Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting accident, be careful!!!!!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
That guy should never be allowed to hunt anything ever again and this is exactly my chief complaint with free use of xbows. It allows a lot of sloppy hunters in the woods during bow season to test out their gun hunting skills.

Dude..........really?

rsmith

Yeah ban crossbows that will solve the problem. No dumb assholes running around the woods with compound bows.

Spot on. Had a trespasser last year with his girl friend and they had compound bows. I whistled at them to get there attention and both them drew there bows back and pointed in my direction. I was in the tree and they were aiming on the group. I yelled at them and exchanged a couple words and called the warden cause I knew they didn't have permission to be back here or on the property that they said they were going to and also they didn't have license or tags. He came and met them at the property as they were leaving and they ended up getting license privileges taken for 3 years because of prior violations with the guy for poaching and trespassing. Long story short idiots are everywhere and carry every weapon they decide, no need to point fingers at the weapon of choice though, it's simply a tool.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That guy should never be allowed to hunt anything ever again and this is exactly my chief complaint with free use of xbows. It allows a lot of sloppy hunters in the woods during bow season to test out their gun hunting skills.

And if the guy had used a compound what would of your opinion been then?

Idiots come in all shape and sizes, they use different methods of hunting weather it be compounds or xbows.... Too throw a blanket statement like that out just shows your prejudice against Xbow users is all....

We've heard about the same situations over the years of gun hunters doing the same, weather it be chasing deer, turkey or even rabbits and dumbasses will take dumb shots at something they're not sure of even what they're shooting at..... Or what's behind it just because they're so consumed with the shot.... The trophy or for whatever reason....

Lots of folks on here use xbows, me included and I for one have always been ethical with my shots weather I was using a compound years ago or my Xbow which I use now....

This clown shot at something he thought was a buck, low light shooting and he didn't see what his mind was telling him what was there.... He could of been using a recurve and done the same stupid shot....

Lundy

It took 38 posts for the crossbow bashing to start. Much longer than I expected.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It took 38 posts for the crossbow bashing to start. Much longer than I expected.

I don't think one post constitutes "crossbow bashing" as you put it.

I used to be one crossbow bashing mofo. Not because of the bow itself. But mostly the ease at which it allowed completely inept morons to enter the woods. I used to hunt public land which as we know for some reason tends to concentrate the goobers of the hunting world. Let me tell you I've ran in to some doozies out there. Most often they were toting a crossbow so I believe that skewed my observations. Then I spent a little time at archery counters at various stores. I quickly realized there's plenty of morons that shoot compounds too. I've listened to enough hunting tales from both sides to come to realize 1. There's a lot of idiots in the woods. 2. They shoot both compounds and crossbows. I am a firm believer that some sort of archery class should be mandatory to hunt deer with a bow in Ohio. It's beyond me how we require a trappers ed class but not one for archery.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I've been guilty of entering and exiting without a light. Although I hunt property were there are few to no others hunting, I can't guarantee that. Lights on for this guy.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I used to be one crossbow bashing mofo. Not because of the bow itself. But mostly the ease at which it allowed completely inept morons to enter the woods.

There you have it. And yes, could you have pulled the same move with a recurve, absolutely... Is someone who goes and puts that much into hunting that style going to be that reckless? You keep telling yourself that to feel better about your xbow.

And sure it could have happened with the compound too. But I guess I busy happened to have gotten lucky that I hate xbows and it happened with one, lol, smdh.

I'm not going to turn this into a xbow debate or criticize you for using a xbow, though I certainly got plenty jabs cocked, pun intended. Point is, a xbow far easier allowed a goon into the woods.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've been guilty of entering and exiting without a light. Although I hunt property were there are few to no others hunting, I can't guarantee that. Lights on for this guy.

Same here. When I first heard about this I thought "man I'm glad I don't share the woods with anyone". After thinking about it, I can't say that for sure. If someone is dumb or careless enough to shoot at moving grass they may be trespassing or closer to my stand than they should be. I can totally picture someone crossing over a property line before first light and shooting me on my way to the stand after hearing this story. Lights from here on out for me also.

I wouldn't want to be shot with any kind of bow or gun.

Lundy

You keep telling yourself that to feel better about your xbow.

I'm not going to turn this into a xbow debate or criticize you for using a xbow,

Your assumption is misplaced, I've never used a crossbow to hunt, Started with a bear Whitetail compound in the 70's and have hunted with a compound ever since.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
There you have it. And yes, could you have pulled the same move with a recurve, absolutely... Is someone who goes and puts that much into hunting that style going to be that reckless? You keep telling yourself that to feel better about your xbow.

And sure it could have happened with the compound too. But I guess I busy happened to have gotten lucky that I hate xbows and it happened with one, lol, smdh.

I'm not going to turn this into a xbow debate or criticize you for using a xbow, though I certainly got plenty jabs cocked, pun intended. Point is, a xbow far easier allowed a goon into the woods.

Don't take what I say out of context to support your point. . Quote it in it's entirety as I later pointe out why that logic is flawed.

Let it go bud. We're not turning this in to a debate over crossbows.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Don't take what I say out of context to support your point. . Quote it in it's entirety as I later pointe out why that logic is flawed.

Let it go bud. We're not turning this in to a debate over crossbows.
No shit, we don't need this one spiraling out of control.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Your assumption is misplaced, I've never used a crossbow to hunt, Started with a bear Whitetail compound in the 70's and have hunted with a compound ever since.

I still have my first bear blackbear compound in the garage.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446137975.358701.jpg