Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Indiana Worried over CWD...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well they seem spooked.

If it’s so devastating, why are these deer farms still transporting deer? I can’t imagine the deer farm industry is so powerful they have the right politicians on the payroll. Maybe I’m naive.

Jamie

Ohio
we should all be spooked. the only way this takes root in Ohio anytime soon is from transporting infected captive deer into Ohio, but deer farming is barely regulated and is under the purview of the Dept. of Agriculture (bureaucratic farmers) not biologists and researchers at the DOW. unless deer farming is seriously regulated or stopped all together, it is not a matter of if, but when. states have to be proactive in keeping CWD from getting started to stand a chance. the reactive position is little more than watching the deer herd get decimated and testing dead deer brains for infection. history has shown that money wins over wildlife most of the time, so deer lovers everywhere should be concerned.

Reactions: Bowkills and giles

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well they seem spooked.

If it’s so devastating, why are these deer farms still transporting deer? I can’t imagine the deer farm industry is so powerful they have the right politicians on the payroll. Maybe I’m naive.

Because agriculture rules Ohio bud. They have a shitload of politicians on the payroll. Remember a couple years ago when they got rid of early muzzleloader and brought back bonus gun. About 30 state politicians signed a letter to the DNR and got the wildlife counsel to hold an out of schedule meeting because those politicians wanted both seasons. They claimed they did it for hunters so that we could expand opportunity. Now, when was the last time 30 politicians voluntarily jumped in some hunting issue on behalf of their constituents with such fire? It was nothing more than the farm lobby rallying the troops to expedite the herd reduction. Hell the early muzzy season was a vision of the farm loby and farmers insurance, and they got it for a short time. If they can do that for a stupid two day gun season imagine the crap it would start if someone tried banning the movement of these farm deer.

Reactions: brock ratcliff