Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If you could; what would you do,,,

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Now that the 2011-2012 deer season is nearly over and if you had the chance to do it all over again, knowing what you know now, would you do anything different in getting your buck?

Me personally, I wished I would have hunted that big 5X5 harder during early bow season. I let other nice bucks pass because I wanted to take that particular buck and I didn’t succeed. It seems to rub me the wrong way still today. Hope he makes it through TOO next season. I’d like TOO have another crack at him that’s for sure.

saddlepants

central Ohio
YES. #1 id have a trail cam set up. #2 As soon as the very first time I saw that one buck making rubs and scrapes I woulda moved my spot and not waited a few days. #3 I will use binos more and pay more attention to the distance during early bow. #4 I will scout more in summer. #5 I will save more money set aside for bait...It worked well...I just didnt, lol

lung buster

hocking county
I wouldn't change anything. The biggest buck I had pics of was a dandy 10 pointer. A definite shooter. My son wanted him for his first deer and I told him if I seen him during the rut that I was going to shoot it. I figured with the pressure we have that somebody would get the buck before youth season. My son was not happy about that and I told him that I would not kill "His" deer. The morning that I got my buck the 10 pointer came by me @ 30 yds and I never raised my bow. A neighbor from out of town killed my sons target 2 days later. That's hunting and I would do the same thing next year and the years to come. Even though we never got that 10 pointer, that buck was the deer that got my son pumped up and kept him awake at night. It all worked out in the end and I got a deer that I was totally happy with and my son got a beautiful 4 point for his first!

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
saved my time and hunted later in November. Next year I plan to take a 4 day weekend the first weekend in November and a 3 day weekend the 2nd week in November. This year I took halloween weekend off and the 1st weekend in November. I will push that back next year. I'll still hunt halloween weekend but tag on a Fr/Mon on the first 2 weekends of Nov to maximize my time.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I would have passed my buck, and waited it out..I feel like i couldve had another shot at bigger buck. Also, I would have hunted more with dad and spent more time scouting new spots.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
YES. #1 id have a trail cam set up. #2 As soon as the very first time I saw that one buck making rubs and scrapes I woulda moved my spot and not waited a few days. #3 I will use binos more and pay more attention to the distance during early bow. #4 I will scout more in summer. #5 I will save more money set aside for bait...It worked well...I just didnt, lol

Those are good examples. Reflecting back, learning what you did or didn’t do is a good thing regardless of the outcome. Others may benefit from your sharing. Thanks.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd have not been a chicken shit and hunted the stand I knew I should have been in despite the "iffy" wind. Pussy...

Kaiser878

ohio
THis year I can honestly say I wouldn't have changed a thing. There was more luck involved this year than any other with any other buck I have killed. The intel was there about the draw I killed him in, but I went in there on a whim and with a little luck it payed off. I saved the spot and didnt put in any cameras...I dove in head first the end of October...I got lucky and picked the right night.....Ill take being lucky over good anyday.....

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Nothing I really could have changed, I'm pretty happy that I did everything I could I think....
and the season is NOT over.

Buckmaster

Portage
I would have passed on bucks until my ideals arrive under my stand. Oh, wait, I'm still passing. Looks like Buck Tag soup this year.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Nothing I really could have changed, I'm pretty happy that I did everything I could I think....
and the season is NOT over.

Yes; you are absolutely right. 26 days and counting however, perhaps some might care to share some learned hunting experiences from their season. Some participation could possibly be beneficial for others that are still at it. Regardless, there is no intent of discrimination here. Who's done or not. I applaud those that are still at it. Their determination and perseverance is commendable. I wish them all the best of luck!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I wouldn't have changed a thing. I hunted about every time I wanted to and a few I didn't. Didn't see as many deer as I'd have liked, but that wasn't my fault - and I know that. Next year, I may spend a little more time squirrel hunting...but I say that every year.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Would have taken more trips outta town to hunt. Due to work, family and other things I decided to stay local to hunt this year as I have always had ample opportunities.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I am not sure if I would change anything or not. I was first thinking I would have drawn on the buck and shot through the limbs on the Sat. morning of youth gun, but once I really thought about it that might have resulted in a bad shot and injurying the buck and never recovering the deer. I would much rather have the memory of the encounter of the buck thatn to have the memory of wounding him and not finding him.

So I don't think I would change anything.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have seen shooters. I have had 3 within 50yds. I just haven't gotten the shot opportunity I need. Now the shooters have vanished. I will keep looking and slide back in a stand when I locate them. Can't complain. Just haven't had the "luck factor" I need. That is part of hunting. I have been in the right places. I just haven't been able to seal the deal. If anything, I might have mixed up my hunting locations a bit more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I wish I wouldn't have gotten buck fever when those two swamp donkeys came through. Never saw them again. :tantrum:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Shoulda, woulda, coulda...I try not to sit around and think about the "what if's," because for me, there are way to many. However, if there was one thing I could change this year, it would have been to at least draw on Big E. when he was standing 25 yards away at the bottom of the hill below me. I probably still wouldn't have shot, as there weren't many openings below me, but at least looking through my peep, I would have had an idea if I could have snaked an arrow through there.

One thing I always wish I would have done EVERY year is try more new spots. I always find spots in the spring that I make a mental note to hunt in the fall, but I always end up staying close to where I've always had good luck. Maybe next year, lol...