along nicely!
It is interesting to see how their summer patterns change once the velvet starts peeling. Most of the good bucks are basically in a group in the same area (same cam locations every summer), and it is mostly does on cams in other areas. Seems the bucks prefer the more open areas/fields and sparse cover along the fence lines during the summer, then spread out to their 'own' areas in Sept/Oct. The deer we have a few years of history with seem to consistently hang in the same fall/summer areas year after year.
We still have a few yet to show which we are really interested in seeing.

IMG_3857.JPGIMG_3856.JPGIMG_3859.JPGIMG_3860.jpgIMG_3863.JPGIMG_3867.jpgIMG_3871.JPGIMG_3918.jpg

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
He has a small G4 on his left side. it is the same buck in the the first set of pics (2nd pic). He is 5 this year and was a 10 point with small G4s the past 2 years. We found his sheds last year and he went 158'ish considering his assumed spread. He looks a bit longer this year so hope he breaks 160.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Checked a couple cams while at the farm this morning.
Looks like the one with the flyer is about done growing. We're guessing him in the low/mid 180s. Hopefully we find out in October!!

IMG_0025.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0046.jpgIMG_0047.jpgIMG_0054.jpgIMG_0057.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0276.jpg