Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting accident, be careful!!!!!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Holy crap this is nuts. I hope he make a full recovery! There's was a boy scout that was teaching archery to some of the cub scouts at camp who was shot in the shin by his uncle with a crossbow. He showed me the scar. Fixed 3 blade broad head.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
WOW! Scary stuff. I hope he makes a full recovery. Just plain scary.

One thing that kind of threw me though was he said "if it was a mechanical It would have killed me." Just wondering what his thought pattern behind that was.

I assumed he meant bigger hole, more damage and blood loss. Or it was close to an artery, not sure though.

He said he lost a lot of blood and they were in a remote area so it took awhile for them to get there. Still kind of in shock from talking to him and a bunch of questions have popped up in my mind since I hung up the phone. I'm gonna go see him soon so I'm sure I'll hear more of the details.

townzen

Just one more reason I give my little one that extra hug when I head out. It takes a special kind of dumb to shoot at something when you are not sure what it is. Glad your buddy is alive. Best of luck.

Gordo

Athens County
What a fuggin wreck of a situation that could have been avoided. At least no one is dead.

Good reminder to always use some kind of light. You never know who else is in the woods. Last thing we all need is to be shot by some moron while we are coming/going to our stands.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Horrible incident, sheer stupidity to fire an arrow,without picking the exact spot you want to hit a deer.
I have been hunting many years and been out in the woods with probably more than 100 "hunters", you would not believe how many smoked dope, hashish and jack Daniels.. case of budweiser opening day..I have encountered, even one heroin addict. Usually a case where my hunting partner surprised me by dragging some goofball along to push deer.
I hope the shooter spends 6 months in prison. I remember the guy from the other forum who was killed with a muzzleloader at Grand River Public area. The shooter in that case was not even arrested.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
Five years ago 3 miles up the road from my house a man was shot and killed on opening day of rifle season. I know the man who fired the shot. He's not a close friend or anything but I know who he is. He's been a hunter his whole life and as far as I know a good guy. No trouble with the law ever or anything like that. It was the only day in our zone you could shoot any deer. We refer to it as "brown and down day". Things can and do get a little nuts on that day. There were a group of 3 guys hunting the same area as the shooter. From what I understand one guy decided to get on the ground and crawl through a thick area trying to jump deer. He was not wearing any orange. The guy I know thought what he saw crawling through the brush was a doe and he shot. He shot the man through the neck and killed him instantly. I was home that day and I'm pretty sure I heard the shot. Very eerie to have something like that and this story by Joel to happen with people you know. It really hits home when it's not just a news story on TV or in the paper. The shooter is now in prison after being found guilty of negligent homicide (I think that was the charge). Bottom line is we own that bullet, sabot or arrow as soon as it is fired. No taking it back once you pull the trigger. We need to be 100% sure of our target and what is behind it. Once you're 100% sure check again. Wounding or killing another person is a mistake I can't imagine living with.

Joel, I wish your friend the best of luck in his recovery.

Last edited:

Lundy

Joel,

I'm sure you friend has already thought about this but he is very fortunate his hunting partner that night was just as bad of a shot as he was a hunter.

A friend of mine hunting turkeys with me many years ago, the owner of a bowshop in Grove City, was shot by another turkey hunter, fortunately he was hit in the hand and arm and had no life threatening injuries, but he still required multiple surgeries and a long recovery.

DandaMan

Glad your buddy is going to be ok.

I always make my daughter tell me the rules of safe gun handling when we are shooting. On sunday she gave me grief about how anyone could mistake a person for a deer. She will be reading this story when she gets home from school.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
That's some shitty news. I hope your buddy was ok, but he was doing the same thing the other guy was. Stalking in low light conditions. He just ended up on the wring side of the arrow so to speak. I hope he makes a quick recovery. Doesn't sound like it will be though. As for the window licking jack ass that pulled the trigger, fugg em. He will get his in the end Im sure.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Hoping to the best. In the late 1950's a guy I ran around with somewhat was shot in the back by a friend squirrel hunting. Been in a wheelchair for 55 plus years now.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Reading the OP nearly made me nauseous and pissed! No amount of "I'm sorry's" and any other fucking excuses the £€>#££>>%>££>!€€€>>>€ who shot him could ever satisfy me what so ever!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion his name should be mentioned in every instance this story pops up via internet or other bullshit session! Lundy is right, pure negligence and stupidity on his part. It's sad that we have idiots like this sharing the outdoors! Damn this pisses the heck out of me! NUFF said!!!!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Something I left out is it was his niece's husband that shot him. My impression I get from that is he was allowed to tag along but I doubt they were real close. I think the others hunting were closer family members, brothers etc. Picturing a young guy that he didn't know real well and he was just being nice letting him tag along.

I know this guy had his whole schedule cleared for a week, had beer and food for the guests, putting them all up at his house and went out a few weeks prior and bought treestands for everybody, went and hung them up and was in general really going out of his way to accommodate this group and make sure they had a good time. Knowing all the trouble he went through and how nice of a guy he is just makes it all that much worse for me. Really sucks.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
That guy should never be allowed to hunt anything ever again and this is exactly my chief complaint with free use of xbows. It allows a lot of sloppy hunters in the woods during bow season to test out their gun hunting skills.

rsmith

Wow Joel, terriable think that happened right there. Wish for a speedy and full recovery for him. He seems like a heck of a guy to treat everyone like that and get them all set up and ready to go with stands and all. Praying for him