Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Lease.....

Fletch

Supporting Member
I'm still looking for a spot to hunt in Ohio this year and was checking out some ad's in some of the local Ohio papers for a possible lease when I came across 110 acres @ approx. $30 an acre.. Comes to $3000.00... A little more than I was looking for as how many times am I going to use it??? I called the guy and its still available... Property was in Guernsey County... Since I'm not interested I figured I'd mention it here so fellow TOO members might consider it.... If interested PM me and I'll give you the guys number...

Gordo

Athens County
It's the way the world turns.

I've never straight up leased land, but have my favorite spots pretty well locked down by takeing care of the property owners in different ways. Bush hogging/mowing grass/watching pets. I do enough that anyone who does come knocking doesn't stand much of a chance. Makes me just as guilty.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County

I've never straight up leased land, but have my favorite spots pretty well locked down by takeing care of the property owners in different ways. Bush hogging/mowing grass/watching pets. I do enough that anyone who does come knocking doesn't stand much of a chance. Makes me just as guilty.
Not IMO, I try to help out when I can.

30.00 and acre???? Is it me or does that seem ridiculous?

When I first started looking at hunting in Ohio, I started looking at leases. That seemed to be about the going rate and that was per hunter. Also alot of them were predominately field so the available amount of land to actually hang a treestand was limited. It didn't take long for me to realize that I should just buy some property especially since I have 3 kids that hunt. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against leasing and wouldn't rule it out for myself one day, but if you are looking for something long term purchasing seems to be the way to go. Also you don't have the risk of the owner selling and you find yourself out of a place to hunt. Downside with purchasing is that you are tied to that place pretty much. Here is an example of a lease that I was seeing.

http://www.basecampleasing.com/6253/Muskingum-County-Ohio-Hunting-Lease.html

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
But that's an agent, what's he paying vs what he's charging ?

I'd be knocking on doors and being my own agent and save the $$$$

jlane

dunn nc

Nothing wrong with helping landowners out.
It may be doing things for,with, or about them, also paying them money, either way it's all about what one feels is right in their minds.
I know some frowns on leasing, but with time avialability and doing family time some of us don't have the time too spend doing chores and favors.
So with all that it leaves the money issues, and some land owners had rather have money for taxes or the extra income. Me having some land here at home and the taxes we enjoy the farm lease money for tax payment.
So to each his own as far as how we do it, either with time or money.
look at the time you spend doing for the landowners and times that with what you would have made at work plus overtime and see what it comes out to be.
For me I.m better off with giving them money. sorry for the long post.

But that's an agent, what's he paying vs what he's charging ?

I'd be knocking on doors and being my own agent and save the $$$$

I would too. Like I said I started on that route, but quickly changed. Part of it was my wife saying that she would prefer if we were spending the money that we would have a camp of our own. Made the decision pretty easy. LOL.

jlane

dunn nc

Not if you and a couple of buddies can get together on the lease.
If it;s for only one person I;d leave it alone.
3000.00 for only one buck, naw, three guys or three bucks doable.

One word of caution with newspaper or craiglist ads. There are alot of scammers out there. If I was to do a lease, I would need to see a deed to the property to make sure. Alot of people have gotten scammed, by someone selling leases to property they didn't own. Also have heard horror stories about someone getting a lease only to find out the property owner and his family still hunt it. You have to make sure everything is spelled out exactly how you want it.

jlane

dunn nc
Came across this a couple weeks ago, lasted about 7 days. KIMG1386.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One word of caution with newspaper or craiglist ads. There are alot of scammers out there. If I was to do a lease, I would need to see a deed to the property to make sure. Alot of people have gotten scammed, by someone selling leases to property they didn't own. Also have heard horror stories about someone getting a lease only to find out the property owner and his family still hunt it. You have to make sure everything is spelled out exactly how you want it.

This is why it's good to meet, walk the property and write it all out.... Get it notarized....

Fletch

Supporting Member

"J" Unfortunately that's not far off the norm per acre for a lease... Times sure have changed from when I grew up in Western Pa. Back then you just about hunted where you wanted and was welcome wherever you went. Just hunt. I guess the landowners are seeing a way to make some extra money, however some take advantage of it and keep wanting more... Just the way things are today... Myself I'd like to find a little chunk of private property to hunt as we all know public land is pounded.. I ran an ad in Farm & Dairy the last two weeks, but got no reponse.. I'll probably head out to Illinois first week of March shed hunting and I'll spend an extra day in Ohio knocking on doors.. Maybe I'll get lucky..

jlane

dunn nc
I'm still looking for a spot to hunt in Ohio this year and was checking out some ad's in some of the local Ohio papers for a possible lease when I came across 110 acres @ approx. $30 an acre.. Comes to $3000.00... A little more than I was looking for as how many times am I going to use it??? I called the guy and its still available... Property was in Guernsey County... Since I'm not interested I figured I'd mention it here so fellow TOO members might consider it.... If interested PM me and I'll give you the guys number...

Heck at that price you can hunt with me, all you have to do is show up with bow in hand get in my stand over plot or bait and shoot.
Garantee you will see at least a 130 class buck or 1/3 money back

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J" Unfortunately that's not far off the norm per acre for a lease... Times sure have changed from when I grew up in Western Pa. Back then you just about hunted where you wanted and was welcome wherever you went. Just hunt. I guess the landowners are seeing a way to make some extra money, however some take advantage of it and keep wanting more... Just the way things are today... Myself I'd like to find a little chunk of private property to hunt as we all know public land is pounded.. I ran an ad in Farm & Dairy the last two weeks, but got no reponse.. I'll probably head out to Illinois first week of March shed hunting and I'll spend an extra day in Ohio knocking on doors.. Maybe I'll get lucky..

Hope it works out for ya buddy....