Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iks!!!!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
First part of my story: the fuck ups, incompetence, and lots of fun chasing big deer lol... these are just some random tidbits that stick out in my mind

I put on countless stalks and got in range of a ton of deer big and small. I got myself to THREE YARDS from this giant 3x3 and couldn't get a shot because he was bedded down surrounded by little guys who ended up busting me after thirty minutes waiting for him to stand

(Can't get pic to upload, workin on it IT WONT LET ME UPLOAD SCREENSHOTS, ANY IDEAS?)

Here's some other bucks I snuck up on

(Dammit Tapatalk)

Then, driving across the mesa I saw another group of big bucks and I hopped out of the ATV while we were behind a hill and my dad kept driving so they had no idea. I stalked a few hundred yards to where I thought they were headed and paused to look through my binos at one other spot they might have gone. I put down my binos and the biggest damn deer I've ever seen had stepped into range and busted me. A few seconds different timing and I would have had an absolute giant but that's what bow hunting is all about. Here's the man for next years hunt:

IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG

After all these close encounters and no shots, fifty miles of stalking and hiking, it was my last hunt. My dad stayed back to spend some time with my uncle so I went flying up the road towards the mesa on the ATV. A few hundred yards from the house I caught a glimpse of grey through the trees. Judging by the size and color of it I figured it had to be a decent bucks because most of the does and smaller bucks have more of an orangish tint. I went well past them in the ATV, gradually slowed down and shut it off so it just sounded like I had disappeared. I had pinpointed about where they were and I got myself to fifty yards through thick trees walking as quietly as I could. However, a decent 2x2 was staring me down through the thick brush and his buddy had already busted a little bit to the left past some trees. Both of them were in a tiny thin meadow that ran along the side hill and I was up above them. I tried sneaking towards him every time there was a clap of thunder or wind gust but I could tell that was just spooking them and making them nervous. I realized my camo was for the mesa so it was way to light for these trees and I could probably pass for a deer if I tried hard enough so I went for it. At this point there was fifty yards of deer trail straight downhill to the meadow and they were fifty yards to the left of that at the far end of the meadow with thick scrub oak trees between us. I stutter stepped very loudly on my tiptoes like deer do when they are trying to get whatever spooked them to move and I made it the whole damn way to the meadow and calmed them both down [emoji23]. They were both staring at me completely confused and at this point I could see the other buck was super high racked and narrow and definitely a shooter at this point.

The meadow:
IMG_1285.jpg

He had is ass towards me at 50 yards so I started shuffling back and forth with my deer steps until he got curious enough and turned broad side. At this point my head was no longer conscious and I had drawn and shot before I even realized (thus the awful shot, I can make baseball sized groups at 80 yards if I actually settle the damn pin). I heard a dull thud and him and his buddy sprinted directly away from me with one cutting hard downhill to the right after about 30 yards. I dropped my bow to mark the shot and grabbed a stick to mark the trail and sprinted out to get home. According to my dad I returned with a "shit eating grin" less than ten minutes after I had left. We went back to check the arrow after about 30 minutes because there was a huge thunderstorm coming.

IMG_1289.jpg

Surprisingly enough the arrow looked great so we decided to press on. Just then my uncles husky broke out of his humvee, sprinted past us, and made a b line straight down the trail the deer had taken, took a hard right and stopped with this view as I ran behind him.

IMG_1390.JPG

Apparently poorly trained huskies that don't know a single command are useful after all lol. We gutted the deer and got it winched up in the humvee

IMG_1353.JPG

And it being gods country we got a nice double rainbow to add a little bit of gay and jolly to all the deer butchering lol...

IMG_1364.JPG

Last edited: