Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Gear/Equipment Hoarding

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I've been thinking about this lately and Toke2's thread got me thinking about it more.

Every year before a big hunt or opening day I always go through this "shopping / hoarding phase" where I look for some sort of equipment or gear to make me more successful in the woods. The hard truth is nothing I have ever bought has increased my success rate, but regardless I still go through this "black Friday" shopping thing every year.

This year I've looked at new quivers (even though the one I have is just fine), portable heaters (I'm getting one for when I camp out in my truck and might use it on stand in January), gloves, hats, straps for my tree steps, new tree stands (lone wolf) and probably another 1000 other things I don't need.

Sometimes I really do need the gear, but the majority of the time I don't. I have more hunting gear than I'll ever be able to use. I have even sold and given away some of it, but regardless every year I still buy some stupid item that that I might use one season.

Anyone else do this?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Confessions of a gear whore...

Yes, not with just hunting. Actually less with hunting now and more with guns, ammo and cooking stuff.

Men are natural gear whores.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm a whore.
With lots of plastic totes. Clear ones so I can see my whore stash.
What I need is less gear and more time. <sigh>

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Confessions of a gear whore...

Yes, not with just hunting. Actually less with hunting now and more with guns, ammo and cooking stuff.

Men are natural gear whores.
Word. I've been consumed by gadgets since I was a kid. Actually thought about this as I was spreading stuff out in the blind last night. I'd rather have something and not need it, than need it and not have it. My mom is a hoarder (mild case) and my dad loves stuff as much as the next guy. So much so, he has multiple properties with multiple buildings to stash his plethora of toys and tools. So I got it honest!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
As I get older I go through thinning out the herd days.... My amount of clutter and hunting stuff is manageable, now if I could do that with my fishing stuff, my boat would be 5 mph faster....

Jal5

I’m not so bad with hunting or fishing stuff but tools are another matter. I get that from my dad- he would collect stuff from relatives who passed away and when he passed... my hoarding increased!

Wmiller07

Yes I love gagets and gear. I kind of go in phases where I'll get gun stuff for awhile, then hunting gear, then knives. It's a vicious cycle.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Same here. Every year I tell myself that I "have everything I need" now. Sadly, I'm never satisfied. There's always something else, something more. I can't say it's money wasted, though. Usually everything I buy has a purpose and gets used, and ultimately helps me be successful. This year I bought a nice rangefinder, which I've never owned, and some First Lite merino wool garments, which I fuggin love btw. The last three days I've hunted from legal shooting light to almost 2:00 pm. I've had a lot of time to contemplate gear. One thing that keeps popping in my head is heated insoles, like the Thermocells. I have to believe they be a game changer on these all day sits. But do I NEED them???

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Same here. Every year I tell myself that I "have everything I need" now. Sadly, I'm never satisfied. There's always something else, something more. I can't say it's money wasted, though. Usually everything I buy has a purpose and gets used, and ultimately helps me be successful. This year I bought a nice rangefinder, which I've never owned, and some First Lite merino wool garments, which I fuggin love btw. The last three days I've hunted from legal shooting light to almost 2:00 pm. I've had a lot of time to contemplate gear. One thing that keeps popping in my head is heated insoles, like the Thermocells. I have to believe they be a game changer on these all day sits. But do I NEED them???

After yesterday, I’m seriously thinking this thru lol

IMG_0251.jpg

Only thing is their sizes, really I wear an xlarge????

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You are not alone TF. I was going to unload a bunch of gear this fall. Then my youngest shot up 7" in the last 12mo to 5'5". May as well hold onto it a couple years until he passes me. Then offload it. I oly splurged on a couple pair of boots since last season. Bought them in the off season at major discounts. I'm sort of proud of myself. When it comes to shop stuff. . . Different story.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My buddy bought two pairs. Both sucked. These arrive tonight. My feet were frozen all day yesterday despite my body being pretty comfortable all day. Enough of that shit!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
My buddy bought two pairs. Both sucked. These arrive tonight. My feet were frozen all day yesterday despite my body being pretty comfortable all day. Enough of that shit!

Been looking at these as well... I’ll wait for your review of them lol... I had a pair years ago but they were 4sizes too big and did t work for shit.... Got em for almost nothing used so wasn’t out much...

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Better still use foot warmers. I hunted with those boot covers last January. It was 7°, 800 gram insulation boots, and those over top, feet still froze. It was 7° though lol