Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I know

buckstar25

T-county
By the looks of that first picture, this buck should be named Randy Johnson.....I finally see one that hasn't been claimed. Congrats.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
It was this flat lander. I will type this story up now since the hunt lasted nearly 5 minutes. The buck below is one that Ryan (redhunter) and I called blade, due to the palmation on his left side. We have had numerous trail cam pictures of this guy, just never had a chance to lay "confirmed" eyes on him in the field. Sunday evening I climbed into the stand at roughly 445 pm, a tad late because of a much needed mid day nap. The rain had stopped and the temps were diving back down to where they should be for late October. Once in the stand, I settled my arrow into its resting place and took a minute or two to cool down before putting on my headgear and gloves. A few minutes had passed as I let things settle and then threw on the face mask and gloves. I immediately grabbed the antlers (thanks Red), and tickled them a little for roughly 15 seconds, just in case deer were close by. I waited a few moments and then started banging them, knowing the NE wind would kill the distance the noise would travel. I did a 30 second sequence and hung the antlers up. No longer did I get the antlers back on the hook, I thought I heard charging footsteps. With the wind I wasn't sure and hesitated grabbing the bow. MISTAKE. This 10 point closed the distance quickly and before I knew it, he was 20 yards out. I glanced slightly back at my bow to assure I was grabbing what I needed and when I looked back, I saw a set of horns and eyes looking at me. Surely I am busted. The buck didn't see my movements but didn't like the fact that there were no bucks contending each other either. He continued on to my left at a trot. I scrambled to get my release hooked and immediately started looking for an opening. At roughly 32 yards a gave him the iconic "baah". I repeated this with a little more sternness, "baah.......bahh". He finally stops, quartering away at roughly 40 yards, at least that is what I was guessing. I went through the mental checklist real quick and let the arrow fly. I watched the red lighted nock disappear perfectly behind the shoulder. The 10 point took off, his front legs struggling to keep up with his back legs. It sounded like a herd of elephants going through the thickets and just as quick as it happened, all was quiet. I sat down a moment to collect my thoughts, this hunt was only 5 minutes long and I simply couldn't comprehend what had just happened. Once the adrenaline allowed me to climb down, I made a quick call to Ryan, and I headed back to the truck. I knew he was dead, but wanted Ryan to come along for the final stages of the hunt. Definitely one that I will always remember and surely share often. We were even able to grab Ryan's oldest child Grayson and take him on his first blood trail. He won't score well, but then again, I really don't keep score either.

2016 buck 2.jpg2016 buck.jpgdeer.jpg

Last edited: