Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I love deer hunting

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I love it. Now that I'm into my sixth season, I'm sure I still have no clue as to what I'm doing. For me it's a very humbling sport. I think all of the deer I've harvested over the years were just dumb luck. I've never been able to pattern a deer. I try to apply what I've learned and it never works out the way it's supposed to, but I still love deer hunting.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ive never been able to pattern a specific deer either, ever. I find where they come through once in a while, but I have NEVER known for sure that a certain deer will through at a certain time. I don't think anyone else can either! All part of the fun I guess.

Diablo54

Outside
I do not believe any one can actually pattern a deer. They are too wishy washy to be patterned. With that said you can learn the terrain and observe how they use it. With that you can position yourself in the correct spots for future movement.

Last edited:

rsmith

Ive never been able to pattern a specific deer either, ever. I find where they come through once in a while, but I have NEVER known for sure that a certain deer will through at a certain time. I don't think anyone else can either! All part of the fun I guess.

It is all part of the fun. Is it frustrating to have them come in in the summer and early season than all of a sudden just break that habit but that's what it's all about I guess is one step ahead of them or trying to be at least. It is nice to just get out and enjoy nature though

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The only way to pattern a deer is to manipulate him IMO. I've been trying my damnedest for 10 years to pattern one and the fact of the matter is what Taylor said is the truth. They are too wishy washy for that nonsense.

I'm not as in love with deer hunting as I once was, but I do love being in the woods.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There are so many aspects of deer hunting to enjoy. Some just cannot comprehend that. Therefore, I don't worry about trying to pattern a specific deer too badly. I wouldn't be good at it anyhow.

Last edited:

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I learn something new every time I encounter a deer and I hope that continues until I'm too old to do it anymore.

I'm not going to try to pattern the one I'm after this year. I will just be in the woods as much as possible hoping for an encounter with him. If a bigger one comes along first- even better!

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I have never been able to pattern deer. Hell half the time I have a hard time figuring out what I am doing. I love being in the woods. I love watching all aspects of nature. I love the anticipation of what might be. Therefore I still love hunting.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Don't feel so bad Mike. For someone to honestly say that they have 100% patterned a mature whitetail buck? It doesn't happen often. Even the so called experts can't make that statement. Is it possible? Probably , but a lot of hours logged and pre season scouting 24-7. Who has that much time? I sure as hell don't!
I agree with Tay and Cotty on this. Right place at the right time and knowing your travel corridors and bedding and feeding areas and an ASS load of luck!
Oh, by the way. I love deer hunting TOO.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I LOVE IT TOO!!

I just try to hunt between feeding and bedding, smoke up, and wait.

Honestly I could shoot does for the rest of my life, and be a happy camper! I love killing deer with a bow!

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I would rather be lucky then good any day of the week. It is being in the right place at the right time. We can narrow some odds but its always a challenge. That's what keeps me climbing in the stand every chance I get.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I also don't love it as I used to....

Part of that reason is I realize that what made me happy when I was younger, doesn't now. Unfortunately, I still hunt the same way. I scout the same amount, and put less time in the stand, yet expect more results. I'm smart enough to realize it, but don't do anything to change it. I also realize the longer I've been hunting, the less I think I know...

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I feel better now. I never killed a deer before the second week of October in my spots so I should know what to expect early season.