Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Injuries and antlers

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Question for those more educated than me. I have pictures of a deer which injured his left eye, forehead, and pedicle this spring. He has turned into a stud! He has a split or double main beam on the left side now. He is a mature deer and for this reason alone he is a worthy target. He is old, big bodied, has crazy mass, and is unique. Probably won't score anything crazy due to the funky rack, but I am fine with this. Probably still bigger than anything I have on the wall, but won't score as the huge typical he would have been if not for the injury.

My question is in regards to next year's growth. Typically it seems the opposite side antler is affected on an injured deer. I am curious if you guys think he might go back to a typical deer next year or if the opposite side might get funky next year? I just don't know. Seems I asked this question on here once before, but I couldn't find my question so I am starting another thread.

Here are the early season pictures of him. You can sort of see the injury to the left eye and top of his head I think.

Attachments

• April 29 5-6inch black eye guy0001.jpg
    April 29 5-6inch black eye guy0001.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 244
  • April 29 5-6inch growth splitting0001.jpg
    April 29 5-6inch growth splitting0001.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IM000059 May 9 stud.jpg
    IM000059 May 9 stud.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IM000185 May 16 stud.jpg
    IM000185 May 16 stud.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IM000290 May 23 stud.jpg
    IM000290 May 23 stud.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 217

rossbows

From what I have seen in the past if they injured there skull or horn base they never grow right again. Normally they grow some wicked stuff. I hope you get a wack at him.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
From what I have seen in the past if they injured there skull or horn base they never grow right again. Normally they grow some wicked stuff. I hope you get a wack at him.

It's really hard to guess what will happen. For some bucks, it'll never be right again... for others, you won't even notice anything happened. A 2 yr old at my buddies deer farm broke an antler off this spring, splitting right into the pedicle and skull. We both thought he was screwed. Surprisingly, the beam came right back and now you wouldn't even be able to guess he had an injury.

A lot of what I have read says if the injury is on the rear half of the deer it usually affects the opposite side antler. If the injury is on the front half then the same side antler can be affected. With the injury being to the deer's eye and pedicle I would say that same side would continue to be affected for years to come.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nobodies after your lucky charms... sheesh..

Sorry Jack. Call me paranoid. I had him in the binos last hunt for over an hour. Just needed another 30yds to make my window. I just don't want to post up any pics until I have one in my hands. Enough problems with trespassers.