Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunters check 73k deer

http://www.wtol.com/story/36998664/hunters-check-nearly-73k-deer-in-weeklong-hunting-season

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - State officials say hunters checked nearly 73,000 white-tailed deer during Ohio's weeklong deer-gun hunting season.

The Ohio Department of Natural Resources says 72,814 deer were checked last week. Hunters last year checked more than 66,700 deer over the weeklong period.

Hunters will have two more days of deer-gun season on Dec. 16 and Dec. 17.

The department says Ohio ranks fifth nationally in resident hunters and 11th in the number of jobs associated with hunting-related industries.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation's Hunting in America: An Economic Force for Conservation publication says hunting has a more than $853 million economic impact in Ohio.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
And it should be one less to omit the penned buck that guy shot ....if he did indeed tag it as a wild deer .

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Almost perfect weather
Yep. Then You have guys like me. I normally try to be done before gun season. I wasn't this year. Monday and Friday I finished my season. I really believe many guys went out and took care of business last week. I do struggle to believe ANY numbers they give us though. 750,000 deer for how many years straight?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I saw 6 from the road in Coshocton and Holmes yesterday. Today in a 10 miles stretch, I passed not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 trucks pulling trailers loaded with quads and corn. All with WV plates. I'd love to see the NR vs. resident numbers, especially for border counties. I'm convinced there's more WV residents hunting Washington County than residents at this point.

Bigcountry40

Good enough for me.

Corn. That's why I believe it. Piles of it everywhere.

In Tuscarwaras down the road from me, the Amish had the largest corn pile I have ever seen, literally as long and wide as a compact car. I didnt think it was corn, it was the sunday before Gun season and I was about 4 beers deep, I wish I woud have had my phone and taken a picture

Bigcountry40

I saw 6 from the road in Coshocton and Holmes yesterday. Today in a 10 miles stretch, I passed not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 trucks pulling trailers loaded with quads and corn. All with WV plates. I'd love to see the NR vs. resident numbers, especially for border counties. I'm convinced there's more WV residents hunting Washington County than residents at this point.

I think your correct, I don't believe the odnr #s on non residents either