Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Iis it TOO late TOO start Mock scrapes an use scrape drippers?POLL

Is it to late in the season to get any use out of Mock scrapes an scrap dripper

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I put a couple up yesterday. But the one behind me fell off the tree while I was sitting up in the stand... :smiley_boos:

Lundy

I find active scrapes into late December in Athens county every year.

In years when a large number of the yearling does come into estrus in late December there is extremely intense rutting activity. I see some of that activity every year but some years are fantastic. If you read the PA studies the determining factor of if a 6 month old doe comes into estrus has to do with the years available food supply and body weight. Good years, bunches of 6 months does in estrus in December, bad years not as many. These 6 month old does that are bred are the ones with the really small late born fawns that you see the next fall, many still with spots at the beginning of bow season.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I just freshened my two primary mock scrapes on Monday. Both have been active since I started them in late September. IMO, this weekend is the time to start them if you haven't.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I use existing scrapes to take inventory of what is in the area. I have 6 of 8 cams now on scrapes. I do not hunt over them. I am yet to hear anyone say " I found a good scrape and sat on it and killed a big buck." I think they provide a great spot to put a camera and give you an idea to throw in your plan when selecting a stand site.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I dont think its impossible. I have seen smaller bucks work one over during the day. I bet if someone was in the right place at the right time a good buck could come through checking scrapes.

Buckmaster

Portage
Most deer are hitting scrapes after dark with these warm temps. Things should begin to change next week after the cold front arrives.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I use existing scrapes to take inventory of what is in the area. I have 6 of 8 cams now on scrapes. I do not hunt over them. I am yet to hear anyone say " I found a good scrape and sat on it and killed a big buck." I think they provide a great spot to put a camera and give you an idea to throw in your plan when selecting a stand site.

IMO, the more mature bucks usually hit scrapes just before sun up or sun down and anytime under the darkness. They also are more prone to scent check the scrapes instead of walking right up and working it. I feel it's best to hang a stand 40-60 yards downwind of a primary scrape than within 20 yards or closer. I can't begin to count how many times I busted a big bodied deer in the dark near a well used scrape when shooting light was just 30 minutes away in the early morning. Man, that sure is frustrating!

I agree with Jesse, this next few days is prime time to mock a scrape or hunt in the vicinity of one but just be prepared to get busted if you try and sneak into a stand near one in the early morning darkness. Lol