Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Wayne National Forest

etboxcalls

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me out here. My buddies and I have been hunting the Wayne National Forest for a few years now near the Nelsonville/ Logan area. In those years, collectively we have seen VERY few deer but we aren't seeing a ton of hunters either. Here and there at a few areas we've hunted we've come across people but not very often. My question is this, is there any certain tracts or areas around there that anyone would recommend? This year we are looking for tracts that we can go deep and get away from the easily accessible areas. We are all from Pa and hunt these deer very much like we would back home, hunting the ridges, saddle, and looking for funnels but it just hasn't been producing. The area we're hunting is pretty rugged terrain with some high ridges and very deep hollows, just feels like we're missing something here. I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone had any advice. I'm not looking for secret spots or anything like that just trying to figure this place out. Thanks

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree with Jesse, its very spotty nowadays. Some areas are very sparce and others seem to have plenty. We just don't have the numbers like we use too plain and simple just like your home state of PA.
Good luck in finding a good place to hunt this season and be safe.

Last edited:
I agree with Jesse, things have changed significantly the last 5-10 years. Maybe try more remote portions of the Wayne, like into Vinton County. Even though you aren't seeing many people doesn't mean that area you have been hunting has had it's share of hunting and deer killing. Different scenery might be just what the doc ordered.

etboxcalls

Thank you guys....thats kind of what I figured but I was just looking for some insight. I know theres no magic in this just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. The problem we're having is that we only get out there for 5 days and a lot of times we're scouting as we're hunting which is not the way I like to do things. Been trying to organize a spring/ summer trip out to do some scouting but things have come up that prevented us from coming out. I've been looking over some maps of the area and I'm hoping to find an area that we can put some miles behind us to get back away from the beaten path. If anyone knows of any access points I'd be interested in checking them out. Last year we hunted an area of Sunday Coal Company land off of New Pittsburgh Road and a tract near New Straitsville. Both really nice areas but didn't have much luck. Thanks again for the advice guys. Good luck this season

doublej

If you don't have time to scout so much in person..google earth can do wonders!! I've gone in areas I've only scouted on google earth before and never even seen till that hunt and seen deer and or a ton of sign..just got to know what to look for

Mushijobah

Topo tool is key in 90-100% wooded property. It's the only way you can penetrate the tops of thre treees and find ravines, benches, saddles, and bottoms. It makes sense out of a homogeneous woodland.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Where the hell is george when you need him???????????????????? :smiley_crocodile::smiley_carnaval::smiley_crazy:

teej89

NE PA
where in PA you from? I grew up central PA, blair county. I feel your pain. When I first came out here, growing up hunting the mountains for deer I was looking for the saddles and deep hollows and they just don't have much of that around here. Not to the extreme we did in PA.

etboxcalls

teej89, Im from NE Pa (Schuylkill County)and I know what your saying. I've been looking over the aerial and topo maps and the area we are hunting has a lot of hollows but they are really extreme. THe area we hunted last year was reclaimed mining land and it was rugged as heck. Last year I focused on a few saddles that I found on the topo map but no luck. Will give it another go this November on a few areas that look good on the topo maps.

joejoe8

I hunt a piece of public land not far from one of the area's you mention. We hunt it during the rut, very hit or miss the last few years. I think with the acorns this year public land will be better than in the past. We do not see many deer but we always see or have pix of 1or2 good one's. Good Luck!