Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iowa

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If I remember right someone on too had posted a pole being rubbed on....
I did. But Tapatalk won't let me upload the pic. One of the farms I hunt has a gas well road with 6-7 poles running along it. All of them were rubbed last November.

Fletch

Supporting Member
We just put this telephone pole up last Aug. and they were rubbing it in Nov.

Fletch

Supporting Member

Rub in the same woodlot... That's not a cedar, but a small hickory tree... Someone was showing off.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I did. But Tapatalk won't let me upload the pic. One of the farms I hunt has a gas well road with 6-7 poles running along it. All of them were rubbed last November.
I am posting these for Chad.

Attachments

• IMG_20151106_110644052.jpg
    IMG_20151106_110644052.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20151106_111403598.jpg
    IMG_20151106_111403598.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 92

Bigcountry40

I'am being really lazy and could research for my answer, What is the deer population in Iowa compared to Ohio? From the pics of sheds and signs being used as rubbing trees, I am going to assume it is quite a bit higher.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'am being really lazy and could research for my answer, What is the deer population in Iowa compared to Ohio? From the pics of sheds and signs being used as rubbing trees, I am going to assume it is quite a bit higher.

This would depend on who you talk to. Deer populations vary in every state. And to take that one step further, they vary in each area of the state. EHD hit hard in some mid-western states several years ago. But it hit harder in some areas of a state than other areas of the same state. I have hunted Iowa three times and each time seen a fair amount of deer each outing. Once was with an outfitter and twice was DIY hunts on private land. Were we over-run with deer everyday???? NO.. Like anywhere else it's hunting. One big misconception about Iowa and Illinois is that there are GIANT'S behind every tree. Not a chance. But odds are great that with the snap of a twig, you could turn around and be eye ball to eye ball with a booner. So it keeps your anticipation high. But Ohio ranks right up there and produces GIANT'S every year. More than you ever hear about. So is the grass greener in Iowa than Ohio... One thing for sure I get an awfull lot of book's that have stories about Ohio Giant's. Just got a North American Whitetail magazine that on the cover is Ohio's Coffman Buck!!! You be the judge... Hope this helps...

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
This would depend on who you talk to. Deer populations vary in every state. And to take that one step further, they vary in each area of the state. EHD hit hard in some mid-western states several years ago. But it hit harder in some areas of a state than other areas of the same state. I have hunted Iowa three times and each time seen a fair amount of deer each outing. Once was with an outfitter and twice was DIY hunts on private land. Were we over-run with deer everyday???? NO.. Like anywhere else it's hunting. One big misconception about Iowa and Illinois is that there are GIANT'S behind every tree. Not a chance. But odds are great that with the snap of a twig, you could turn around and be eye ball to eye ball with a booner. So it keeps your anticipation high. But Ohio ranks right up there and produces GIANT'S every year. More than you ever hear about. So is the grass greener in Iowa than Ohio... One thing for sure I get an awfull lot of book's that have stories about Ohio Giant's. Just got a North American Whitetail magazine that on the cover is Ohio's Coffman Buck!!! You be the judge... Hope this helps...
I agree, but I will add...I think that there's a lot more wide open crop fields, CRP and large tracts of timber in Iowa. In the SE part of the state where is was. Most of the roads were in square miles and the farms and or dwellings were few and far between. Large privately owned farms with less pressure, sure helps those bucks get older.
Great genetics, fertile farm land and crops and low hunting pressure surely makes it hard to beat!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I agree, but I will add...I think that there's a lot more wide open crop fields, CRP and large tracts of timber in Iowa. In the SE part of the state where is was. Most of the roads were in square miles and the farms and or dwellings were few and far between. Large privately owned farms with less pressure, sure helps those bucks get older.
Great genetics, fertile farm land and crops and low hunting pressure surely makes it hard to beat!
That's what really helps. Those farms out there aren't 200-300 acre farms like we have around here. Probably alot of places for them to hide out there.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I will also add: that this 13,000 acres of privately owned and leased land, this farmer only leases to 20-25 hunters per year. He told us that all but one Hunter tagged out. The only person that didn't, had multiple opportunities, but passed in hopes for a booner. The smallest buck scored 146 supposedly? After seeing his wall and piles of shed antlers, I have no reason to doubt him. Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I will also add: that this 13,000 acres of privately owned and leased land, this farmer only leases to 20-25 hunters per year. He told us that all but one Hunter tagged out. The only person that didn't, had multiple opportunities, but passed in hopes for a booner. The smallest buck scored 146 supposedly? After seeing his wall and piles of shed antlers, I have no reason to doubt him. Lol
I'd mess myself if I had the opportunity to hunt that much land out there.