Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ice Packs for Coolers

Ok. I know I posted looking for a propane refrigerator, but now I am wondering if I should get some good ice packs for 1 of my RTIC coolers, so that it would keep meat, eggs, lunch meat, etc better without getting water logged. Been reading about the Artic Ice Packs that can actually keep stuff frozen. Does anyone use any type of ice packs?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I like to use a HUGE cooler and put a small tote inside it. Keeps the food and ice separate. The meat, eggs ect ect does not get water logged in the tote. Keep drinks in separate cooler so food cooler is not opened as often.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We kept meat and what ever on top and frozed milk jugs of water on the bottom.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Large frozen jugs of water... Like ice tea jugs or sports drink bottles. I prefer these over milk jugs because the plastic is much thicker and more durable.

Just 1 More

Ok. I know I posted looking for a propane refrigerator, but now I am wondering if I should get some good ice packs for 1 of my RTIC coolers, so that it would keep meat, eggs, lunch meat, etc better without getting water logged. Been reading about the Artic Ice Packs that can actually keep stuff frozen. Does anyone use any type of ice packs?

Yes, they work great and are worth the money. We have both the Yeti and Rtic ice packs. Also some Artic Ice Gel packs. We use them on the boat so we don't have the weight of so much bulk ice, when making big offshore runs, 200+ mile round trips, weight matters.
They are made to fit the bottom of most coolers and take up less space than frozen jugs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Large frozen jugs of water... Like ice tea jugs or sports drink bottles. I prefer these over milk jugs because the plastic is much thicker and more durable.
2 or 3 two liter pop bottles of frozen water is my go to.

Another thing to do is make sure everything you put in the cooler is already cold. It takes 10lbs of ice to cool a 12 pack of beer from room temp to ice cold. That means if you buy a 12 pack of beer and a 22lb bag of ice, half of the ice will be used just to get the beer cold leaving only half to keep it cold. This does not take in to account the thermal transfer required to initially cool the cooler also. Pre cool the beer, soda, or water the night before.