Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

i dont get it

yotehunter

spencerville oh
:smiley_chinrub: I was in a debate with a guy about Ohio having a earn a buck tag system. This guy was all for killing more does to earn a buck tag. I asked why? He said and I quote that way the horn hunters earn their buck. That is when I realized what I was dealing with. I asked him just because they shoot a yearling doe means then they can shoot a buck?. I told him true horn hunters probably spend three times the amount of time earning their horns then he probably did so how are they not earning their deer. I also expressed to him that a guy with one or two days to hunt shouldn't have to pass up a buck because he hasn't shot a doe. He said there is too many does and it has ruined Ohio's deer hunting. I told him if he was that overrun with does consider himself lucky because it wont be long with that killem all attitude he won't have any deer too hunt. And I told him he will be the first to bitch because there isn't any deer around and wonder why. Just wondered your guys thoughts, maybe I'm wrong here but in my area we can't be killing does just too kill them let alone just to earn a buck tag.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What Brock said. You might as well have been talking to the wall. Some people get it. Some don't. If you educate him a bit at a time, he 'might' get it. If he has his mind made up, you are wasting your breath.

runhunter

Well I wish you would talk to the state of NJ and explain that to them. Our season opens in some areas on Sept 13, with the EAB in place. What happens? Everyone shoots the first button buck, or yearling they see, and 90% of the time, it's over a pile, just so they can fill their tag and hunt horns. The sad thing is, those same zones with EAB, also have unlimited anterless bag limits, until the end of January. They get a solid 2 months, where the clubs of 40-50 guys, driving deer every weekend. I'll never understand that concept of making archery guys EAB, when you can kill unlimited does ALL year long.

I guess the bottom line is the state isn't managing anything except for trying to keep #'s down. It's sad...

I never understood that mentality of 'earn a buck' either. If anyone truly cares about the property they are hunting they would harvest does if it is needed and cut back before you have a herd crash. Then again, not many people have that mentality either and sit there wondering where all the deer went....

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I never understood that mentality of 'earn a buck' either. If anyone truly cares about the property they are hunting they would harvest does if it is needed and cut back before you have a herd crash. Then again, not many people have that mentality either and sit there wondering where all the deer went....

This is exactly how I feel and I do understand the mentality of a lot of people. All we can do is try and make them understand and if just one thing I said sank in too this guys head, I did all I can do. Just wish there was more true sportsmen then just hunters.

If you think about it though, many of these guys have had it beat into their head....shoot does....shoot does, as if that's the holy grail answer to making their hunting better. In some cases maybe that is the case but to think everyone in an entire county or region has to do it before shooting a buck is just plain silly. How does anyone know what people or groups of people in an area have been doing over the years and if their properties can even handle everyone shooting a doe before going after a buck.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
I
If you think about it though, many of these guys have had it beat into their head....shoot does....shoot does, as if that's the holy grail answer to making their hunting better. In some cases maybe that is the case but to think everyone in an entire county or region has to do it before shooting a buck is just plain silly. How does anyone know what people or groups of people in an area have been doing over the years and if their properties can even handle everyone shooting a doe before going after a buck.
I agree some places may need a few more does shot to maintain a healthy herd. But I'm like you I personally don't believe the whole state does. The last four years the population has really dwindled in my area, and its sounds like it has elsewhere also. And hopefully DNR is making some adjustments and taking in some of our complaints.